June 12 "Second Saturday" wilderness climb

• wildbill
  • wildbill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 9 months ago - 19 years 9 months ago #123817 by wildbill
The next "Second Saturday" wilderness climb will be held June 12 in the foothills of the north Georgia mountains and is open to all experienced climbers who will be in the Atlanta/north Georgia areas that day. There is no charge for this event, but it is a climb-at-your-own-risk outing.
The meeting place will change for the June climb. We will meet at 9 a.m. that morning at the McDonald's restaurant at the intersection of Georgia 400 and Georgia 53, one block north of the huge outlet mall near Dawsonville. The restaurant is about 45-50 minutes north of I-285 and is located on the southwest corner of the intersection. The climbing site is about 10 minutes from the restaurant and will feature two giant white oaks, one of which has never before been climbed. We will be leaving the restaurant almost immediately after 9 a.m. so do not be late; we can't wait for tardy climbers.
And, mark July 20-24 on your calendars for the annual campout and wilderness climb at Cornbread Creek in a rugged wilderness area of the north Georgia mountains. This campout will take the place of the July "Second Saturday" climb. The Cornbread Creek climbing area, for those who've never been there, features massive tulip poplars up to 125 feet tall, white oaks up to 110 feet tall, and dozens of white pines (including Big Mama Pine, which was recently measured to a climbable height of 158 feet). This event will be a primative campout (there are no bathrooms other than what Mother Nature and your shovel provide, and the bathing area is an ice-cold mountain stream), so bring your camping and climbing gear, along with food and favorite beverages, and join us for the whole campout or just an afternoon in the wilderness. Contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for specific directions to the campground.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 9 months ago - 19 years 9 months ago #123818 by jimk123
Wild Bill,

No Waffle House? This must be a remote area!

What makes for the better food to climb on? McDonalds or Waffle House?

Regards,
Jim

More
19 years 9 months ago - 19 years 9 months ago #123823 by knothead
Replied by knothead on topic Cornbread Creek
Bill,

When I went to mark July 20-24 on my calendar, I noticed that it is Tuesday through Saturday. Is that right? Do we have to be cleared out before Sunday? Or are you just counting on total exhaustion setting in by then?

Regardless, I'm hoping I can commute from Virginia for at least the weekend part of it. Don't know if it'll work yet, but I hope I can see y'all there.

-Knothead

• wildbill
  • wildbill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 9 months ago - 19 years 9 months ago #123826 by wildbill
Peter and others,
Oops! I goofed. The campout does go though mid-day on Sunday, July 25.
Peter, I hope you're going to cook up another batch of those great salmon croquettes.
I'm bringing my "Sun Shower" thingamabob, which supposedly lets you take a hot shower out there in the woods. I hope it'll work, cause that creek is dog-gone cold.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds