What if I can't find 'arborist rope'?

• mikamf
  • mikamf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 3 months ago #137741 by mikamf
Hello!

I have started the TCI "At Home" Basic Tree Climbing Course, and I am putting together my starter kit. It seems like I can find everything I need around where I live (Serbia), except perhaps for the infamous arborist rope :P

From the course, these are the three properties that distinguish arborist ropes from other kinds of ropes: resistance to abrasion, flexibility, and low stretch.

Flexibility. In the course, they say arborist ropes are easier to work with in the context of tree-climbing. But I get the sense that it would still be possible to tie the same knots in a less flexible rope. No?

Low stretch. Isn't this the defining property of a static rope? Is there something different about arborist ropes rather than the fact that they're static rather than dynamic ropes?

Resistance to abrasion. This is where it seems to get really tricky. They say that ropes that are easily damaged, such as ropes for rock climbing, are unsafe for tree climbing. Does this mean I should not use them at all, or would careful and regular inspection mitigate that problem?

Thanks in advance for the help! Please let me know if there's anything i could further clarify in my question.

Cheers,
Mika

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #137770 by Greenluck
Replied by Greenluck on topic What if I can't find 'arborist rope'?
Consider some caving rope such as PMI EZbend in 10,11, 12 or 13mm. It works for both SRT and DDRT. Not sure about availability in Serbia but you might find another brand that also works.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds