• Tom Dunlap's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133537 by Tom Dunlap
Come to the SRT Picnic in Austin, TX May 9 was created by Tom Dunlap
On May 9 there is going to be a get together in Austin, TX at Eastwood Park:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/parks/parkmaps/images/eastwoods.jpg

Anyone who would like to come and try out SRT systems and show what they use is welcome.

The plan is to be there from around 9-3. Get there early, the local arbos tell me that parking can be a challenge. You may have to scout for us since we can't really stake out a tree the night before. We shouldn't be hard to find.

Any climbers are invited. This isn't intended to be an intro to climbing day though. It's more of an intro to SRT day. I should have 2-3 Unicenders and my buckets of other SRT tools so that we can try lots of different systems.

Tom
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133540 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Come to the SRT Picnic in Austin, TX May 9
I am planning to be there bright and early. I invited some climbers from San Antonio and College Station but i 'm not sure if they will show up. May 9, close to UT Austin Campus! :laugh:

More
14 years 11 months ago #133541 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Picnic in Austin, TX May 9
Tom, As ususal I am tied up in Kansas City where everything here is up to date; pretty little women and Here I come!

I really would like to know the procedure you undertook to get this set up in a city park. We all just love red tape and remember well what happens without the correct permits/paperwork/red tape etc.

How is the event insured? Any city folks give you static?

Enquiring minds want to know!

See you at the top,
Dan

• Tom Dunlap
  • Tom Dunlap's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133543 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Re:Come to the SRT Picnic in Austin, TX May 9
Desi,

I hope that the folks can come...If they need Teflon clothing so the rival cooties don't git 'em, let me know. I'll work on getting them into the duds. :silly:

Dan,

No issues...my arbo buddies from Austin have all assured me that since this is just a fun climb not instructional or commercial that we're in the clear. I sure hope so...once in a lifetime is too many!

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!

More
14 years 10 months ago #133644 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Come to the SRT Picnic in Austin, TX May 9
We had a great time playing with new SRT Advanced techniques. A couple of photos of the gear used.

The Unicender

Unicender Close up

:laugh: :laugh:

More
14 years 10 months ago #133647 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:the SRT Picnic in Austin, TX May 9
A couple of more photos from the SRT student climbers.

Show and tell was the theme of the day.

Fast Action Up a large beautiful Oak tree.

:laugh: :laugh:
Overall we had a great picnic day sharing among climber friends. Lots of expertise shared around the whole day.

More
14 years 4 months ago #134172 by smedlap26
Replied by smedlap26 on topic Re:Come to the SRT Picnic in Austin, TX May 9
Hello,

I am Joshua Schlesner a local tree trimmer and would like to join you in any of your events. I need to perfect my climbing technique. You can email me @ This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thankyou

More
14 years 4 months ago #134174 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Come to the SRT Demos in Austin
Josh, I will pass your info to Tom Dunlap who now works here in Austin to keep you on the loop of any Arborist Sponsored Climbing events coming Up.

Where do you work and what type of experience and gear do you have? I am always looking for friends to go to new places REC climbing. I mostly climb near my house in North Austin, so new places and trees are always welcomed. :laugh:

Welcome aboard TCI Josh.

More
14 years 4 days ago #134500 by smedlap26
Replied by smedlap26 on topic Re:Come to the SRT Demos in Austin
I work for myself. I am a medically retired army Sgt. I am doing some tree trimming. I have a metilous Seat w croll chest and croll ascender. I have a petzel ascenders too and a petzel decender.

More
14 years 2 days ago #134501 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Come to the SRT Demos in Austin
I heard from Tom D. that he is looking into putting another get together soon. As soon as details are made available We post them here and at the Treebuzz.com web site so the other local climbers be aware. The last time we got together we had a great time and Tom demonstrated several new SRT Techniques including using the Unicender.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds