• Woodduck
  • Woodduck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 4 months ago #138232 by Woodduck
Flat Prussik cord problem was created by Woodduck
Hey Folks,
Had an ‘interesting’ problem with a Prussik cord jamming this morning. Got a Haas ascender yesterday and went up a double line(Slooowwwly) and had to deal with rope twist, but after 3 restarts I got up and retrieved the stranded friction saver. (That’s another long story).
Wanted to try single line today, so switched to a 25” Iron City cord for the Hitchclimber I’m using. Big Mistake! It worked fine when I tested everything on the ground, but jammed on the line at the tie-in. I was probably up there about 2 or 3 hours when my wife came out looking for me. (Big Pecan tree in the yard) . She and my sister were able to pull down on the line through an Ma pulley system I rigged, slacked my main line enough to grab the knot and let myself down. (The girls were NOT impressed !!!) I am at about 200 pounds fully rigged, but didn’t think the cord would do that. (See picture) The cord has flattened and curled badly. I would like to blame the cord, but I’m sure I did something (or a few things)wrong.
Any advice would be helpful. Yes, my backside is scuffed, chafed and chewed on. I’ll feel this one tomorrow, but I ain’t quitting !!! I understand my Dad now. He used to say “There’s no fool like an old fool.” Glad I’ve lived long enough to make him proud.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #138233 by Tuebor
Replied by Tuebor on topic Flat Prussik cord problem
What SRT device were you using with the prusik? You weren't trying to descend on a single line with just a prusik, were you?

• Woodduck
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 4 months ago #138234 by Woodduck
Replied by Woodduck on topic Flat Prussik cord problem
I had a hitch climber under the prussik, but no other device.
I have since learned that I needed something like the rope wrench to relieve some of the weight stress . No wonder it deformed.
Thanks for your reply.

More
5 years 4 months ago #138235 by Tuebor
Replied by Tuebor on topic Flat Prussik cord problem
Yep, need added friction to share the load so it's not all on the prusik when you want to defend. But climbing doubled rope on just a prusik and hitch climber pulley is a wonderfully light and simple method.

• Woodduck
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 4 months ago #138236 by Woodduck
Replied by Woodduck on topic Flat Prussik cord problem
Yes-I had only been up once on the double ,and that was without the knee ascender. It was a real thrill and made me wish Id gotten into this when I lived in the big timber country in Oregon. Its been raining here in Tallahassee so I'm temporarily grounded.
I have ordered the rope wrench and will use it later for SRT.
I left my new uSaver up on the limb when I rigged the pulley MA, so now I have a reason to climb back up. Friction saver rescue is not a valid reason with my wife. Don't know why???
Thanks for your response, Tuebor and Happy Climbing !!

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds