• groupb
  • groupb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
16 years 5 months ago #130773 by groupb
intro was created by groupb
Hello,

I'm looking for researchers/climbers in the N CA area to gain more experience in big trees. I'm a safe old climber, new to trees, have recently climbed with OSU's Forsman & Swingle & also the 2007 world treehouse conference gurus.

I'm currently visiting in the Humboldt area and will eventually climb my way back up to my home area, W of Portland.

I'd be happy to pack rope & just observe, too.

Love to hear from anyone in this area,

Bill
cell available

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago - 16 years 5 months ago #130775 by Foxglove
Replied by Foxglove on topic Re:intro
groupb,

Assuming you are in the Arcata/Eureka area, I would suggest a trip up to Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park (45 minutes north just past the town of Orick), or Humboldt Redwoods State Park (45 minutes south). Looking for trees that are big, tall, complex? Well, these two areas have it all in abundance!! Several researchers are currently out doing remeasures, sample removals, isotope analysis, water stress measurements, etc., but a legal climbing adventure with them is not an option due to permitting issues. Its actually nearly impossible to legally climb in these forests unless you're a researcher, and even then it can be difficult to get the permits. Its just the rules that we have to follow.....if we get caught doing something outside of what our permits allow then we run risk of being excluded from our research areas.

foxglove
Last edit: 16 years 5 months ago by Foxglove.

• groupb
  • groupb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
16 years 5 months ago #130776 by groupb
Replied by groupb on topic Re:intro
Thanks, Jim,

I'll head for the grove shortly. Also, I see you do cliff work; I do peregrine work and have one pair that loses their babes each year to gho - so have been trying to come up with a ledge enhancement that might protect the young.

Would love to chat - will try your company phone.

Thanks for the grove tip,

Bill

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds