New Guy here...checking in

• NoSweat88
  • NoSweat88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #136479 by NoSweat88
New Guy here...checking in was created by NoSweat88
I didn't see a forum section for introductions, so I thought here would be good.

I've never (well...since I was 14 years old) done tree climbing. Honestly, didn't know there was such a thing as recreational tree climbing.

I actually found out about it after watching an episode of "The Legend of Mick Dodge" on TV. I am a camper and was toying with the idea of hammock camping. Then I saw the show where Mick slung a hammock between two trees and slept overnight ....looked like 25-30 feet up or so. I started researching and found the wonderful world of recreational tree climbing.

So most of my time here will be spent researching and asking a bunch of noooob questions about climbing and tree camping. Saw one post already.

Anyway...I'm here. Hoping to learn a lot. Don't know how much I can contribute, but will if I can.

NoSweat88
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by NoSweat88.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 week ago #136481 by patty
Replied by patty on topic New Guy here...checking in
Hi NoSweat88,

Welcome to the TCI Forums! Glad to have you here. No doubt there will be lots of climbers answering your questions, giving you feedback, and encouraging you. That's what we do around here.

No sweat if you "don't have much to contribute" for a little while. But I'd be surprised if you don't start telling us what you're climbing and how it's going for you. That's a contribution in itself. And we're all ears.

Have fun exploring our website. There's a ton of good information here to learn from, including the Newsletters in our "About Us" section, which alot of people miss.

Take care, and stay safe!

patty jenkins
Executive Director, TCI
The following user(s) said Thank You: NoSweat88

More
10 years 1 week ago #136483 by dogwood
Replied by dogwood on topic New Guy here...checking in
Where are you located, NoSweat?

• NoSweat88
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 1 week ago #136484 by NoSweat88
Replied by NoSweat88 on topic New Guy here...checking in
Long Island, NY

More
10 years 1 week ago #136485 by dogwood
Cool! I used to live out on the east end, Shelter Island. Do you know any climbers out there?

• NoSweat88
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 1 week ago #136486 by NoSweat88
Nope...not one. Just getting started and I looked around a little for a club but, so far, no luck.

More
10 years 1 week ago #136487 by Bushwhacker
Replied by Bushwhacker on topic New Guy here...checking in
I'm a canopy hammock camper as well, so if you need any help ask away! Treefool.com gives very succinct summaries of some basic set ups, and the guy who runs it is quite freindly. There also an entire forum dedicated to hammocks that's extremely active if you need help in that area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NoSweat88

• NoSweat88
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 1 week ago #136492 by NoSweat88
Thanks Bushwhacker. I'm sure I'll be messaging you often. I'm sure I'll find it elsewhere, but do you use a Treeboat or something different?

I'm thinking about a Clark NX-250. Treeboats seem pretty expensive. I know the Clark's not cheap, but most of the stuff that are addons for the TB are standard with the Clark.

Again, I'm very new at this so I have an open mind at this point.

NS88

More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #136494 by patty
Replied by patty on topic About gear
Hi Bushwhacker and NS88,

There is an enormous amount of information on our website in the "Gear" section, and many ratings of commonly-used gear on our "Gear Rater." I strongly urge you to read it all. Most of the gear both of you are mentioning is not familiar to me, and therefore, to the best of my knowledge, not in common use by tree climbers. It is always best to start with gear that is known and used in the tree climbing world rather than going for a substitute, which we will not be able to coach you on if/when you have questions about it and which may not be safe. For example, virtually everyone I know who sleeps in a hammock in a tree uses a New Tribe Tree Boat. There are reasons why this is so. Rather than exploring other, less well-known, brands, I'd start here by asking for feedback about that one. Same with rope, saddles, and everything else.

In addition, you should be using gear that is made for tree climbing, NOT gear that is meant for rock climbing. You need to know the difference. For example, dynamic ropes (for rock climbing) shouldn't be substituted for static arborist ropes (see below) that are meant for tree climbing. You will learn about this in our gear section.

Finally, I urge you to pay attention to and heed advice by the senior climbers on our Forums. Moss, for example, is one of the most experienced climbers on this Forum and comes here almost every day. He and others can provide answers that will mean that you're not re-inventing the wheel. We want you to be safe above all.

All the very best,
patty

ADDING AN EDIT HERE! Treeman just told me that the "static" ropes are generally used by cavers, and they generally are too stiff to take a Blake's hitch. Tree climbers use arborist ropes. /psj
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by patty.

More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #136496 by dogwood
Hey NoSweat,

You have come to a great place to find out about the wonderful world of tree climbing! Tree Climbers International was started by Peter "Treeman" Jenkins over 30 years ago. In that time, he's taught more people to climb trees than just about anybody. I would HIGHLY recommend that you get with TCI and register for a Beginners Tree Climbing Course. I guarantee that you will learn a lot and have a boatload of fun. There are many people on this forum, some have a great deal of experience climbing trees, and are excellent teachers. There are people here of every experience level, from none, to a lot. Do yourself a huge favor and get with a really experienced climber who is qualified to instruct you. Also, don't delay, order yourself a copy of Tree Climbing Basics, right here on this website. You'll be glad you did!
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by dogwood.

• NoSweat88
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 1 week ago #136497 by NoSweat88
Replied by NoSweat88 on topic About gear
Patty,

thanks for the advice. As mentioned, I am new and here to learn.

NS88

• NoSweat88
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #136498 by NoSweat88
Thanks Dogwood...I'd love to find someone in my area to help.

Some things can't be learned WELL from books and YouTube.

NS88
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by NoSweat88.

More
10 years 1 week ago #136501 by dogwood
Have you been to the climber finder here on the website? You might want to give that a try. If you get up to New England, there's quite an active bunch of climbers. Moss is up there. Try giving him a shout!

More
10 years 6 days ago - 10 years 6 days ago #136502 by Bushwhacker
Replied by Bushwhacker on topic New Guy here...checking in
Bear in mind that I have had no professional training, and I am in no way qualified to give advice, so this isn't advice, this is just my extremely dangerous way of getting into the trees for less money. You will surely die if you try to sleep like this.

I don't use a treeboat. I was originally going to get one, but I was talked out of it by full time hammockers who prefer gathered end hammocks (they really are SUPER comfortable). I currently have a Warbonnet blackbird and a DIY hammock , which have replaced my tent for ground camping trips as well. Like I said, really comfortable. I know quite a few people who have stopped sleeping in their beds at home because the hammock gives them a better sleep! There is a good list of starter hammocks here . Clark's hammock on the other hand - well that is a) not rated for canopy camping, b) not comfortable, c) expensive, d) heavy. Tree Fool uses a hammock he made for less than $30 , but as you can tell from his name, you will surely die using that type of hammock.

I also NEVER take off my harness. I sleep in it fully connected so a) I can descend quickly if I need to (useful if the conditions change to being unsafe, lightning for instance), and b) redundancy. So many things can go wrong. You can sleep walk (rare, but not worth the risk), and portaledges have had lethal failures in the past (they are more common than treeboats, so more failures have been reported). I would still use a harness if I were in a treeboat.

I'm using a screamer when I sleep so that if I do take a fall, I would have some shock absorption to avoid breaking either the branches or myself. If you do this though you will end up killing yourself.

In any case, I would suggest checking out the hammock forums sale section and posting your WTB (want to buy) - they tend to be quite active so there's a high chance of you getting a good discount on equipment. Actually, I take that back. That's what I would do, but you will definitely die if you don't buy it new. Seriously. You could just wait till amazon has them on sale.
Last edit: 10 years 6 days ago by Bushwhacker.

More
10 years 6 days ago #136503 by moss
Replied by moss on topic New Guy here...checking in
Yep there are excellent DYI hammocks out there. If you're securely tied in you could sleep in a stick nest if you wanted to ;-)
-AJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bushwhacker

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds