Throw Sock - The Second Device

• jimk123
  • jimk123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125840 by jimk123
Throw Sock - The Second Device was created by jimk123
This posting introduces the throw sock concept of setting a line. It works in conjunction with the releasable weight to prevent throwing equipment from becoming stuck.

Line is packed into a small bag and thrown to a target branch. It typically returns to ground. It completely eliminates the pendulum wrapping found with the conventional throw line. Because the line is now segmented into smaller parts, the climber has numerous options.

One option is to never flake line out. Ever have flaked line get tangled? Another option is to avoid a pullback of the throw weight. The line can be disconnected or the weight can be released. The climber now finds canopy throws more manageable.

Could there be more to the story? Yes there is.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125841 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic The Throw Sock Technique
This photo introduces how the line is segmented into three small bags or throw socks. Throw sock #1 is thrown. Throw sock #2 feeds line. Throw sock #3 has these purposes: 1) limb isolation (to be explained later) 2) can hoist throw sock #2 to high point for clearing a sapling. 3) back-up to throw sock #1.

I typically use all three for entry and #1 and #3 for advancing in the canopy. For advancing, #3 will feed #1 if needed.

The throw sock works because the momentum of the throw keeps the packed line at the same speed of the weight. Once the target branch is breached, drag on the line builds and pulls out packed line. This predominately happens on the descent. The absence of tension in the line kills the pendulum swing.

I named the use of three throw socks the Triad Hand Throw System - like the three notes of a chord.

And there's more to the story.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun In Trees

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125844 by jimk123
Most line throws are imperfect. Though a line may be in the canopy, the line still needs to be isolated around the target branch. This technique concerns the use of a throw sock to assist the isolation process. A throw sock is attached to the line with a slip knot. It's hoisted into place and released. It can drop 50' direct to the ground for the climber. This can be repeated several times with the same throw line. The result is multiple crotches can be set for a climb.

These set of photos provide a walk through. In case someone notices, the tree is a Crab Apple, and the crotch is at 6'. This is demonstration only. You can set your limb higher if you want!

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125845 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Isolating A Branch - A Typical Situation
This photo illustrates a common dilemma where the throw line has been successful in reaching the canopy and return to the climber. However, the target branch needs to be isolated.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun In Trees

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125847 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Limb Isolation - Attaching the Throw Sock

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125849 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Limb Isolation - The Throw Sock in Positon

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125850 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Limb Isolation - Successful Conclusion

More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125852 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Throw Sock - The Second Device
Triad Hand Throw System…

On the technical issues, I do a lot more reading than posting here. I am admittedly a ”casual” recreational climber at best.

However, I can appreciate the exhaustive effort it takes to create a post such as that listed above. The photos, the graphics, the captions, etc…

Thanks for taking the time to put that together.
Looks like a system this casual climber will find very useful.

Ej

More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125855 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Throw Sock - The Second Device
I'll second that motion, you've practically written an instruction manual here, thanks for your innovation and effort!
-moss

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125860 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Thanks for the Feedback
Electrojake and Moss,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I appreciate that. In terms of contributing back to RTC, I don't see myself becoming an instructor. However, I have a belief that tree entry is the front door to RTC. For the newbie to be enthusiastically encourcaged that they're pursuing the right activity, it's our duty to guide them around the various pitfalls of tree climbing. From my personal experience, I know the newbie readily encounters the numerous pitfalls found with the conventional throw weight. A weight wrapping around a limb is number one in my book of pitfalls. It was by pure accident that I discovered how to eliminate it with packed line. Long hours of driving and long weekends at my boys' swim meets kept my mind chewing away on tree entry issues. The releasable throw weight concept was developed at a hot, stormy swim meet in Delaware Ohio.

More importantly, I've always held the view that we all are creating a living tree climbing manual through our collective sharings.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

Returning 19-Sep-05 to add working notes on limb isolation:
1) small gear carabiner can replace the butterfly knot. The benefit is the throw line flows through, allowing the use of a grapnel to be introduced. 2) To save on length of line required, the dropped line can be tied into the throw line making a loop around the limb. This prevents pulling up the end and allows for the other side to be pulled down effectively.

• john e routon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125862 by john e routon
Replied by john e routon on topic Throwing that Sock
Your efforts in explaining the system and also the pictures were nothing short of "AMAZING". Please join Abe and I sometime in the near fiture and give us a demo.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125894 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic The Optimized Throw Sock Configuration
This is the sequence for tieing the line and packing the throw sock. It wasn't previously presented, because of the numerous details being released.

More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125905 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Where's Mine?
Jim...

We've got a climb with several newish climbers end of this month. I'll be setting lots of lines in wilderness locations...when can you get me a set?

Icabod...lately gone...not forgotten (I HOPE!)

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125908 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Throw Sock - The Second Device
Icabod,

Send me your address via u2u.

Jim

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126311 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic A Throw Sock Got Stuck
The purpose of the Throw Sock concept was to make a throw weight more retrievable. One became perfectly stuck today. Of course I missed the wide open target and watched it cruise off to a wedge formed by two small branches.

Also I had the opportunity to climb with some experienced line setters. I judge that the Throw Sock is about 80% as efficient as the conventional throw weight. Though it offers options that make it retrievable and hits 60' limbs, it takes effort to manage.

I view it as a natural fit in a group climb where climbers are active setting limbs in close quarters. It has a significantly softer impact should someone be hit. It could be caught bare handed. This would be a safer option.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds