Portaledges. Who likes what brand and why?

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122984 by treeman
There are around 5-6 manufacturers of Portaledges. Which one is the easiest to put up in a tree? Where can you buy mosquito netting for Portaledges.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122986 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Portaledges. Who likes what brand and why?
Does the treeboat count as a porty? That could be a fave!

Porty's are quite spendy. I made one following directions from a rock climbing magazine. Go to KMart, buy a camping cot made of an aluminum frame. Get some 5mil cord, tie it to the corners, sides...and have them meet at the top where you tie in one huge knot. Viola!

It will take some modifications/additions to make it perfect. But super cheap!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122989 by knothead
Replied by knothead on topic Portaledges. Who likes what brand and why?
Just a note on the reason I use a stretcher for my platform:

Stretchers are made to be supported on four legs and therefore require only 4 points of support from the webbing. Most camp cots have either six legs or 3 wide supports, which would require 6 points of suspension from the webbing, complicating the rigging and somewhat interfering with easy access.

I like the full-length straight-line support of a stretcher, but it is a bit narrow (the better to squeeze more of them in a military ambulance, I suppose).

You can get them at your local military surplus store for 20-30 dollars. Add 10-15 dollars of webbing and a little creativity and you're sleeping like a baby.

regards,
-Peter "Knothead" Hedin

:)

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123022 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic The real deal?
I notice no one posted anything about "real" portaledges

ie- www.terragalleria.com/mountain/ mountain-image.bigw3425.html

Is it that tree climbers are too cheap to afford the real thing, or just too realistic to realize that they are unnecessary for our needs?

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123029 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic The real deal Portaledge
I use an A-5 single and a double Portaledge. They are indeed expensive. I use mine on redwood climbs or trees where single points of suspention are needed. I also prefer a stiff bottom to the more bowed Treeboat (of which I have around 8). Has anyone used a Black Diamond Portaledge? They are supposed to be easier to assemble aloft. My A-5 is not real easy to assemble aloft- but it can be done easily with practice they tell me.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123035 by blakeshitch
Replied by blakeshitch on topic Portaledges. Who likes what brand and why?
Fish Products has a new "Econoledge" for $199:

http://www.fishproducts.com/catalog/portaledges.html

I just received one and I'm anxious to try it out.

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123052 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic portaledge
Although I like the idea of a Tree Boat, I'm too tall (6'3") for the regular one. New Tribe tells me that they are going to have a Tall Boat for taller people, but then I still have a back problem that prevents me from finding comfort in a hammock-type structure. Supposedly, the assymetrical hammocks from Hennessey Hammock don't let you go into the curved position as much, but tying into it may be a problem. Treeman, do you have the mosquito netting for a Tree Boat? When I talked to them, New Tribe didn't think that it would seal enough to keep out those mosquitoes in Panama. Not having seen the net, I don't know. How do you tie in to a Tree Boat with the netting and still get a good netting seal?
If you are short(er), the Dryad (www.terrelogic.com) is very nice, and cheaper than an A5.

I'd love to hear a test report about the Econoledge!

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123055 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Portaledges. Who likes what brand and why?
Greetings Patrick,
I used a zippered mosquito net from New Tribe while in Panama last summer, it worked fine, I only had one time when a Black Bee got beyond the net and kindly bit and then stung me. I will be bringing it back next year, along with the featherboat. I did have one student who bought a Long Boat from New Tribe, he is over 6'4" and that style worked great for him. It was a bit harder to find the perfect location in the canopy to anchor the boat down. But all tree dwelling beings like a good challange, don't they?
See you in a couple of months.

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

More
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123202 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Portaledges. Who likes what brand and why?
My preferance is for a 'ledge. Having a flat surface to sleep on is much more comfy. Setting up a PL is quicker too. There are many more places to setup a PL since only one point of suspension is needed.

The down side is the expense, bulk and weight.

I sewed up a mosey net the goes over the whole PL. It has a bottom and zips up so the bugs are on the outside and I'm on the inside :)

If anyone is interested, I have a Pika double ledge with a cover for sale. It's only been used about five nights and is in perfect condition. I'll sell the whole thing for $475.

http://www.pikamtn.com/9bivouacgear.html

I have a link to instructions for making a PL. If I can find the link, I'll post it here.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123204 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic Speer hammock
Any problems with having your rope go under the mosquito netting? (For other readers, the mosquito netting attaches with Velcro to the body of the hammock.)
Did you make your Speer or buy it premade? Thanks, Patrick

More
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123215 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Homemade PL
Here's the article about the homemade PL. Be sure to look at the spreader bar that he put underneath. It's critical.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/articles/view.php?ID=124

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123216 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic Trease hanging tent
I just received a Floating Dome 1 from www.trease.biz . I'll be checking it out over the next few days and I'll post info about set up and comfort. I'm hoping to do a side by side (by side) comparison with a Dryad and a Crazy Creek LEX hammock.

• Tom Otto
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123217 by Tom Otto
Replied by Tom Otto on topic Portaledges. Who likes what brand and why?
Trease look very cool! maybe more comfy than the treeboat.

More
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123218 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Portaledges. Who likes what brand and why?
That trease looks too good to be true! They have them set up with, in some pictures, 30' of what looks like 1" tubular webbing. The tent has got to sag like crazy when you put weight in it.

So who here has used one. I'd like to know more.

love
nick

More
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123219 by knothead
Replied by knothead on topic Portaledges. Who likes what brand and why?
I believe they use some sort of tensioning device on the support lines.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds