2005 Rainforest Climbing Expedition

• jmaher
  • jmaher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123705 by jmaher
2005 Rainforest Climbing Expedition was created by jmaher
Have you ever wanted to go climbing in a tropical rainforest? If so, this announcement is for you. The Tree Climber's Coalition is happy to announce the Second Annual Panama Rainforest Climbing Expedition. The First Annual Panama Rainforest Climbing Expedition was an unqualified success. That we are now announcing the Second Annual Panama Rainforest Climbing Expedition should be no surprise to those of you who participated in the inaugural event.

Those of you who like the idea of climbing in the rainforest should seriously consider this opportunity. The Tree Climber's Coalition, working closely with the Institute for Tropical Ecology and Conservation, has created an adventure that will allow climbers not only the opportunity to climb in the tropical rainforest, but to learn about the ecology of the canopy in which they are exploring.

So what is this adventure all about? Mostly it will be a fun trip with a bunch of fellow tree climbers whose interests have gone beyond the idea of climbing the old oak tree in the backyard and who are looking for something a bit more exciting with a little adventure and travel thrown in for the heck of it. While we are sure that visions of Tarzan, or maybe George of the Jungle, are flashing across your mind, let us assure you that things are not nearly as dangerous or adrenalin-charged as you may think. The rainforest is really nothing more than a big set of woods writ large, with things running around in it with which you are unfamiliar. The perceived danger lies in your unfamiliarity with the place and is more perceptual than real. Do not show this to anyone else, however, or the war stories that you tell when you get home won't get you the attention and respect that you will feel is justly yours. Remember, as Twain said, "It is the prerogative of the adventurer to embellish his stories however he may see fit!" So if everyone else wants to believe that the Panamanian rainforest is fraught with all manner of dangerous and unforgiving encounters, and that you withstood them all, then let them do so. You who are going, however, will find that it is more fun than dangerous.

So what is climbing in the rainforest all about? Climbing in the tropical rainforest is very different from climbing in the temperate regions. For one thing, almost all of the trees are bigger; they are all "wild"; they have been undeveloped for climbing. Most of them are covered in vines and epiphytic growth and simply getting a line into such a tree can become an extreme challenge. Every single tree, on every single climb, will present problems and challenges no matter how many previous climbs you may have made in the tree.

The real secret of having a safe and enjoyable visit to the rainforest will lie in your ability to accept the place "as is". You must be willing to surrender to the idea that this is a rainforest and that you will, therefore, spend a lot of your time in the rain. Because it rains a lot, there will also be a lot of walking in mud, mush, and muck. Because you are walking in mud, mush, and muck you will spend a lot of time with wet feet. You will also get a lot of mud, muck, and mush on your clothes, on your face, and in your hair. Because it is a tropical rainforest, the temperature will be a bit on the warm side. In other words, not only will you get dirty, you will, heaven forbid, SWEAT! And then there are the bugs, all of which will look upon you as nothing more than a new item on the food chain. The secret to successfully enjoying yourself on an adventure of this sort is to realize, up front, that this is the way it is. The uncomfortable people are the ones who refuse to surrender to the circumstances and who try to stay neat, clean, dry, and smelling good in spite of it all. The important thing to remember is that there is an end to every day, clean clothes and a shower are waiting for you, and then you can prop up your feet and embellish the adventures of the day with a libation of your choice in hand. Believe us when we say that it is rather a splendid way to end a day, with your feet propped up, the Caribbean spread out before you, a gentle breeze on your face, and war stories from the day that will stay with you forever.

The adventure will begin with a flight to Panama City, Republic of Panama, on January 10th, 2005. You will arrive at Tocumen International Airport. Once there, you will most likely spend a night at a hotel. You will continue your journey to Bocas del Toro on the 11th. At Bocas del Toro, on Isla Colon, you will continue on to the Institute for Tropical Ecology and Conservation, which lies at the opposite end of the island from the town. The institute is a biological field station at which students from colleges and universities come to take courses relating to rainforest science. There are also a number of individual researchers who come here to work on projects of one sort or another. The northwest end of the island where ITEC exists consists of a small beachfront community named Boca del Drago. ITEC itself consists of a lab/classroom building and several beach type bungalows. Meals are served at the Restaurante Yarisnori, with which ITEC has a standing relationship. The meals are basic but good. The restaurant also has soft drinks, beer, and snacks. Fifty yards in front of ITEC is a Caribbean coral reef, fifty yards behind ITEC is an agricultural pasture and fifty yards beyond that is the swamp forest. There are several large areas of primary rainforest within a short walking distance.

From January 11th till the morning of January 19th, the rainforest and its surroundings will be yours to enjoy and explore. We would like to emphasize that your time at Boca del Drago is your time and that you are under no obligation to do anything at all! The trees are there and we are there to help you find and climb those trees, but unlike many such tours, there is no concrete itinerary. Certain adventures will be offered on certain days but it is entirely your choice as to whether you participate. In other words, life around Drago is very laid back!

On January 19th you will fly back to Panama City, and on the 20th you will be returning to the United States or your point of origin, wherever it may be.

This opportunity is for Tree Climbers who have taken a Basic or Intensive Basic tree climbing course, or those who are experienced tree climbers. SRT experience would be helpful but is not a requirement. Limited SRT training will be available on-site, for a fee. Graduates of Tree Climbing USA's "Beyond The Basics Course" are more than qualified for this adventure. ITEC would like to discourage the participation of those under sixteen years of age.

For more information about this adventure, please contact Joe Maher at jmaher@treeclimbercoalition.org.,Tim Kovar at Tree Climbing Atlanta, or Abe Winters at Tree Climbing USA.

For information about the Institute for Tropical Ecology and Conservation go to
www.itec-edu.org

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123723 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Photos from the 2004 expedition in Panama
Hope you enjoy these photos, a great time was had by all. And the friendship was as high as the trees are tall.
Besure to reserve your space for the 2005 Panama Expedition. The limitied spaces are filling up fast.
HOPE TO SEE YOU DOWN ON THE ISLAND!!
http://homepage.mac.com/treekster/panama2004/PhotoAlbum3.html

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

More
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123756 by elliotsu
Replied by elliotsu on topic great experience in the Bocas rainforest
Yes,it was a great experience in the Bocas rainforest climbing.I join 2004 rainforest climb.we climb Symphonia tree,giant ficus,giant ceiba,and up to 190feet high canopy.you will get in a heavy shower aloft and get down with sunshine.the rainforest climbing is just great,I fly 8000 miles from Taiwan to Bocas to enjoy this. hope see you guys on 2005 rainforest climbing.

Elliot

More
19 years 5 months ago - 19 years 5 months ago #124083 by abram
Replied by abram on topic 2005 Rainforest Climb
It hardly seems possible that we are but 11 weeks away from our second expedition to ITEC on the Isle of Colon and our brief but rewarding adventures into the canopies of the the forest so close to the ocean. Our first trip there with others was a great success. For myself I can say that for all the years of climbing in the temperate forests of North America I was totally taken by the beauty and the challenge of the rainforest. My experiences there redefined tree climbing for me and I look forward to returning in January. If you have a sense of adventure and love to climb trees you owe yourself this grand experience. Safety in and for the trees worldwide! Abe

• rtrem12
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124119 by rtrem12
Replied by rtrem12 on topic YOU SHOULD GO!!!
I was fortunate enough to go last year. Unfortunately, I can't get away to go this year, but I will tell you that this is an unbelievable adventure.

Culturally, we were immersed, not just a tourist. The island is quite unspoiled, so if you are used to Club Med, you will be disappointed. Wait, last time I checked, Club Med didn't offer tree climbing.

Speaking of tree climbing, it is an amazing place. Coming from Michigan where there is no old growth, few trees are more than 90 or so feet tall. Many of the trees on Isla Colon first branches were this high. My climbing skill doubled as did my comfort level. We hike through swamps to hike, swam in the balmy Caribbean, snorkled in untouched coral reefs.

All together including airfare, lodging and transportation in Panama City, I spent less than $1700 for a 10 day trip with 8 days of amazing climbing.

Robbity Bob

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds