Mobile-Grand Bay AL

• davidmbeasley
  • davidmbeasley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126106 by davidmbeasley
Mobile-Grand Bay AL was created by davidmbeasley
I live in Grand Bay, AL and just started getting into tree climbing, looking for someone with some experience to climb with and/or to teach me. Have some beautiful trees in area, a couple of good trees in a empty lot next to my land. Have climbing equipment for myself and my sons. One tree I have in yard is good live oak 4 tier climb about 60 feet high.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126107 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Welcome.
Tell us where Grand Bay is? Did Katrina affect you?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126108 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Mobile-Grand Bay AL
DMB,

Thanks for posting a “Bio” in your profile. It’s nice to know a little something about who’s here. I too am a recreational climber and have kids, at 9 and 13. I have been climbing about 3 years and posting here at TCI for about a year now.

There is a tremendous amount of skill here on the forum. I would have been lost with out the TCI forum gang.

Welcome, :)
Electrojake

• davidmbeasley
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126122 by davidmbeasley
Replied by davidmbeasley on topic Grand Bay
Grand Bay is in Alabama, yeah I got a nice 40 foot limb off a live oak through my oldest sons bedroom, went all way through to floor, luckily we left for the storm (usually anything over cat 2), got roof almost all the way done along with bedroom, and working and climbing in between...
Anyway Grand Bay is 5 miles from Mississippi/Alabama line and 10 miles north of Bayou La Batre, AL (western edge of Mobile Bay). :)

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126123 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Good to hear you have home intact!
I am glad you made it through. So many people are homeless. Do you climb the big live oaks?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• davidmbeasley
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126144 by davidmbeasley
Replied by davidmbeasley on topic Mobile-Grand Bay AL
Yes I agree, there are a lot of people who do not have anything left after the storm and are still living in shelters, I am very grateful to still have a home that is liveable.
I have been climbing in the live oaks around my house lately, I first started getting involved with this by needing something to get in the tree to cut some broken limbs down that were still hanging over the house (we are not safe down here until the end of hurricane season).
Of course being myself I like to do everything myself for experience and to save money, and realized just how much I liked to "hang around".
I started out military style with a rope made harness (good for repelling only, it hurts to put any weight for any real time on it), then started searching around and found a real good harness that I now have the Petzyl mini-boss, after the rope harness and then this was totally amazing, I can sit in this harness all day. While taken care of the broken limbs I noticed my sons full of excitement watching me so I ordered them a harness from NewTribe and they love it, I havn't let them set the lines yet, but at this point they just love to go up and down in the trees.
My wife and I have created a family album site at www.fotki.com/gigglesnmobile2 you can go there to see what my kids and I have done and some pictures of the damage we got.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds