Other Slingshots in Use?

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 2 months ago #133191 by Davej
Other Slingshots in Use? was created by Davej
The recent conversations have been about the Sidewinder and the current version of the Big Shot but what other slingshots are in use? I know two others are mentioned here...

New Tribe Notes

And CulinaryTracker suggested this one...

Tennis Ball Launcher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #133192 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Other Slingshots in Use?
Davej wrote:

The recent conversations have been about the Sidewinder and the current version of the Big Shot but what other slingshots are in use? I know two others are mentioned here...

New Tribe Notes

And CulinaryTracker suggested this one...

Tennis Ball Launcher

Besides the Big Shot replica/knock-off marketed in Australia the Sidewinder and Big Shot are the only large slingshots intended for tree access that have been offered commercially.

Treetramp has 5 or six designs for throwing devices.

Any of the \"wrist rocket\" type slingshots can be used with modification to implement a fishing reel (as shown on the NT web site).
-moss

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 2 months ago #133193 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Other Slingshots in Use?

moss wrote:
Treetramp has 5 or six designs for throwing devices.

Any of the \"wrist rocket\" type slingshots can be used with modification to implement a fishing reel...

I have the Walmart \"wrist rocket\" and plan to modify that to launch a full size bag for short-distance in-tree use. I also plan to build a large slingshot once I've decided on an approach.

What is more recreational than building a slingshot?:)

More
15 years 2 months ago #133194 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Other Slingshots in Use?
Davej wrote:

I have the Walmart \"wrist rocket\" and plan to modify that to launch a full size bag for short-distance in-tree use.

Hmmm, that is not going to work very well. Can you say \"blooper\"? :-) Check in with Treetramp (Dan House), he's designed some very nifty and simple in-tree throwing devices that do an excellent job of handling regular size throw bags.
-moss

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 2 months ago #133197 by Davej

moss wrote:
Hmmm, that is not going to work very well. Can you say \"blooper\"? :-) Check in with Treetramp...

You feel the recoil will be too significant to get any accuracy?

More
15 years 2 months ago #133201 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Other Slingshots in Use?
Not recoil, just not enough power from the surgical tubing to get a 16, 12, or even 8 oz. bag up very far. You could easily throw a bag higher than the wrist rocket would get it. Kinda defeats the purpose of using a device other than your good ole' arm, huh?

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 2 months ago #133204 by Davej

Baker wrote:
Not recoil, just not enough power...

Ok, I'll concentrate on the big slingshot for now.

More
15 years 2 months ago #133216 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Other Slingshots in Use?
I have used a modified
Wrist-Sling Shot similar to what Scott Alphenhoof mentions on the New Tribe site and it works great with small (3 Oz Bags) from New Tribe.

It is not easy to carry in the tree because it is bulky by the time you add the fishing reel adaptation but it sure is more accurate than most other throwing gear I have seen used. They may not be as powerful as a full size compound bow but I have gone 150 feet over and across my neighbors trees without mayor problems. Getting the throw bag returned at that distance...that is another challenge anyway. :laugh:

If you even have to chance to see Scott use his set up you will understand what I am talking about. B)

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 2 months ago #133219 by Davej

oldtimer wrote:
I have used a modified Wrist-Sling Shot similar to what Scott Alphenhoof mentions on the New Tribe site and it works great with small...

Well, I'm concerned that the 20lb monofilament would end up being a huge headache, considering the tangles and one-endedness, and it isn't so cheap either.

More
15 years 2 months ago #133222 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Re:Other Slingshots in Use?
Ballistic Projectiles Summary

Any line setting device requires the review of physics to work with the laws of nature. What goes up must come down. Huh I can’t count the number of times that I have hung a bag in a tree. To work correctly your projectile has to drop back to the ground so it has to weight more than the pilot line it is pulling plus the friction across the bark. The lighter the pilot line the lighter the projectile and the higher altitude developed.
Elliot Su has a hurricane hand toss using fishing net poly twine and lead shot fishing anchors. Simple and effective assuming head protection for all around. Those ricochets hurt. This can also be shot out of a high powered wrist rocket see> http://www.rhythm-blues-new-used.com/slingshot or http://www.amazon.com/Saunders-Wrist-Rocket-Pro-Slingshot/dp/B000HE6E6I

I fill a section of tubular webbing with lead shot and sew the ends closed to make my own projectiles that thud rather than bounce.

For larger projectiles you need a larger system with a larger pouch. The tennis ball launcher can be modified with stronger latex tubing and works well with low shots using 8 ounce bags. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/gear-shops/recreation/dog/57008.aspx?feature=P6129-C50385-L2&processor=content

With a little bending skill you can heat and bend rod stock to form a head that can accept a BigShot pouch and band assembly or make your own out of latex tubing. Using a hand torch and brass brazing rod and a little practice anyone can braze steel rod. It is as strong as welding but much easier.

My favorite line setting tool is my modification of the flying monkey. You stretch the whole single band down a pole. The single band has a loop at the top that nocks into a slot on the top of the pole. The other end of the band it attached to my lead-filled tubular webbing. The very end of the webbing has a 1” flat strap that can be secured in thumb release buckle. The buckle has a cord tied in a prussic that slides down the pole to draw and hold. Attach your line to the top loop; slide flat strap into the buckle; nock on the top of the pole; slide down to stretch the latex (10” of latex needs to stretch to 40” for 300% modus of elasticity power); ready aim FIRE. It tumbles as it flies and the Dunlop brothers call it the flying chicken. Maybe I should be insulted but darn it they are right and it is funny to see fly.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 2 months ago #133223 by Davej

TreeTramp wrote:
Any line setting device requires the review of physics to work with the laws of nature. What goes up must come down.

Well, what's 12oz x 120ft in joules? Actually I don't really need high power here anyway. My trees aren't all that tall.

The lighter the pilot line the lighter the projectile and the higher altitude developed.

Yes but of course there are also downsides to using thin line.

I fill a section of tubular webbing with lead shot and sew the ends closed to make my own projectiles that thud rather than bounce.

Yes, I have some 2\" neon yellow tubing, some lead shot, some discarded road bike inner tubes to make bladders, and some brass eyelets.

With a little bending skill you can heat and bend rod stock to form a head that can accept a BigShot pouch and band assembly or make your own out of latex tubing. Using a hand torch and brass brazing rod and a little practice anyone can braze steel rod. It is as strong as welding but much easier.

I have some 5/8\" tubing on order.

My favorite line setting tool is my modification of the flying monkey. You stretch the whole single band down a pole. The single band has a loop at the top that nocks into a slot on the top of the pole.

Looks neat although the latex must add quite a bit of air resistance.

10” of latex needs to stretch to 40” for 300% modus of elasticity power

So is that the standard stretch ratio that everyone uses?

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #133226 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic FLYING CHICKEN?
OK Set down and get ready for a lecture on latex. You got to know that making things fly is a passion for me. So if you can stand to ignore the man behind the curtain and just listen to the all powerful and all knowing Wizard of OZ I am going to lift the skirts off all the secrets about my basement workshop and emporium.

I got this super cool spreadsheet chart that asks graphical questions. Static length of latex tubing; ID; OD; temperature; draw length = modus of elasticity.

I got consistent draw strength in pounds of pull by using a digital scale. Start with 10\" pull it to 20\" and its 100% elongated and very little pull and only 10\" of draw length. The force formula here is mass; distance and accelleration. Latex tube needs to be pulled at least 3 times to get 300% strength and at max 4 times to get 400%. One man can't easliy pull 500% and STOP at 600% before it might break at 750.

My Pole Vault launch tubes measure 15\" static and 75\" at full draw; total travel of lead shot tube is 60\" at the total weight (postal scale) of 8 ounces. Pulling Fireline fishing line on an open-faced jumbo reel it apexed at 155 feet. Pulling Zing-IT red 2.3mm out of a cube it apexed at 127 feet.

Anybody else like phsysics to tell me what thise means?

Battle tested; test-drawn at 75 pounds pull; finger trigger release. How can you dare to call it the \"Flying Chicken?\"
It looks more think a tumbling black racer.

See you at the top.
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by TreeTramp.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 2 months ago #133227 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:FLYING CHICKEN?

TreeTramp wrote:
My Pole Vault launch tubes measure 15\" static and 75\" at full draw; total travel of lead shot tube is 60\" at the total weight (postal scale) of 8 ounces. Pulling Fireline fishing line on an open-faced jumbo reel it apexed at 155 feet.

Well... that's about 105 Joules, which is the energy it would take to light a 100W light bulb for 1.05 seconds.

How can you dare to call it the \"Flying Chicken?\"
It looks more think a tumbling black racer.

Interesting approach. How about a spring-loaded hook that could force release once the tension was gone?

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #133242 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re: Spreadsheet?

TreeTramp wrote:
I got this super cool spreadsheet chart that asks graphical questions. Static length of latex tubing; ID; OD; temperature; draw length = modus of elasticity.

Ok Master Yoda, I've gotten some tubing but it isn't as good as I had hoped. It measures ~0.55 inch O.D. and the wall thickness seems to be 1/10 inch. How much difference will that make?
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by Davej.

More
15 years 2 months ago #133244 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re: Spreadsheet?
Davej wrote:

TreeTramp wrote:

Ok Master Yoda, I've gotten some tubing but it isn't as good as I had hoped. It measures ~0.55 inch O.D. and the wall thickness seems to be 1/10 inch. How much difference will that make?

Just an FYI, the replacement latex tubing that I use on my Sidewinder has the following spec:
OD 1/2\".
ID 3/8\"
Wall 1/8\"

-moss

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds