• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 2 weeks ago - 20 years 2 weeks ago #123570 by nickfromwi
Treeboat Tie-in.... was created by nickfromwi
How do y'all tie in when chillin' in the treeboat (or other aerial hammock)? I usually tie is DdRT as usual, but I will use a shorter line elswhere in the tree to put a redirect so that my tie in point will be directly over my head.

Anyone else take precautions to prevent mid-sleep swings?

A precaution such as this may be necessary if I should decide to put a hole in the middle of the boat!!!!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 weeks ago - 20 years 2 weeks ago #123567 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic
I leave my climbing line setup and ready to go within reach of my portaledge. When I'm in bed I use a long, 5/8" supertape webbing sling to tie in short. The saddle end is girth hitched and the other is binered to the apex of the webbing supports. Most times, but not always, I wear my rock climbing harness under my New Tribe saddle. Then, when it's time to lay back, I clip in the webbing and take off the NT saddle. If I do need to make a quick decent I can always exit in my rock saddle.

Not having all that hardware and padding in my sleeping bag makes for a better nights sleep.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 2 weeks ago - 20 years 2 weeks ago #123573 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic
I used a Speer hammock, and I just put extra slack in my Blakes so that I could roll over to each side and stayed tied in to my climbing line the whole time. Like Tom, I had a rock climbing harness, and took off my NT harness in order to sleep. I would have like to use a short tie in, but couldn't determine an easy way to do it. I had to have my rope go around around two other aerial campers, under the rainfly and through the mosquito netting of the hammock.

Patrick

More
20 years 2 weeks ago - 20 years 2 weeks ago #123581 by blakeshitch
Replied by blakeshitch on topic
I too stayed tied in with DRT directly overhead. I try to set up with a handy limb to step onto should I need to answer nature's call during the night. I pull a sleeping bag up to the carabiner at my waist and use a fleece blanket above that.

Also, I too have used a rock climbing harness for sleeping but I find that if I remove all the gear from the NT harness it's just as comfortable.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123707 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic 2 Inch Strapping Makes a Reliable Harness
The purpose of this entry is to describe 2 inch strapping as a possible security harness in an overnight stay in a tree.

"On Rope" describes the use of a strapping loop as an emergency harness. I did a climb with it today. It was comfortable to my surprise. As usual, this configuration is easy to put on, but it's painful to describe. For my 6'1" frame, it takes 12' of strapping to make this single loop. Under tension this emergency harness holds in place. I'm uncertain how it would be under slack. Some evaluation would be needed.

Lastly the Boys Scouts of America sells a merit badge book on Rock Climbing that describes two harness configurations made from strapping. Unlike the "On Rope" version, these hold shape with slack. It takes 25' of strapping to make these.

I'm actually a Treeboat virgin. I thought of this thread while trying out the emergency harness made from 2 inch wide strapping.

Regards,
JimK

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124295 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic
Last week I tried something I thought I'd share. It's similar to what JimK mentions. When I am rock climbing, I'll often use a 48" sewn sling as a make-shift harness for when I am setting up the anchor at the top of the ledge. This is not designed for fall protection, but I can put my weight in it and I can get close to the edge of the rock without feeling like a slip would end my life.

So i climbed a Euc in my Master II saddle, set up the Treeboat, then when I was ready to get in, I put that 48" sling around my waist and through my legs like I do when rock climbing, then attached that to another sling tied to the tree. Then I took off the MII saddle. This was a sweet setup.

No offense to the New Tribe people, but I don't yet have 100% confidence in my treeboat. I move very slowly when I'm in it. I lay in there and plan for what I'd do if the bottom just blew open. I would not feel good at all if I had to go through a blow-out while in the sling/harness thing, but i'd survive (maybe!)

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124313 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic

Originally posted by NickfromWI
Last week I tried something I thought I'd share. It's similar to what JimK mentions. When I am rock climbing, I'll often use a 48" sewn sling as a make-shift harness...

...No offense to the New Tribe people, but I don't yet have 100% confidence in my treeboat. I move very slowly when I'm in it. I lay in there and plan for what I'd do if the bottom just blew open...

It’s good to see that its not just “me” that feels less than secure in a tree boat. With the top off its not too bad, but with the tent on & closed and the loss of my ability to “see” my surroundings, I move very gently. Never seem to get used to moving around blind up there.

Also, your idea of using the 48” sewn sling sounds comfortable as compared to resting in a work harness, especially in hot weather.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds