Tree camping, sleep in harness?

• Holden
  • Holden's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
14 years 10 months ago #133821 by Holden
Tree camping, sleep in harness? was created by Holden
Took my Black Diamond Portaledge for it's first all-night run in a tree last night. Hardly slept at all. Some of it was noise (urban environment), but much was also discomfort from sleeping in my saddle (NT Tengu, the least bulky of the ones I have).

For you seasoned tree campers:

Do you always sleep in a harness?

I'm not sure how much redundancy to build into my sleeping platform. The \"tent\" is a single anchor, but it was web-slinged hitched to two separate large branches (photos below). Is it really necessary to also harness myself in? The Portaledge is like a tent and the fly (cover) is so tightly sealed (wraps underneath) you couldn't roll out if you tried. You have to unzip the strong doors to get out. Being a single anchor (high above) it's not going to roll (but it does sway like crazy, even with some anchoring).

I tend to always play it as safe as possible, but I wonder if at some point it's just irrational, especially if it interferes so much with sleep.

Also, on the sleeping question. If you do anchor in, shouldn't you use a screamer or dynamic line? Unless you have a tight connection, you're going to have 2-3 feet it seems of fall before a very strong jerk at the end. Do you run the rope out the middle of your sleeping bag, or slack it up by the top of the bag?

I'm interested in any tips or advice from people who do this a lot. I have a tree boat as well but have only slept at low altitudes on that, so I haven't needed a tie-in.

Thanks!

(on the anchor picture, the pulley/rope is just to raise and lower the portaledge, it's not bearing any weight)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Holden
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
14 years 10 months ago #133822 by Holden
Replied by Holden on topic Re:Tree camping, sleep in harness?
Pictures of the portaledge and the anchor
[url]
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6303/solstice0901s.jpg[/url]

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3935/solstice0903s.jpg

More
14 years 10 months ago #133823 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Tree camping, sleep in harness?
Hmmm... is a fall arrest full-body harness any more comfortable?

More
14 years 10 months ago #133825 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Tree camping, sleep in harness?
Maybe you could take a rock climbing harness with you for overnight stays (the harness equivalent to pyjamas?)

Michael

• Holden
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
14 years 10 months ago #133826 by Holden
The rock climbing harness is a good suggestion. I do have one and it's very light and non-bulky, EXCEPT it has hard plastic biner loops coming out from 4 sides. I thought about clipping them off, but it would basically make that harness not work for anything but sleeping.

More
14 years 10 months ago #133830 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Re:Tree camping, sleep in harness?
When I'm feeling particularly princess like (remember the Princess and the Pea?) I wear a really basic ABC climb harness, which has no gear loops at all under my ness saddle. Once in the tree I change out of one harness into another, always staying tied in (this is not optional, it's imperative) and promptly fall asleep.

As far as coming off your climb line, and only staying on a lanyard, I'd advise against it. One at least one occassion I was awoken by my bladder; and it was an emergency situation, bailing was required to prevent flooding my hammock. Consider that you'll be operating in the dark most likely, you really want to be on your line. One thing you should do though is haul up all your line and tie it off. The weight of the line hanging can feel like it's pulling you out of the bed, which has kept me up in the past.

Are you using a sleeping pad? It makes a huge difference too, since I began using one I've been sleeping in my ness saddle, gear loops and everything.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
14 years 10 months ago #133831 by icabod
Davej wrote:

Hmmm... is a fall arrest full-body harness any more comfortable?

No way, dorsal loop would be a major ouch.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
14 years 10 months ago #133832 by icabod
Wow, that's a lot of rigging. I guess you are hauling it up assembled. I don't guess you'll be camping in the wild like that very often?

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #133835 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Tree camping, sleep in harness?
If I'm going to climb up to go to sleep I'll wear an NT Basic harness, it's comfortable to sleep in.

If I'm on an expedition style climb and am spending a long time the tree before or after bedtime I wear my NT Tengu, just take all the stuff off the harness, biners etc.

If I can rig a rope that will reach the ground I like to sleep with an SRT connection, put a Grigri on the rope and lock it off using the tail of the rope tied above the Grigri. To go to bed I climb up with a Yoyo system, it's great to climb with bare feet.

The slack problem: I like to have some slack so I can rollover during the night. The way I look at it, it's highly unlikely that I'm going to fall out of the treeboat. If it happened I'd rather get a 2 foot drop and jolt than fall to the ground.

I agree with Icabod, stay tied in even if you're on a portaledge. There are many possible reasons that you might have to make a quick escape during the night (lightning, high winds etc.) Obviously there's the safety factor in case you \"sleepwalk\" but based on experience I believe it's a very low probability. I've never heard a report about a technical tree climber falling out of a portaledge or NT treeboat, tethered or untethered.
-moss
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by moss.

More
14 years 10 months ago #133838 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Re:Tree camping, sleep in harness?
Get a skinny rock climbing harness and wear it under your Ness Saddle. That way you won't have to face safety embarrassment with moments of off-rope clippings. You just slip out of the ascending saddle and relax in a less bulky safety harness. Staying tied in with a retreat rope is good practice- especially if your area experiences lightning storms.

Oh yes. Practice peeing into a bottle with saddle on. It is a most useful skill best practiced low : not so near rooftops and high use areas.

So tell us about the Black Diamond Portaledge. Is it really easy to setup while aloft (a marketing point I hear) or is it a bit of a hassle- like with my A-5 double. Maybe you can convince me to stop lusting after this purchase and prolong my marriage possibilities.

Sound sleep aloft never is as deep as normal sleeping habit routines. My hearing is amplified while sleeping aloft. Having a fetish for sound identification makes sleep even more illusive for me personally. My wife wants me to quit trying to call in owls to my treetop. She says it is bad birding form much akin to \"bird harassment\". Heck- I just want to talk to a local while stretched out in the wee hours.

Let us know how you are cocking along.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• Holden
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
14 years 10 months ago #133839 by Holden
Great tips, thanks everyone. I will definitely be incorporating your advice into my next outing. I stayed tied in all night with a Petzl I'D, but it was a lot of clunking whenever I rolled over.

The portaledge packs in at about 25 lbs without the fly, which is probably another 5 lbs. It's nothing I'd want to lug too far away from the car.

Set up has been a little tough with just one person, but doable. I set it up on the ground and hauled it aloft on a pulley, but given enough space it could be done aloft, especially if there were two people.

There were a couple idiosyncrasies with the portaloft compared to the tree boat. Since it's hanging on a single point about 6 feet off the floor, and you're the heaviest thing in it, you don't so much move around in it, but rather you move it around you. It's a weird sensation. On the edges, if you don't have it really secured down on the corners, it'll tilt up as your weight moves to the edge. I had it gently tethered to the tree, but it swayed all night whenever I moved. The next day I had that feeling you get when you've been on a boat all day, that things were gently rolling on the ground.

Anyway, the double portaledge and fly is a large expense, but it looks like it'll last a long time. The fly is airtight and well designed, and could be used as it's designed in a snowstorm or hard rain. I will probably not be taking it way up into a tree too often, but it makes a great tent any place you have trees. All you need is an anchor point 6+ feet off the ground and you have a double-sized tent no matter what condition the ground is in. I plan to use it to just camp as well for the next tree stay.

More
14 years 10 months ago #133845 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Re:Tree camping, sleep in harness?
On second thought, you can tether yourself to a short leash with your escape rope nearby. Sewn webbing lies flat if you roll over on it.

Here's a thought. I once trained for tree sitting using the Portaledge in my back yard. I set a false anchor up in a tree (rope, figure 8 on bight, and micro pulley) and raised the anchor with rope running through pulley to hoist the Portaledge. Every night I would make up my bed real neat, hoist it aloft, tie it off, and then climb up to a made up bed. I did this this every night for a few weeks to acclimate myself for the impending action. If it was going to storm, I'd put up the fly. Great training! The tree sit went off splendid too. I camped out in the Georgia state co-champion white oak tree and the court said the school district was making unlawful use of the land.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
14 years 9 months ago #133855 by icabod
treeman wrote:

My wife wants me to quit trying to call in owls to my treetop.

Peter, if I didn't know Patty so well I'd say that was just a wife trying to prevent you having a \"Hoot\".

There I go causing trouble again!:) You should thank her actually, after getting a extreme closeup of those talons on the baby I rescued, I've stoped trying to call them in!

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
14 years 9 months ago #133884 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Re:Tree camping, sleep in harness?
My preference is to use a PL for tree camping because I can NOT sleep in a TB without getting a tweaked back...ouch!

My PL has a single tie in loop and I don't back up the connection. I do tie off the corners so that I don't rotate around. That makes me tree-sick...urrrpppp...

For sleeping I use a system like others. Before ascending I put on my mountaineering harness. the backpad is a bit wider and the leg loops are 2\" webbing so it's OK to sit in as opposed to a rock climbing harness. Then, I put my regular tree climbing harness over the top for ascending/climbing/setting up camp.

Somewhere nearby I'll choke a long webbing loop to a bombproof anchor. Then I girth hitch a biner to this loop. Another webbing loop is attached to the front of my mountaineering harness. Then I shed my tree harness. Since I SRT my descent system is right at hand. Be sure to tie a stopper knot or lock off to whatever descent system you use. This will force you to be awake before you descend. The rope makes as straight a route to the ground and doesn't go over or around limbs if possible.

All of the webbing loops are taped or sewn shut so that they aren't any loops to hang myself in.

The webbing loop comes up out of my sleeping bag and clips to the biner.

My headlamp is hung from a cord at the top of the PL apex. In case of a quick exit I can get into the descender and to the ground quite quickly.

So far...knock on wood...the only reason to get up at night is to pee. If my camp is perfect I've setup over a limb that I can step out onto, like a porch. Using a pee bottle inside a sleeping bag is something that I tried years ago when I was winter camping at sub zero weather. A tiny dribble on the bag made a foul odor until I was able to wash it...try that in sub zero weather. Now, everything goes on outside the bag and over the edge of the ledge.

When I tree camp I don't sleep real sound. It seems like I wake up every hour or so to enjoy the moon arcing across the sky or the new sounds. Even so, I sleep very well and I'm rested in the morning.

Call the owls, Peter, if you are good enough to bring them in it's a complement to you. Plus, how do we know, it will probably lead to some funny stories for the owls to retell to their...uh, pride, gaggle, murder...what is a 'flock' of owls???

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #133970 by patty
Replied by patty on topic baby owls
We had to re-nest a baby barred owl about 4 months ago. Before I examined it, having had no experience at examining an owlet, I checked in with our local rehabber expert. I asked him if I should wear leather gloves. He said "Nah, at a week old, that owl doesn't even know it has feet."

A week later, we had to re-nest that fabulous little chickster again. So I called my local rehabber guy again about the talons. This time he said again-- no go on the leather gloves. "The owlet doesn't know what its feet are for yet."

Meanwhile, I do say, folks: leave the owl calling to the owls in the spring. They're communicating with mates, and the likes of one of you guys or women in a treeboat or portaledge don't look nuttin' like a mate. It just confuses the heck out of 'em. How would you like it if a contender for your sweetie asked him or her out while you were preparing to pop the question and set up housekeeping?

psj
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by patty.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds