Bicycle trailer for carrying climbing gear

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126327 by moss
I finally got a chance to test out my new BOB Yak trailer for carrying gear to a tree climbing site. I posted photos here:
Bike trailer

I'm very happy with it, handled the load perfectly and it allowed me to explore more easily and enjoyably than in a car. And not to mention one less car on the road.
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126330 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Bob Yak Trailer report
Moss cool pictures. You definitely carry ALL your stuff there in that carrier. That is more than I carry on my backpack on a week's long hiking trail. Thanks for the pictures.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126333 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic Bike Trailer
Moss,

Great idea. Much easier than throwing it all in the car and driving. I know you had that handcart you used in the woods. Does the Yak replace that? Does it bushwhack better than the previous model?

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126335 by moss
The Yak trailer doesn't replace my walking trailer. It gives me another option, especially when I don't want to drive. Or I can carry the bike and Yak in the car and then use it to go where the car can't go. Once I'm in the woods the Yak will go wherever my bike goes. If I need to go off-trail into rough terrain then I park the bike and carry the gear from there.

Hey docteric, let me know when you're free to do some climbing!
-moss

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126336 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic Bicycle trailer for carrying climbing gear
Moss,

I suddenly had an image of you flying through an "untrailed" forest on your bike with the Yak bouncing along behind you. I wish I could draw.

Unfortunately I'm not doing a lot of climbing these days. Got up Sunday for the first time in over a month. I'm teaching a couple of classes at the local college and building a deck on my home. doesn't leave much time for other stuff - including sleep.

'though it'd be a last to get together I'm afraid I'll have to pass until the end of the semester at least. Maybe a frosty climb in January?

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126337 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic Correction
"'though it'd be a LAST"? I meant to type "a blast".

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126507 by ajakz12
Replied by ajakz12 on topic dreams
I have a dream of a bike trailer that can be disasembled and used as the struts and bits for a camping tree nest. Thinking you can make a trailer out of heavier and longer matierial than you would want to carry. (maybe a treeboat like structure for sleeping more than one) It just seems kind of romantic to me, Bikepacking through the trees, quietly and under your own power. Maybe the wheel(s) could be used as a mechanical assist for lifting gear.

The only person you have to be better than, is yourself from yesterday.

More
5 years 7 months ago #138193 by dmanstasiu
Replied by dmanstasiu on topic Bicycle trailer for carrying climbing gear
12 year old thread ... resurrected!

I've got a Surly and the same BOB Yak trailer. Im hoping to do some solo human-powered rec climbing up some big PNW trees. Now the challenge is finding the time for 2+ days cycling (approach + return) in addition to the day(s) actually spent climbing

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #138194 by moss

dmanstasiu wrote: 12 year old thread ... resurrected!

I've got a Surly and the same BOB Yak trailer. Im hoping to do some solo human-powered rec climbing up some big PNW trees. Now the challenge is finding the time for 2+ days cycling (approach + return) in addition to the day(s) actually spent climbing

Whenever I'm in the PNW woods I think of a bicycle as the best way for a climber to get around. As i once said to a park ranger in the east, "It's photography equipment", which was true except for the additional climbing equipment.

If you could rig your Yak to serve as a walking cart you could extend its range beyond where you want to take your bike. I'm thinking of a mod to my BOB trailer to make that happen.
-AJ

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds