• Johnny O
  • Johnny O's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 1 month ago #133301 by Johnny O
My first climb today! was created by Johnny O
Howdy Everyone,
After getting my gear and watching Peter Jenkins dvd on tree climbing basics. Thanks Peter great Dvd. and spending many hours tying knots. I climbed my oak tree today. Six times with throw line got it set. I ran two ring strap false crotch set up. I got it set set with little problem. I tied a double figure eight to clip into single figure eight to Blakes hitch. Also triple crown for my feet. Thanks tim it works great. I climbed up with little problems starting very slow and getting used to new stuff. Small baby steps. went to top then desended down. Then removed two ring strap with no problem. Thanks to all the info in all of the forums. I how I am hooked on this great sport. Looking forward to meeting alot of you In the Future at training classes and events which I will be attending soon.
Thanks,
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #133302 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:My first climb today!
Wow, pretty technical for a first climb. Strap type friction savers an be complicated at first, especially if you've never SEEN it done before trying it on your own. (THAT'S not in peter's video ;)) Great Job!

What kinda gear are you using? \"Inquiring minds want to know!\"
(You have to be over 40 to remember that ad)
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by Baker.

• Johnny O
  • Johnny O's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 1 month ago #133303 by Johnny O
Replied by Johnny O on topic Re:My first climb today!
Baker,
I have a Weaver Four D Wide back saddle with butt strap. XTC 1/2 inch rope. Bought from Sherril tree. I got there basic climbing kit with saddle upgrade. It came with split tail system. Upgraded to a Buckstrap 3strand lanyard. Which I really do not like. I made a double daisey and also tried that yesterday. Seems do work very well. As for my saddle and gear all works great but saddle is very stiff. But may soften up in future. New ropes are waxey at first. As for the ad I dont Know I think it was insurance company? Yes I am over fourty.
John

More
15 years 1 month ago #133304 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:My first climb today!
Hello JohnnyO
Any pictures of the gear so that we have somethig to critique? :blush: and raise cane about specially on a young man like you!

Have fun and enjoy your new toys. errr :angry:

Correction: Toys are not Tax deductible....but Gear is! :)

More
15 years 1 month ago #133306 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:My first climb today!
Johnny O wrote:

...Six times with throw line got it set.

Nice going John, the first time I tried throwing into a tree I hung all my throw gear for 6 days before I finally got into the tree and got it out (with a potato and a clothesline throw kit).

Keep us posted on your progress...
-moss

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds