Rope

• slingshot
  • slingshot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126073 by slingshot
Rope was created by slingshot
Ran across some army surplus rope on the web and wondered if that typre of rope was any good. 7/16" Army issue olive drab,
9500lb break. Bein' new I just wondered.

don't got lots o' cash at the moment so just lookin' for good stuff inexpensive like.

still freeclimbin' :D

slingshot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126074 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic Depends...
That would depend on what the rope is made out of. Most types of rock climbing rope would melt if you used the types of hitches that tree climbers use. What is the Army rope made out of?

Plus, it depends on how you are going to climb. You might be OK with some non-arborist ropes if you are ONLY going to be climbing SRT using mechanical ascenders and a mechanical descent device. How are you going to climb?

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126075 by moss
Replied by moss on topic What style of climbing?
Any ideas about what kind of climbing style/technique you want to use? That will make a difference in deciding what rope to use. You should investigate that before purchasing any rope no matter how good the price. Otherwise you may end up with something you won't use.
-moss

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126076 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Cheap hand guns.
Buying a cheap rope is like buying a cheap hand gun. It might not work for you when you need it (too stiff or too stretchy with a rope), or worse, blow up in your hand when you do use it (break in the case of a rope).

Get a good rope to start off with. Never buy a used rope. You are, after all, worth it.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126081 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic rope
Thanks for the feedback, I should clearify:
I said inexpensive not cheap i.e Yugo cheap, Chevy Cavalier inexspensive but still good car. I'm still not sure of climbing style but would like to find a rope that would enable me to experiment with different styles to find which would be best for me without blowin' lots o' dough or having too much unused equiptment.

Understood you get what you pay for, but would figure there is a good quality, multi style rope for little$$ The Army rope was climbing/ reppelling rope 3 strand nylon.

Thanks for all the help folks!!!!

Just out of the tree!! :D :D
Slingshot

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126083 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Rope
Where abouts are you located? You might try meeting with a rec climber or arborist in your area so you can get a look at the rope and equipment, 3 strand nylon isn't going to work well for you.

Try looking through the arborist supply websites like Sherrill, Fresco, or Wesspur etc. there's alot of info there on rope types and uses. You can buy rope by the foot from Fresco and I think Wesspur. You could pick up up 30 ft. of arborist rope (won't cost much) and throw it over a low branch or beam and tie a few knots with it. It won't be wasted you can make a lanyard out of it later.

Also check out "Tree Climber's Companion", New Tribe or Sherrill has it on their website. It's a little book that doesn't cost much but has excellent info on tree climbing technique.

And keep asking questions.
-moss

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126084 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Static arborist rope. My suggestion.
Try a static arborist rope. They work well with ascenders and DbRT. Please read the section here on gear.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126085 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Rope
I just found an excellent deal on Samson Velocity on ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/9gcpg

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126087 by mateo12
Replied by mateo12 on topic Rope
Only 150' though... could you tie two together? Is that possible when tree climbing, I've never read anything about that. I would assume so, unless those who climb the redwoods would have to carry a spool with them. ;)

mateo

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126088 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic Rope
:( Ya as I looked over the rope again I noticed that 3 probably wouldn't be a good choice. Live in Iowa and still looking for people here with skills in this area, my neighbor does some tree work and I work for Vermeer Mfg. so I have ways of getting some arbor equiptment. That's why I'm asking so much about the ropes used .

Not alot of huge trees here(still checking out good prospects) so probably would use for access, and desending for now, and a short daisy rope for extra fun in the tops.

Love all the info. though, made me go out and climb earlier just to sit in the breez.

Warm and inside,
slingshot

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126093 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Rope
Skip any three strand rope for anything except possibly lanyards or where you want to splice eyes. Get a traditional arbo rope, you'll be much happier.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126096 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic On Rope length
I started w/ SPORTLINE 7/16” 12-strand Arborist Rope 120 FT long from New tribe. It has been more than enough for the type of climbing I do. Dan House has 200 ft of the same type of rope and he is happy doing DRT and SRT w/ the same rope. This is a fairly inexpensive rope but it is versatile for most new climbers. As one gets more into the RTC and advances to higher trees or more money becomes available I would recommend the Poison Ivy rope ( From Sherrills). It is a lighter but more advanced,versatile type of rope but it is more money so you have to make your desicion based on cost and uses of the rope. Most any arborist rope will work for new RTC climbers depending on who is teaching then or if they are learning by themselves by reading and trying low and slow new techniques.

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126827 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic Rope
Anyone have experience with xtc Phoenix or Yellow Jacket rope's?

looking through my ASCEND mag. and was wondering how these fair with different climbing styles?

slingshot

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126828 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Rope
I climb DdRT on another flavor of Yale XTC and like it very much. Of the two ropes you mentioned the Phoenix XTC has a superior tensile strength of 7000 lb. as opposed to 6200 for the Yellow Jacket (can't find any indication of who makes Yellow Jacket).

I don't climb w/ascenders so I can't comment on how XTC performs but it should do well enough with ascenders rated for 1/2" rope.
-moss

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126832 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic Rope / climbing style
I guess I am really looking at SRT tech.
On the SRT vs. DRT thread it was stated that you could climb SRT without the use of ascenders, but could use friction hitches just as well. Thanks to MR . Tom Dunlap I think "strong limbs and single ropes" is the way I want to go.. would the lines I mentioned earlier work well in this style of climbing or are there certain ropes better for this style of climbing?

sorry so much writting'
slingshot

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds