Climbing to fell a few trees

• peteinatlanta
  • peteinatlanta's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 2 weeks ago - 20 years 2 weeks ago #123417 by peteinatlanta
Climbing to fell a few trees was created by peteinatlanta
Greetings all:
I have 3 or 4 large pines and maples in my back yard that need to come out. I’m going to have to climb all of them and top the trees as they are close to my fence. While I’ve cut down hundreds of trees in the past, I’ve never climbed up more than 20 feet or so. I just climbed those trees without any real equipment. I do not currently own any sort of tree climbing equipment. These trees are about 50 feet tall.
What equipment do I need to do this (safely)?
Thanks and have a great Friday,
Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peteinatlanta
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 2 weeks ago - 20 years 2 weeks ago #123418 by peteinatlanta
Replied by peteinatlanta on topic Climbing to fell a few trees
Thanks for the response:
Actually I did have some folks come out and give me an estimate and to say the least- they were pretty high. I wanted to get some ideas as to what I would need to try this task myself.
Also- I don’t want y’all thinking I hate trees- I love trees! Just not the trees I have right now… 2 are dead and 2 are just too darn big for the landscape. I plan on planting some nice ornamentals when I’m (or someone else) is done with the work.

More
20 years 2 weeks ago - 20 years 2 weeks ago #123424 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Climbing to fell a few trees
Would you hire me to do your job? Would you hire someone who is walking down the street to do your dental work?

Before you decide to go up and cut the tops out of the trees, print all of the replies to your question and have the most important person in your life read them. Then, ask that person if you have permission to do the work. If they say NO, hire a pro. Let them be the veto since no pro arbo will support your decision.

If you want to save money, have the company bid on a "Cut and Run". You do the cleanup but stay on the ground.

If you're in Atlanta, why not get hold of Peter Jenkins? That seems like a natural.

By the way, it costs over $600 to get an ambulance ride to the hospital, more if they turn on the siren. DAMHIKT :) For that kind of money you could pay my plane ticket from Minneapolis and still have some spending money.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123551 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic You can be lucky or unlucky.
If you are lucky, you can get the trees on the ground or get killed. If you are unlucky you can get hurt real bad and be a burdon for all of those who care for you. Sort of like renting a semi-tracktor trailer rig for a day with no experience to save moving expenses.

But then again I started tree work with no experience too. It was a major ice storm and I was in the right place to be gaifully employed. The only difference between you and my situation 26 years ago is that I knew I would be changing careers from the boring work (for me) as a contract carpenter for a life of climbing, being a rock climber at that time.

So who am I to judge? I nearly lost my life several times from inexperience- having never even seen tree work done before I entered the trade. Trail and error has an expensive cost in the game of cutting high in a tree. I count myself as lucky indeed to be alive before I hired me a real tree climber to show me what to do safely.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123558 by Tom Dunlap
Robert,

I don't have any turf to protect, I killed it with Roundup :)

Your ideas are sincere and fresh. The catch, is that the person posted here wanting to know what to do. Learning how to remove trees on a discussion forum is a sure way to get hurt or killed. With no climbing or rigging experience, the fellow is exposing himself to a high risk. I feel that it is irresponsible to try to teach all that is needed in this medium.

Besides, by the time he were to buy rope and saddle and some gear, it would probably be cheaper to have someone do a "cut and run" Heck, since he's in Hot-lanta, I would bet that he could connect with any number of the denizens on this forum who are pro/rec climbers :)

Learning "low and slow" would mean to take his knowledge of tree felling to the next step which would be to just plain climb trees with rope and saddle. Then, the next step would be to do some pruning with a handsaw which would lead to using a chainsaw. Then, learn rigging using a handsaw for cutting. Then rigging using a chainsaw. Then removals. Step by step, low and slow.

Tom

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• peteinatlanta
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123561 by peteinatlanta
Replied by peteinatlanta on topic Thanks for all the er... help...
Thanks for all the feedback fellas- I understand where y'all are comn from.
The project is now on hold as we might be moving secondary to a job transfer.
If we don't move, I really like the "Cut and run" idea. How much money does this save over a complete cut and clean job?
I can rent a pretty big chipper for around $70 a day.

More
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123563 by Tom Dunlap
Get bids both ways. On different jobs, the cleanup can be 20-80% of the cost.

Stay on the ground, an ambulance costs over $600...more if they use the siren :)

Tom

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds