Throw line Tricks Article

• docteric
  • docteric's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124626 by docteric
Trouble placing my throwline was created by docteric
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I've been practicing with my throw weight and line and don't seem to be getting anywhere. From the ground I can throw it pretty accurately up to about 25 feet. Beyond that any throws over the right branch are pure luck.

Once in the tree it gets even worse. I'm lucky to get it onto a branch 10 feet over my head. :(

I'm wondering if I might go to a slingshot or some other device. I used to shoot a lot of archery, so I've considered using a bow, but I don't want to take the chance of damaging my good bow by dragging it up and down a tree. No yard saleing this time of year in CT so getting a cheap one is kind of out of the question.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124627 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic PRACTICE HARD
I throw really poorly...
My best advice is practice patiently. THink about every throw. Also competition seems to make me better. My friend always makes the entry shot first, but I have been so challenged by him (in other words we bust eachothers chops until someone makes a decent throw) that I have slowed down and concentrated on the mechanics.

In tree throws are a different monster altogather, you have to be prepared to get stuff stuck, so get at least two bags. Just keep practicing.

I gave up on the slingshot unless way out of my throw range (which is about 50' right now)

Also you might try a lighter bag.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bushwhacker

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124628 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Throwing
Throwing a weight is an interesting secondary skill. I didn't start tree climbing, because I like to throw. As I recognize the chance of getting things stuck, I refuse to purchase anything. I once walked up to a tree, grabbed a piece of wood on the ground, tied it with a clove hitch, and perfectly tossed it 40' through a crotch on the first throw. A return visit took several throws. If I want to be surgical about a throw, I'll use a nerf style football with a winged tail. Once I experimented with a biodegradable concept, using a potato. This winter, I took the time to sew padding around a golf ball in the shape of an arrowhead and attached a grommet. I'm waiting on warm weather to try that and other designs.

I typically use light nylon line to provide an initial throw with minimum drag up and maximum drop. Then I hoist up a 1/8" nylon line, which pulls my climbing rope.

In summary, I struggle with throwing as well. I do a lot of experimentation with it, because I don't want to get a $20 system stuck in a tree.

Regards,
JimK

• Rod Justice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124629 by Rod Justice
Replied by Rod Justice on topic Throw line Tricks Article
In Panama, January 2004, I saw (as did everyone else there) Abe Winters make a 101 foot hand throw to the first branch of the "graduation tree", a 180 foot Ceiba tree. No Bigshot (which I think he despises). It took him 45 minutes but there was a six pack of Panama beer riding on it. Likely, he would have stayed there all day, missing the climb if necessary, until he made it. I think he was using a 14 oz throwbag and fly lite. Everyone was duly impressed.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124631 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Throw line Tricks Article
When I first started climbing, my throwing mentality was that in order to install my climbing line, my line has to hit the crotch that I want it to get it. Within this past year or two, I'm learning that there are quite a few tricks you can use to manipulate the throwline once you have it in the tree.

Some of the basic techniques are explained in Tree Climbers Companion. Check that section out for a start.

Though I just bought one, the big shot is not necessary. Maybe if you're trying to hit 101' shots, or if you are going for a lot of 60-90' that you need to hit quickly. But for straight rec climbing, you should be fine throwing. Also, you should have throwing down as a skill before you get these other tools anyway. I'd hate to hike a couple miles to the tree, and find out you can't get up there because you left the crossbow back at the car.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• harrywbarnhurst
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124632 by harrywbarnhurst
Replied by harrywbarnhurst on topic Throwline
Happy New Year!

Have you ever noticed how much easier it is when you are the only one around?...just an observation!

I am definitely no expert, but have been helped by some who I do consider in that category. Sometimes I do well with a horeshoe like throw and sometimes I do well with the double hand throw. I had been using a 16oz bag with slickline until my friend, mentioned above, told me to try to use a lighter bag i.e. 10oz with Zing-it. I have to say that I have not purchased the zing-it but have been using a lighter bag with success. (I think that Icabod also recommended a light bag.) For advancing throws (IT) In Tree not Internet Technology, I find that I use a football style toss much of the time, this obviously has a shorter useful distance but I find that it is more accurate. It also needs pretty much a clear shot to the next limb. And although you didn't ask about it, I use the Grapnel from New Tribe to retrieve those pesky out-of-reach throw bags.

I guess it really comes down to practicing. Try to make a game of it and as someone said earlier have more than one bag. I can't tell you how many of my climbs needed at least a little time dedicated to the retrieval of the "stuck" throw bag.

Well, good luck to you and I hope that you have some fun perfecting this skill.

Be well.

In Peace,
Legolas

In Peace,

Legolas

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124634 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Throw line Tricks Article
I've said this before, but I like an 8oz bag.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124637 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Throw line Tricks Article
My advice is to use the lightest weight bag that you feel pretty confident can be coaxed down with the type of trees you usually climb. For me on ponderosas and cottonwoods, that's a 14oz. Practice with your usual weight bag and assume that there will be times when that's all you'll be doing - practicing. Some days, the tree just does not wish to be climbed.

Doc, let us know what technique you're using for tree entry with your throw weight.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124642 by knothead
Replied by knothead on topic Throw line Tricks Article

Originally posted by Ponderosa
Some days, the tree just does not wish to be climbed.

I'm going to write that one down, Ponderosa. I like it a lot. Seriously.

Regards,
-Knothead;)

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124645 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Rules of Throwing
Just trying to list a set of rules from the discussion:

1. Throwing success goes down as the number of people watching increases.
2. If nature can tie a knot in your line, it will.
3. The more money that you spend on throwing equipment, the more time you spend retrieving it.
4. Some days the tree just does not wish to be climbed.

JimK

• docteric
  • docteric's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124646 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic Throw line Tricks Article
Well folks, thanks for the suggestions. :D

I think that I'm going to sew some cordura I have into a bunch of throw bags and try them with different weights. See how it goes.

Ponderosa (He of the great quote) asked about what technique I use. I just got it from Flowers' book. I put a bight through the throw weight's ring (like he shows for the two handed throw) whether I'm using one or two hands. One trick I did find helps for higher shots is to make sure my backswing is high enough to give me the "uumph" without forcing the forward swing. Other than that, I guess I'm going to have to practice a bunch more. Rats! Now I have to spend even more time in the woods;).

Thanks for your input. I think I'm still going to look for a cheap bow 'though.

Eric

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124650 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Throwing up.
At TCI school climbers practice in an open field with throw weights in the beginning. That way they don’t get weights hung. They practice 3 throws; one is the long range entry throw. Docterik, you are probably using a cradle throw.

We also practice the forward arch and reverse arch throw. This is a canopy throw when you have branches directly above your head. This throw should be practiced directly below a low horizontal branch while you are standing on ground to get the swing of it, so to speak. On a good day, you can get between a 25-45 foot range on a branch directly above your head.

Practicing with peering eyes is much more difficult. Take someone of equal or below equal skill when you go out. Or practice alone if you are sensitive to raised eyebrows. Somehow I do not think you have a problem with questioning glances. Why is that?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124653 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Throw line Tricks Article
Some things that have worked for me with the cradle throw:
-Add to the length of the cradle system by choking up on the bighted, double-line side leaving some of the bight drooping out of your hand. Some people, especially those who are height-challenged like myself, have found this sometimes adds a little umph to their throw.
-Bend your knees on the back swing and unbend them as you release.
-Look at the area you're aiming for while you release. I often forget and keep my head down too long.
-While you practice, get to know your own throwing tendencies - right, left, too vertical, etc. - try to anticipate and compensate. My throws tend to have a right bias, and get progressively more vertical as I repeat my throws.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124657 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Visualize a good throw
Visualize a good throw. That helps. Frustration rarely helps. If you are hitting near your mark, persist. You are merely honing in on your target. If frustration creeps in, take a few deep breaths and carry on. If you hang up all of your throw weights, retreat and compose a good story to tell all of your friends about the aborted climb because you did not have enough weight to throw around.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124667 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic More advice
From "Caddy Shack":

"NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA"

For some reason it works, but only in the movie.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds