Invention for retrieving throwbag from distance

• elliotburch
  • elliotburch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 7 months ago #132295 by elliotburch
Replied by elliotburch on topic Re:Invention for Distance Throwbag Retreever (DTBR
Hey,

Glad folks find the device (whatever you call it) helpful.

The wire I used is much, much lighter weight than coat hanger wire. And if you can see from the video, the wire protrudes from the lower end of a dowel that operates the \"locking cam\". In this fashion, the device hangs on the throwline and doesn't tend to flip. I also wanted to make it as light weight as possible so the 14 oz throwbag would have enough counter mass to pull it across the \"gap\".

When I deploy the BLC (I call it the Burch line grabber!) I size up the diameter and general placement of the limb that it is headed to and re-bend/adjust the wire \"to fit\". Sometimes, I send the BLG across the gap and its not quite right so I quickly pull it back to me and make the necessary change... In this way one can send the BLG on its way even if the limb is higher or lower than the climber. The device doesn't \"care\" where its going. Just bend the wire correctly to \"snag\" the down side of the line....

My wire is only about 12\" long so I can't work it on a limb bigger in diameter than about 8\". It would be neat to have a wire that protrudes outward, which is somehow adjustable in its length. I'll work on that design next! My energy at the moment is perfecting the use of a wrist-rocket sling shot with a Zebco fishing reel duct-taped to the handle so I can shoot monofilament and a small weight to get where I want to go...

Cheers,

EB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds