Favorite static line for SRT canopy access?

More
18 years 1 week ago - 18 years 1 week ago #127346 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Favorite static line for SRT canopy access?
I've never climbed on PMI or Sterling line so take this for...well, you decide the value.

When I have handled the ropes at trade shows they both seem to be much stiffer than KMIII. In use this isn't going to be an issue. When stiffness comes into play is when you try to put that rope into a bag. Each rope has a natural coil dimension. Supple ropes will pile nicely in small, conical heaps. Stiff ropes will appear to be filled with springs that keep the coils large.

Another reason that many arbos don't use those ropes is that the companies don't have a presence in the arbo market place. This is a marketing decision, or non-decision if they're unaware of the potential sales.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 1 week ago - 18 years 1 week ago #127348 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Favorite static line for SRT canopy access?
Thanks guys. Good points.
Just before getting into tree climbing, I had experienced these ropes in caving and they were very tough and abrasive resistant, but also somewhat stiff like Tom said. So you would think in use then they would be great for SRT in trees because of their abrasive resistance, their higher tensile strength and low stretch. The only negative I could see at first was the stiffness, however, when I was cosidering my first arbo rope, I shared this on the Buzz and a fella named Nick, if I remember correctly, had also mentioned that these were true static kernmantles and not arbo ropes and so would not hold up as well under abrasion and that the sheath of a kernmantle was not supporting the load whereas arbo ropes did.
Do you guys find these comments to be correct about these two ropes and are these negative qualities about kernmantles correct?
Thanks.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 1 week ago - 18 years 1 week ago #127350 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Favorite static line for SRT canopy access?
Charlie,

Cave work is much more abrasive to ropes than tree work. Ask a caver how often they wash their ropes. then ask a tree climber. Some tree climbers have never washed a rope in their, the climber not the rope's, lifetime.

Another plus for a supple rope is how it can be whipped and jiggled in the tree. A supple rope can have a ripple or wave put into it to get the rope to jump around in the tree. A stiffer rope has to be 'pushed'

There's nothing wrong with using a stiffer rope, just personal preference. Rope choice isn't always about strength and stretch. there are other subtleties too. Being color coordinated is SO important you know. :D

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds