Invention for retrieving throwbag from distance

• elliotburch
  • elliotburch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 8 months ago #132018 by elliotburch
I want to share a solution I invented for retrieving a throwbag from a great distance (say when going from one tree to the next). It is a rather simple device made of wood with a bit of wire that can easily be carried aloft with other common gear. You can learn all about this invention from a movie I posted to YouTube.

Enjoy!

Elliot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #132023 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Invention for retrieving throwbag from distance
I like it! It does the same as a grapnel but in a more controlled way - less chance of getting tangled up. I myself invented a new type of grapnel with arms twisted to the sides in a spiral to make it more effective at catching a dangling line. New Tribe are producing the first ones right now!

I think more people should find new ways to solve problems rather than just shopping for what's already available. We all have to potential to be inventors B)

Michael

More
15 years 7 months ago #132217 by pabllo
Hi
Thanks a lot for your ideas and videos. I really enjoyed them.
By the way, I have a simple image(not yet tested)of retrieving a throwbag.
If you reave me any comment or message on my illustrated method, many thanks will follow.
:lol:

http://pabllo.cocolog-nifty.com/kobikiya/2008/10/post-5cc4.html

More
15 years 7 months ago #132237 by Tom Dunlap
That looks like a clever solution!

What language is the webpage written in?

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #132238 by moss
That's a viable technique Pabllo. If you substitute a Grapnel for the second throw bag or hang a grapnel off the throwbag it will be much easier to snag the line.

My method is to throw the bag over the destination branch, let it go down enough so that there is enough line to make it back to where I am. Girth hitch a Grapnel (what New Tribe sells or one you make) to the same throwline. The throw bag needs to be slightly heavier than the Grapnel depending on bark texture. I use an 8 oz (for smooth bark) or 10 oz bag. Back to the Grapnel, it's girthed to the throwline midline. Let out additional throwline, the Grapnel moves towards the target branch. If the bag won't pull down enough to move the Grapnel just bounce the Grapnel gently upward, that will take weight off the line, the bag will drop and the Grapnel will move forward. Allow the Grapnel to hang down below the target branch, swing it gently to snag the target line which is over the other side of the branch. When you snag the line pull the Grapnel back. Now you'll see why you need to let the bag drop far enough below the branch, if there is not enough line out the bag won't make it all the way back to you. That's it.

I've used this technique when there obstructing branches in the path of the traverse, the Grapnel can be moved over obstructions as you send it towards the target. I've used it to blind grab the line on the other side of a tree trunk. Works great. I no longer keep my Grapnel on its own tether line, it's always added to the throwline as described above. You're only limited by how far you can throw horizontally and how much throwline you carry on your harness. I use 2mm ZingIt, if you use heavier throwline you'll need to use more throw weight and perhaps add weight to the Grapnel.
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by moss.

More
15 years 7 months ago #132251 by pabllo
Hi Tom.
Thanks for your interest on my post.
The language of my WebPage is written in Japanese, though not in polite manner :-)

More
15 years 7 months ago #132252 by pabllo
Thank you moss.
I also use 2mm Zingit line but not have used Grapnel ever. As your words seems rich in suggestion, I would like to trace back your methods at the tree top branches.
Many thanks to you.

• elliotburch
  • elliotburch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 7 months ago #132253 by elliotburch
Replied by elliotburch on topic Re:Invention for retrieving throwbag from distance
Hi Moss,

I was glad to read your post regarding the grapnel and retrieving the throwbag. As you know, that is similar to how my Burch Line Grabber works. Both operate in conditions in which limbs, leaves, and obstructions make it impossible to throw a device at the descending throw bag. Both use the mass of the throwbag to pull the device across the \"gap\". Both snare the downward throwbag line by snagging it underneath the limb in question. So I am pleased to see that there is more than one way to \"skin a cat\"! The main difference between our devices is that mine clamps on to the slickline via a release-able \"cam\" and mine has its own tag line that extends back to the climber. In this manner I never have to worry if I have \"let out enough line\" on the throwbag in order to retrieve the throwbag. For in my system, as I pull on the tag line to retrieve the throwbag line, I can add length to the throwbag line merely by giving it more slack.

But all in all your system is simple and seems effective. Nice to see creative minds solving puzzles in different ways!

Q: Do you have any tricks to share when trying to \"hit\" an anchor point that is say 20' straight overhead? I often encounter this while climbing. I am up there, hanging from the harness, and their is too much brush in the way to ever contemplate any kind of regular throwbag toss. I am currently experimenting with a \"Wrist-Rocket\" sling shot that has an old Zebco fishing reel (with monofilament) mounted to the handle of the sling shot. Of course when you miss the target the very thin line has the potential to get hopelessly tangled!

EB

More
15 years 7 months ago #132255 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Vertical Pilot Line Placement
Vertical Pilot Line Placement

Every regular climber places their pilot line higher in the tree in all sorts of ways. There usually is brush in the way; a limb blocking the view; a twist in the harness and an uncomfortable angle to hand toss. Some use a coil of rope to toss; some toss the rope with a throwbag attached and then some toss a throwbag with a pilot line attached. Line retrieval and management while aloft is so much more difficult than on the ground.

But higher vistas demand to advance your rope.

In an attempt to describe a technique that I find useful requires the mandatory disclaimer to hold me harmless in case of injury or death so use caution and use your head and if you get a little boo-boo or a coffin ride it is your fault.
Now back to our regular program.

Ballistic latex tubing is fun for many things. Attach a weight to it and you have a real good blackjack. I suggest wrapping one around the waist secured with a little Velcro. When on your jog you encounter Goliath- a quick tug, swing and hit; home run for the team and you get a Knock Out.

Use your lightest weight bag or make on with a length of 1” tubular webbing filled with lead shot; pellet gun pellets or B-B’s. Attach the weight of your choice to 12” of latex tubing and you can launch the whole thing. Be sure to also attach a pilot line to the latex tubing and to your harness so you don’t shoot the whole thing aloft right thru the most prefect fork and watch it fall to the ground because you forgot to secure the bitter end.

Been there.

I set up a lawn chair on the ground below a nice spreading oak and after about a 100 shoots where I had to go play fetch I got to a point that 3 out of 10 times I could get thru the fork of my choice with both ends in my hands and isolated so I could pull a rope up higher.

So the three most important words in pilot line placement are:
Practice, Practice and Practice.

See you at the top,
Dan

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #132257 by Trebuchet
Ah! Simple elegance. I will definitely have to try the clove-and-bight pull/release knot method that I believe you are describing. It seems it would depend on careful estimating of distance away from the heavy bag where you would tie the lighter bag. Very nice diagram. I zoomed in and could easily review the design. Nice, pabllo.

I like it! :cheer:
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by Trebuchet.

More
15 years 7 months ago #132258 by Tom Dunlap
It's 10:30 pm and dark outside so I can't try this idea out in a tree...but...here goes...

In the posting it looked like a bite was made in the throwline and a releasable hitch is then wrapped around the bite with the second throw weight attached.

Here's what just came to me...

Make the bight then tie a slip knot around the bite. The release or slipped end would comeback to the climber. By using a slipknot/slipped half hitch in the same manner as the safety/stopper knots in climber's down ropes the hitch can be released by pulling on the end of the throwline. With a little experimentation it would be easy to tell how tightly to set the half hitch to allow some tugging for positioning but not to release the retrievable weight.

I'm climbing in the morning so I'll check this out and make a report later.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
15 years 7 months ago #132283 by nickfromwi
I am 1:30 into the vid where you are just showing the device. I must say, HOLY CRAP!!! You have piqued my interest greatly. I've gotta see how this pans out...

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
15 years 7 months ago #132284 by nickfromwi
So 3:00 in, I'm thinking you need to climb up higher so that the wooden contraption will slide down the throwline.

Using the weight of the throwline to pull the retriever over...GENIUS!!!

I'll go keep watching now...

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #132285 by nickfromwi
Mr Burch- I must say- great idea. Initially when you were showing the grabber, I thought, \"blech...way too bulky.\" But it's value in the tree seems immense.

Thank you for sharing the concept of using the throw weight to pull the grabber over. It has seemed to spark good conversation. I'm going post haste to the work room to practice this, then off to the trees to try it aloft! I have a traverse I've been trying to do in a couple live oaks. It's about 35' away. A moderately easy throw with the throwbag, but near impossible to grab with a grappel.

I'm interested to see what form my technique develops to.

Great work on the grabber, and great work on the vid. Thanks for the clear explanations!!!

love
nick

Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by nickfromwi.

More
15 years 7 months ago #132288 by oldtimer
I finally built one (DTBR) at home and gave it a trial test. I need to work out the balance of the unit so it stays more horizontal during deployment along the throw line because the coat hanger wire I used on mine is rather heavy and pulls it down to much.

The basic concept is great but hooking up the target line hanging down takes some more practice that I have done so far. I will post pictures later.
I like that I was able to put one together in about 30 minutes using only scrap materials and tools from my garage. Very simple but ingenious design. I'll give it one more chance after I change the wire puller for a lighter one.
It should work as shown in the video for sure. :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds