• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126572 by moss
Here are some photos of how I'm carrying my House sleeve in the tree:
Pipe holder photos

I use a short prusik loop attached to a keychain carabiner and make two wraps around the pipe. An experienced climber commented that my earlier one-wrap version didn't look very secure so I retied so there's enough loop to make a two wrap. It will not let go of the pipe, I've tried everything, will not come off. The other end of the climbing rope is through the pipe and secured with a knot. I can tie-in to a throwline and pull the rope over a branch while it's still tied in with the prusik. When I'm ready I put a slip knot below the pipe, detach the prusik and pull the pipe over the branch.
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126588 by nickfromwi
Looks like a handy idea. Who's seen the new New Tribe harnesses that have a tube in them for the rope sleeves?

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126602 by charlieb
So you're using the pipe like a funnel as you hoist your rope over the branch?--since it stays tied to the prusik until you're ready to hoist up the pipe? In other words you wait until you pull the rope over your next branch before you release the pipe?
If so, that a great idea Moss!
Gotta try this one!

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126606 by moss

Originally posted by charlieb
So you're using the pipe like a funnel as you hoist your rope over the branch?--since it stays tied to the prusik until you're ready to hoist up the pipe? In other words you wait until you pull the rope over your next branch before you release the pipe?

That's basically it. I don't have to think about the pipe until I'm ready to pull it over the branch. Then I tie a slip knot below it, unclip the biner and take the prusik off.

The knot that holds the rope in at the top of the pipe is an overhand on a bight so I can tie the throwline on, take out the overhand knot and pull the rope over the branch, still not worrying that the pipe will slide down the rope

Another advantage is the way it hangs from the saddle is streamlined, gets in the way less during climbing.

Also the biner and prusik are good for carrying the pipe without rope threaded through it.
-moss

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126610 by charlieb
Ingenious Moss!
I'll be trying this one soon!
Thanks.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126624 by tengu12
I've been playing with different ways to carry my House sleeves with me up into the canopy. It worked well while threaded over my rope, but found it a hassle when I was setting a new anchor using a monkey fist.
After working with Viola, from New Tribe, we came up with this design to carry either the House Sleeve or the Su Saver on your belt while climbing. It also gives you an arm rest while in the tree

This is just a prototype and is being tested for its durability. So far after about 6 months of climbing in this new saddle its holding up great.

click here
http://homepage.mac.com/treekster/PhotoAlbum23.html

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126625 by nickfromwi
That's the one I was talking about!

Thanks for the pics, Tim!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126626 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic An add on to our New Tribe saddle?
So here's the big question. Can this be added to our harness if we sent it in to New Tribe? Is it going to be an add on option?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126627 by leon123
This is kind of off topic, but I've been dreaming about a floating bridge option for the New Tribe saddle. Aaaahh...the perfect saddle....

Back on topic, that is a very streamlined way to carry the rope sleeve. Smooth.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126630 by charlieb
Leon,
You can buy the Petzl "Side Straps" and have New Tribe put them on for you with an alteration that I designed for them on the legstraps.
Viola will do this for you.
This will give you a floating bridge and the closest to a perfect saddle as they come.
Maybe one day in the future they will design their own sewn-in bridge, but until then, this is it.
Enjoy!

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126631 by leon123
Sounds interesting Charlie. I remember you posting about the sidestraps before. Are you still using it and how well do you like it?

One problem is that I can't afford to part with my saddle right now, as I don't have a backup, and I need it for work.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126645 by moss

Originally posted by tengu
I've been playing with different ways to carry my House sleeves with me up into the canopy. It worked well while threaded over my rope, but found it a hassle when I was setting a new anchor using a monkey fist.

Hey Tengu, the pipe sleeve on the saddle looks excellent. I do have to mention that the method I described (hanging the pipe on a prusik with rope end pre-threaded) works very well for throwing a monkey fist and advancing the rope in general.

To throw a monkey fist leave the pipe in place on the prusik saddle attachment. Pull up enough slack through the pipe to reach over the branch and back. Before tying the monkey fist tie a slip knot just above the pipe so that there is no "down" weight on the throwing part of the rope and the slack won't slide back through. Throw the fist over the branch, tie a slip kot below the pipe, pull out the slip knot above the pipe, take the prusik off the pipe and pull the cambium saver into place.

To make things easier on a recent climb I already had my figure eight on a bight and bridge tied above the pipe (from a previous TIP). I buried it in the monkey fist so after I put the cambium saver over the branch all I had to do was tie and set a Blake's on the down rope and was ready to continue climbing.
-moss

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126647 by charlieb

Originally posted by Leon
Sounds interesting Charlie. I remember you posting about the sidestraps before. Are you still using it and how well do you like it?

One problem is that I can't afford to part with my saddle right now, as I don't have a backup, and I need it for work.

Leon,
Maybe you could just simply order the Sidestraps, try them as is and if not satisfied, send them back. That way you won't have to part with your saddle. They work great and fit just fine on the NT saddle w/o any alterations. The alteration was just one small simple loop to prevent the small delta link that goes around the leg strap from moving so much, that's all.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126652 by leon123
I think I'll have to give that a shot Charlie. Could you point me to where I can get a good deal on the Sidestraps. I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks for the advice.

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126663 by charlieb
Leon,
Go to this link/store and type in a search for sidestraps. It will show a good picture with detail info.
www.patrollersupply.com/store

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds