Shoes

• GermanyBert
  • GermanyBert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #136148 by GermanyBert
Shoes was created by GermanyBert
Since I am only a recreational climber what kind of shoes should I wear? Would I benefit by using Big Wall shoes or is that a bad idea?

At this time I wear hiking boot.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by GermanyBert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #136149 by roth_wyatt
Replied by roth_wyatt on topic Shoes
Personal preferance. For foot locking in drt and srt, I use hiking boots, for everything else like footsling ascension and other things I use a pair of vibram five fingers. Most people wear hiking boots for the ankle support and easier footlocking. Try out both if you have a pair of big walls but if not just use boots.

More
10 years 6 months ago #136156 by HUK
Replied by HUK on topic Shoes
One thing to keep in mind for foot locking (at least for me) is the inside arch of the shoe. The way I prefer to hold my feet does not work if there is a high arch (or even a heel that saw boots have). It allows the rope to slip through 'the hole'. Many people don't care but I prefer flatter soled boots to make It easier. If you are starting out just try whatever you have lying around before you buy. Otherwise pick what you like. I've never worn big wall shoes but I am thinking hiking boots are more suited to trees - and you wouldn't need to change shoes to get to where ever you are climbing. Just my two cents.

• GermanyBert
  • GermanyBert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago #136158 by GermanyBert
Replied by GermanyBert on topic Shoes
Thanks for the input. I don't think I will ever use foot locking since I am used to the foot sling now. i might get a Petzl Pantin for my right foot. I had not thought of Five Fingers, I will have to give them a try.

More
10 years 6 months ago #136159 by HUK
Replied by HUK on topic Shoes
One thing I learned - using the pantin with an srt walking system gives me knee pain. Drt is ok because of it needs less force, but for srt I need to use two foot loops.

More
10 years 6 months ago #136160 by roth_wyatt
the only downside to vibrams are the soles are thin so they aren't good with thin slings or thin ropes. I started out footlocking on a single 9 mil climbing line and the vibrams are uncomfy but for anything webbing or 11 to 1/2 inch they are great

More
10 years 6 months ago #136161 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Shoes
If you're going to use a Pantin a light hiking boot that covers the ankle is a must, otherwise the Pantin will dig into your ankle. I've been climbing heavily on Vasque Breeze 2.0's all summer and like them very much, light, breathable and flexible enough so I can be nimble on the tree but protective enough that I can wear a Pantin comfortably. Work well enough for footlocking. I don't expect them to last more than a year though. Always a tradeoff, longer lasting boots are not as comfortable for me to wear climbing.
-AJ

More
10 years 6 months ago #136162 by roth_wyatt
Personally I perfer a pair of high techs because they are light cheap, work great with the pantin and they last forever, also I have Campmor nearby to help out with boots
Wyatt

More
10 years 6 months ago #136166 by moss

roth_wyatt wrote: Personally I perfer a pair of high techs because they are light cheap, work great with the pantin and they last forever, also I have Campmor nearby to help out with boots
Wyatt

What are high techs?

More
10 years 6 months ago #136167 by roth_wyatt
they are a cheaper brand of hiking boot. oops hi-tech my bad
http://www.hi-tec.com/us/

Another quick thing to mention:Socks are key when doing anything outdoors, in fact socks can and will make or break your day. Cotton socks on hiking boots are terrible for any reason, always where a good pair of hiking socks, smart wool and darn tough brand name socks are good there are also many others

More
10 years 6 months ago #136176 by moss
Thanks for the info on Hi-Tec boots. They are inexpensive! I checked out some reviews, they have some wear issues but overall were rated well for the price.
-AJ

More
10 years 6 months ago #136180 by roth_wyatt
I haven't experienced any wear on them from the hikes that I go on, in fact I regularly hand them down if they get too small

More
10 years 6 months ago #136191 by moss

roth_wyatt wrote: I haven't experienced any wear on them from the hikes that I go on, in fact I regularly hand them down if they get too small

I'm sure they're fine. If you climb daily or 3-4 times a week you'll wear out the most well-made light hiking boots in a year. Light hiking boots aren't designed for wear from rope and tree surfaces. A heavier leather boot will handle rope wear and jamming a boot into tight spots in trees but they're less nimble.
-AJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: frances_taylor

More
10 years 6 months ago #136192 by roth_wyatt
I wonder if a peice of foam could stop my pantin from digging into my ankle when I wear vibrams :huh:

More
10 years 6 months ago #136193 by moss

roth_wyatt wrote: I wonder if a peice of foam could stop my pantin from digging into my ankle when I wear vibrams :huh:

Worth trying, another possibility is a piece of heavy leather cut to shape, placed in an optimal position to protect a bare ankle and stitched to the Pantin webbing.
-AJ

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds