Pole saw

• charlieb
  • charlieb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #123779 by charlieb
Pole saw was created by charlieb
Anyone have any recommendations on a good polesaw that can be brought into the tree.
Thanks for any input,
CharlieB.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #123785 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Pole saw
You might take a look at one of the laminated ash octagonal (cross-section) single piece poles. They're really nice to handle in a tree, I think a 12 ft length is pretty good. I'm curious to hear what others like.
-moss

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125348 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Poel Saws
I have used the basic pole Saws from the H-Depot. The ones w/ extendable poles are nice because you can reach far away and do more work without having to reposition on the tree. I make sure the pole is always tied to a rope of some type just in case I have to let it go in a hurry it will not drop on the ground or worse falls in something or someone on the ground where I am working. make sure the saw is very sharp it makes your work easier and the cuts are cleaner and safer for the tree. I may buy a higher quality one later on if I continue to work and my and neighbors trees on a regular basis. It is kind of fun because you have a specific goal after you are on the tree. i also carry a foldable saw for stuff near my hand or larger cuts.

• charlieb
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125349 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Pole saw
Thanks guys.
I was told by a sales rep. and Nick also, that a polesaw should have a hook on the backside to hang it from a limb or to use to re-direct your rope. I imagine also to carry it or lower it down. The rep. also said the aluminum handles would bend and be ruined if it was dropped and so it is better to get a fiberglas pole.
Anyone else have any other thoughts?
Charlie.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125352 by blakeshitch
Replied by blakeshitch on topic Pole saw
Sherrill sells an adapter that turns a Big Shot pole into a pole saw (catalog #28718).

• charlieb
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125353 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Pole saw
Great idea. I have a bigshot and this could extend the polesaw much further.
Thanks Blakeshitch.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125379 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Pole saw
Just wanted to update my ill-informed comments about wood handled pole saws.

1. The pole my arborist friend was using was segmented wood not single piece. Also not laminated. Where do I get my wrong ideas? :-) The thing was so nice to handle that I came to some wrong conclusions when I was trying to remember the details a couple weeks later.

Further comments from him this weekend about pole material choice:
1. Ash poles are lighter than fiberglass poles
2. Don't use wood poles around electrical wires, use fiberglass. (non-conducting)

I found a source for segmented ash or basswood poles. Basswood (Linden) is lighter than ash but not as strong. This is direct from the pole manufacturer:
http://www.peaveymfg.com/pruner.html
-moss

More
4 years 4 months ago #139576 by Mitch123
Replied by Mitch123 on topic Pole saw
Hi There, newbie here. I tried searching for some forums about tree trimming and gardening, and I came around this forum. I just want to check if you have any feedback about GreenWorks Pole Saw - I saw a good review here - thewiredshopper.com/best-pole-saws-to-buy. I will basically use this for trimming our Hawthorn which is really getting very thick.

More
4 years 4 months ago #139577 by patty
Replied by patty on topic Pole saw
Hi Mitch,
We at TCI don't know anything about this saw. You might put up a post on TreeBuzz or check the vendor sites for reviews.
Patty

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds