Old Jackson

• Treezybreez
  • Treezybreez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #135359 by Treezybreez
Old Jackson was created by Treezybreez
Just thought I would post some pictures from a very old remnant white oak tree that I climbed on Saturday. The oak had some dead branches to clean up one of which was the size of a tree itself.

The branch had ripped off and was leaning against the trunk. I was worried that if I left it, decay might spread into the trunk wood. I read in one of Dr. Alex Shigo's books that removing dead wood takes food away from the pathogens that could spread into the trunk wood. Also it allows the tree to compartmentalize quicker which allows the tree to focus it's energy elsewhere.

I used a couple of double sheave pulleys and some 5/8" double braid to lift the branch off the trunk and prevent the branch from damaging the root crown.

I named the tree Jackson because This area is where President Andrew Jackson was born. In fact both North and South Carolina claim the birth place.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110788003155069646893/Apr42011?authkey=Gv1sRgCI-Ll8Wm95e5lQE&feat=directlink
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Treezybreez.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #135378 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re: Old Jackson
Good Photos, thanks for sharing.

• Treezybreez
  • Treezybreez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
12 years 11 months ago #135380 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re: Old Jackson
Thanks Oldtimer,

I had a good time marveling at how big the branches are and limb walking.

The tree is located near the ruins of an old cabin. There used to be cotton fields all around so most of the trees are medium sized however where the creeks and flood plains are there are some good sized trees.

I hiked for quite a ways in order to get to the tree. Also I carried about 90lbs of rigging and climbing gear out there. Next time I will just bring my climbing gear.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds