Tree camping, sleep in harness?

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #133971 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:baby owls
Good report on the baby owls. My take on owl calling is that if you're frequently tree camping in the same place, repeatedly calling them in is harassment. If you're out in the woods on a one off sleep-over and you hear owls calling and start a conversation, little harm is done*. Barred Owl is very talkative you may find them keeping you up.

*Another caveat on owl calling: if you call in a Screech Owl you may expose it to predation by a Barred Owl or Great-Horned Owl, they're listening to the conversation as well. A friend was attacked by a Great-Horned while conversing with a Screech during an owl count. The Great-Horned went for his head with its very large talons out, in the dark the owl assumed that the call coming from his lips was an actual Screech and was making a "blind" grab for dinner. The owl changed direction just before contact. In the same way a Great-Horned may also attack a Barred that reveals its position. As always it's wise to be careful when recreationally meddling with mother nature. The negative possibilities I described are low percentage but can happen.
-moss
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by moss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #133972 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Re:baby owls
I've toyed with a few iterations of a sleep harness. Like many here, the first thing I tried was a basic rock harness worn underneath the tree harness.

Rarely satisfied with good enough, I've sewn some pretty comfy harnesses with anywhere between 1" and 3" webbing- some flat, some tubular. All only designed to hold me if I were to sleep-roll (somehow :silly: ) out of a treeboat, or to let me make a quick descent in case of emergency.

I usually keep the same DRT setup, but I put a nylon webbing extender to push everything several feet above me. I put a slack tender ABOVE my friction hitch with a tether hanging from it. The tether is made from this funky rope that I got at the Mississippi Rendezvous. If I have to make a quick descent, I feel for that funny rope, pull, and down I go.

Like moss, I keep a LOT of slack in the system when I sleep. I don't want to notice it's there while I'm rollin' and sleeping.

I've slept literally hundreds of nights in my treeboat. After it's been a while, the first night I don't sleep much. I guess my body needs to be reminded "how" to sleep in the treeboat. Any consecutive nights I sleep very peacefully.

Sometimes I get a lot of pressure on my heels if I sleep with my legs straight. The pain wakes me up and it takes a minute to move to a more comfortable position and wait for the pain to go away before I sleep again.

Other than that, I love my boat!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
14 years 4 months ago #134286 by treemonster
Replied by treemonster on topic Re:baby owls
NT has (had?) a sleeping harness that was a basic, no attachment harness with no additional padding. Perhaps I only know about this because one of the owners is my ex-wife.

I believe a basic,rock climbing harness would give you the same level of comfort and safety.

Cheers,
Greg

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds