My Gear is on the Way

• treebird
  • treebird's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129900 by treebird
My Gear is on the Way was created by treebird
Just wanted to say thanks to all who helped with gear suggestions. I placed my orders today from Sherrill and New Tribe. I can't wait untill it starts arriving. I've been practicing knots and watch the Tree Climbing Basics DVD. Next week I am going to start scouting some trees. Hopefully the gear arrives soon and I didn't forget anything!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• aussietreeclimber
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129908 by aussietreeclimber
Replied by aussietreeclimber on topic My Gear is on the Way
Hey TreeBird

So what was the list of equipment that you ended up ordering? I for one am always interested to find out whats in other peoples gear bags. You never know who has a nice little 'toy' which soon becomes an envy of yours.

Matt

• treebird
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129911 by treebird
Replied by treebird on topic The final list

Originally posted by aussietreeclimber
Hey TreeBird

So what was the list of equipment that you ended up ordering? I for one am always interested to find out whats in other peoples gear bags. You never know who has a nice little 'toy' which soon becomes an envy of yours.

Matt

So I bought what I thought I need to get started but went for upgrades I thought would be easier to build on later. S and NT indicate which store, Sherrill or New Tribe.

1 NT Tengu Saddle NT
150 ft Poison Ivy climb rope S
1 Petzl Vertex Vent Helmet S
2 Petzl Tri-act Amd Biners NT
2 Updated Dan House Sleves NT
300ft Blackline NT
1 12oz throwbag S
1 14oz throwbag S
1 Linemug NT
1 Medium Rope Bag NT
2 pair safety glasses (shades and reg) S
1 pair Atlas perfect grip gloves s

Total Tree Climbing introductory cost about $630 assuming I didn't forget anything and not including the books, DVDs, and memberships I've already bought. It is cool that my TCI membership already paid for itself with that 10% of at Sherrill.

• aussietreeclimber
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129919 by aussietreeclimber
Replied by aussietreeclimber on topic My Gear is on the Way
Well it seams like your well on your way to some great adventures. A well rounded gear kit.
One question, do you have a decending device? (figure 8, Stop, ect) or are you intending to decend on the climbing knot?

Matt

• treebird
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129924 by treebird
Replied by treebird on topic My Gear is on the Way
No descending device. I went for just the basics so yeah I'm going to be pure friction hitch double rope right now. Can you use fig-8s and such with drt? I thought that was only for SRT?

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129925 by link774
Replied by link774 on topic My Gear is on the Way
Some folks like to use a figure 8 on the downrope under thier friction hitch just as a backup and to make the ride a bit more smooth. Plus, if you take most of the friction with the 8, you can keep the temperature of the blake's down to reduce the chance of glazing. The combination is nice because it allows you to lock-off the descent by engaging the friction hitch.

Also, you can descend a static single or static doubled rope with an 8. Just make sure both ends of the rope get to the ground with the latter!

- Link

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129926 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic No Figure 8 Here
I donated my Figure 8 since I not longer like the rope to get twisted by it.
The Grigri and the standard Split tails do a better job for me for descending. (for both DRT and SRT)

If I want extra security or to slow down even more I use a Munter Hitch on a regular carabineer tied to the side "D" loop.
I am just using the gear I already carry with me into the tree. And finally I dropped the figure 8 once while installing it and had to figure out alternatives to get down anyway so I figure out I do not need it anymore.
Others will not climb a tree without one that is just their personal preferences.
Good luck treebird.

• treebird
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129938 by treebird
Interesting. Some stuff to try after I get the basics down. I am also really interested in the double split tail, that setup looked like it simplified things alots.

• treebird
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129984 by treebird
Wow, thats freaky. Makes me feel better about my choices...you know what they say. I'm still waiting on my NT order to come in, I can't wait to try out the gear! You like yours? Anything you would have done differently?

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #130065 by jerseygirl
Replied by jerseygirl on topic My Gear is on the Way
SO how did you feel when you got that box and opened it - like a kid at christmas?

i know I did

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #130069 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic First Impressions
When I got my gear I read the little book from Dick Flowers a few times before I took the gear out to the tree. Made the first throws and set up just like shown in the book. I got ready to go up and I managed to go about 4 inches from the grown. I looked like a dork sitting on the grown tied to all that gear. That is the problem with learning by yourself.
I took everything down and went back to the books and searched what the missing link was. That was almost 5 years ago and after quite a few years of climbing I am still having fun playing with ropes in the trees. Permanently hooked, gear head!! hehehehe

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #130072 by jerseygirl
Replied by jerseygirl on topic My Gear is on the Way
I am happy to say that I have had TWO great instructers that have taken me to new heights - in life and in the trees. I would suggest to any new climber and I am one of them - to take a class - the books will only tell you so much. picking a persons brains and watching them as they climb is worth so much more. I ordered my harness and i am practing my pitches for the day it all arrives and the day i can setup that rope and get into My tree

More
14 years 10 months ago #133857 by TreeBird2
Replied by TreeBird2 on topic Gear for sale!!!!
TreeBird wrote:

Originally posted by aussietreeclimber
Hey TreeBird

Matt

So I bought what I thought I need to get started but went for upgrades I thought would be easier to build on later. S and NT indicate which store, Sherrill or New Tribe.

1 NT Tengu Saddle NT
150 ft Poison Ivy climb rope S
1 Petzl Vertex Vent Helmet S
2 Petzl Tri-act Amd Biners NT
2 Updated Dan House Sleves NT
300ft Blackline NT
1 12oz throwbag S
1 14oz throwbag S
1 Linemug NT
1 Medium Rope Bag NT
2 pair safety glasses (shades and reg) S
1 pair Atlas perfect grip gloves s

Total Tree Climbing introductory cost about $630 assuming I didn't forget anything and not including the books, DVDs, and memberships I've already bought. It is cool that my TCI membership already paid for itself with that 10% of at Sherrill.

Hey guys,
A while a go I wanted to get into tree climbing, I purchase a lot of gear, pretty much all I needed to start drt and never did. My gear hasn't been used at all, and now I realize its time to get it to someone who will actually use it. Below is a partial list I also have a few books to add to the pot. Please e-mail me if you might be interested. I would love to sell it all as a package maybe for someone getting into the sport, or for a spare set for someone who likes to take friends. I would also consider selling items separately. Also need to know if a rope stored that long is still safe so I can take that out of the pot if need be.

Thanks,
Lisa
(I used to be TreeBird but my account was shut off for inactivity.)

More
14 years 10 months ago #133862 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Gear for sale!!!!
TreeBird2 wrote:
....Also need to know if a rope stored that long is still safe so I can take that out of the pot if need be.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear that climbing didn't work out for you.

The rope should be fine assuming it wasn't sitting in the sun for two years. If it was stored in normal temperatures and wasn't exposed to contaminants like oil, gasoline etc. it's quite as good as new.

What size is the Tengu harness?
-moss

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #133864 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Gear for sale!!!!
Well I am also considering some of my extra gear specially two New Tribe Saddles that I bough on Sale and varely use them. If anyone is intersted in gettiing soem fairly new gear at a reduce price contact me and we work soemthing out.
NEW Tribe Saddle (Tengu) XL
NEW Tribe Saddle (Small)
I think this is the Large Saddle
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by oldtimer.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds