Types of friction savers?

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 7 months ago #132024 by Davej
Types of friction savers? was created by Davej
I guess this topic is in the book or DVD that I'll get in the mail eventually but I'm curious which \"friction saver\" is most commonly used by newbies. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #132025 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Types of friction savers?
I began with, and still use, a leather cambium saver for most of my climbing. After I became more confident with my skills and learned what I didn't know (by reading post here) I tried a ring and strap type friction saver. I can now use either with relative ease.

I like the leather sleeve for it's ease of installation and removal, but it's a bit bulky and can bind in tight crotches or on narrower branches.

The strap and ring-type friction saver is nice for it's versatility. Although more complicated to set up and remove, it can be used in a crotch, over a horizantal branch, or as a false crotch.

I have not purchased a conduit sleeve yet, but I will be soon. They are as easy to install as a leather sleeve, but are more compact and easier to pack.

Whatever you use, practice and think ahead. I've had to leave my cambium protector in a tree overnight because I was too dumb to remember to tie a slip knot in the end of my climbing line!

As you said, this topic HAS been covered in books and videos. Thats how I learned.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #132026 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Types of friction savers?
Thanks for the quick response. I had seen some of the discussion here about the flexible conduit, but when I noticed it had a metal interior I decided it would worry me, especially with the endcap confusion. Is heat/wear/kinking such a problem that simple plastic tubing/hose can't be used?

Thanks,

Dave

(strange -- is the board seeming to grab the word m-e-t-a out of the word m-e-t-a-l ?)
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by Davej.

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #132027 by Baker
Davej wrote:

Is heat/wear/kinking such a problem that simple plastic tubing/hose can't be used?

In a word, yes.

Check out some of the reviews here:
http://www.treeclimbing.com/content/blogcategory/37/112/
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by Baker.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 7 months ago #132028 by Davej
I see the standard leather one at http://www.wtsherrill.com as item# 30535 for $20. There is also a strange plastic one here; http://www.rei.com/product/719270

Thanks,

Dave

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #132032 by Baker
I got my leather sleeves from Sherrill. Nice folks.

The \"Spiral\" product from REI is not meant to have the rope run through it. It is a grippy silicone rubber-like material. I've used it in rock climbing and rescue rappel operations when static, top rope lines ran over sharp edges. It's not very sturdy either. After only a few uses, it needs to be replaced. It does serve it's purpose though, by protecting the rope kern and keeping the rope from moving on the edge.

This material is NOT what you want for tree climbing.
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by Baker.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 7 months ago #132035 by Davej
Ok thanks, I'll have to wait a bit and see if there is anything else I need to order from Sherrill.

More
15 years 7 months ago #132036 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Types of friction savers?
Davej, I agree w/ Baker on the REI \"rope saver\" they will not work for tree climbing due to the high friction generated by the rope moving inside the saver. In the rock climbing case the rope stays in one place (over a rock edge most likely).

The older model Friction savers ( gray color ones) made by Dan House are very durable and they last a long time if handled with care while lowering them from the trees. Even the new black ones last long if handle properly under normal conditions. I have only worn out one in over two years. That is not bad for the cost. The \"metal\" spiral inside the saver is what reduces the friction on the rope. If you use a regular garden hose it melts inside and the plastic gets all over your climbing rope. (been there, done that!)

More
15 years 6 months ago #132072 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Types of friction savers?
I made up my own black metal conduit friction savers with plastic coated conduit (about 3/4 inch diameter) bought from an electrical supplies company after reading another post here. It has relatively low friction - probably less than the leather one but I've never used one.

One bit of advice - when retrieving it after use, attach your throwline to the end of the climbing rope so you can guide it down slowly. (A metal conduit with metal end caps heading south from 70ft can make a serious impression!!! ) :blink:

Michael

More
15 years 6 months ago #132125 by HammockHead
Replied by HammockHead on topic Re:Types of friction savers?
Nick Araya showed us a variant of the strap-and-ring using an eye-to-eye spliced rope, carabiners, and a pulley during his splicing class at the Rendezvous last weekend. We were there to learn how to make the spliced length of rope, so we didn't discuss how to place it in the tree, and unfortunately I didn't get a picture (mental or digital)of it. Can anyone supply details, pictures, instructions on its use?

It's better up there!

More
15 years 6 months ago #132126 by HammockHead
Replied by HammockHead on topic Re:Types of friction savers?
Nick Araya showed us a variant of the strap-and-ring using an eye-to-eye spliced rope, carabiners, and a pulley during his splicing class at the Rendezvous last weekend. We were there to learn how to make the spliced length of rope, so we didn't discuss how to place it in the tree, and unfortunately I didn't get a picture (mental or digital)of it. Can anyone supply details, pictures, instructions on its use?

It's better up there!

More
15 years 6 months ago #132132 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Friction savers installation
Read the instructions on how to install a Friction Saver (False Crotch) in the Tree Climbers Companion book. It is not that difficult and it would make your climbing easier if you like to go into the effort to use one.

I do not use them that much because I do not like the tie radius that the rope makes while entering and exiting the rings in the saver. Also i notice that sometimes the pulley jams into the ring at one weir angle that creates more friction than I like to deal with. Arborists use something similar a (Rope Guide) that appears to do a better job. :angry:

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132136 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Friction savers installation
oldtimer wrote:

I do not use them that much because I do not like the tie radius that the rope makes while entering and exiting the rings in the saver. Also i notice that sometimes the pulley jams into the ring at one weir angle that creates more friction than I like to deal with. Arborists use something similar a (Rope Guide) that appears to do a better job. :angry:

I ended up buying the 3/4\" Dan House sleeve and now want to buy either a leather sleeve or a false crotch. I am unaware or anything else. What is a \"Rope guide?\"

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #132147 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Friction savers installation
Davej wrote:

I ended up buying the 3/4\" Dan House sleeve and now want to buy either a leather sleeve or a false crotch. I am unaware or anything else. What is a \"Rope guide?\"

Good choice, the sleeves (either leather or conduit) are the easiest to install and take out and are the most versatile for a variety of climbing conditions.

The ART Rope Guide (you can find it in the Sherrill online catalog) is a very high end (expensive) way to create an adjustable false crotch, you don't need to put it in a crotch to hang your rope, it can be cinched around a vertical spar with no side branches. Some climbers make their own simple rope guide-like devices. It's more of an arborist tool than a rec climbers tool. Not so simple to install or take out from the ground, there are pitfalls. Like any gear, you need a reason to use it.
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by moss.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #132148 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Rope Guide photo

What is a \"Rope guide?\" By DaveJ

You can see a picture here.
http://gear.sherrilltree.com/iwwidb.pvx?;multi_item_submit

Yes, It looks complicated to use and install that is why most Rec Climbers do not use one. Not to mention the fact that it costs: a Bundle! :dry:

Even better look in this board \"Gear Reviews Area\" and there is a review by Master Nick as well as other reviews of other \"Friction Saver Gear\" from several regular contributors. That is a great place to see what other users think about a particular gear piece before you buy it! Free Advice: Priceless! for everything else there is Master Card for sure. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by oldtimer. Reason: Added Cmts

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds