Juglans Nigra - Black Walnut

• greenluck
  • greenluck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #134885 by greenluck
Juglans Nigra - Black Walnut was created by greenluck
The Eastern Black walnut is a species of flowering tree in the hickory family. It can reach heights of 98–130 ft. The wood is highly prized and used to make furniture, flooring, and rifle stocks.

The nuts drop around October in Ohio. Be careful of falling nuts when attempting climbs during that time. They can really hurt. I would recommend a helmet just to walk under the tree in the fall.

Not the best tree to have in your yard but great to have on the back 40. Not too bad for firewood and splits real nice.....Even better to have if you're getting bids to timber your land.

I had a chance to climb one so far.....
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by greenluck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #134888 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Juglans Nigra - Black Walnut
I have a beauty of a BW that I use for my climbing academy. True about the nuts. I was setting up for an open climb a few weeks ago and one of the nuts dropped 45' and hit me on the shoulder. I saw it coming and moved my face just in time.

In fact I just was up in it 20 minutes ago, hiking around. The squirrels are getting used to mme I think.

• greenluck
  • greenluck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #134891 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Juglans Nigra - Black Walnut
I forgot about the squirrels that usually go hand in hand with larger stands of Walnuts.

It's even worse when you get a cluster of nuts falling at once.

I have a family member that has a big Walnut near their house. In the fall the nuts fall on the roof and almost sound like gun shots. They love the tree too much to take it down. They had me remove a few branches that hung over the roof this year (nothing a large hand saw couldn't handle). This has been the one and only Walnut I've climbed so far. I think they'll be happy and the tree lives to see another day!
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by greenluck.

More
13 years 6 months ago #134892 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Juglans Nigra - Black Walnut
I know what you mean about the gunshots. We were up at Keuka Lake this past weekend. The cabin has some big chestnut oaks and a big red oak right next to it. The acorns were falling and it sounded like we landed in a war zone. Banging on the roof, the deck, the picknick tables...so much for a peaceful weekend getaway.
Still beats the usual noise that comes with living in town though.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds