Winter sunset hike and climb

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #134436 by moss
Winter sunset hike and climb was created by moss
I've pretty much abandoned my "don't start a climb when the sun is hovering above the horizon late in the day" rule. Reality is days are so short (but getting longer) that I'm often in the woods after dark in the winter. If there is enough light to properly assess the tree and place a rope then I'm good to go. Head lamp is on my helmet before I start climbing.

Here's video of the hike to a tree and the climb just before sunset:

-moss
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by moss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #134437 by GaDawg
Replied by GaDawg on topic Re:Winter sunset hike and climb
Another great video Moss. It looked and sounded cold especially with a lit up ski resort in the distance! How did the new harness work out?

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 1 month ago #134438 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Winter sunset hike and climb
GaDawg wrote:

Another great video Moss. It looked and sounded cold especially with a lit up ski resort in the distance! How did the new harness work out?

It looked colder than it was, low 30's f. when I started and into the 20's when I was hiking out.

I like the Petzl Sequoia SRT harness. It's way less comfortable (leg straps) than a New Tribe harness for long hang times with feet off the tree. It's very comfortable while I'm ascending. I'm working on improving the comfort of the leg straps. It compresses down smaller than an NT work harness (Tengu etc.) for stowing in a backpack. It will not replace my NT Tengu, I didn't expect it to.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds