Favorite static line for SRT canopy access?

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127325 by moss
If you were going buy 200 ft. of a narrow diameter (10.5 mm or so) static line for SRT only, what brand/type of rope would you go with? I'm aware that Fly and Poison Ivy can be used for SRT. I'm more interested in a dedicated static line for SRT as opposed to a multi-purpose line like Fly. Any recommendations?
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127326 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Favorite static line for SRT canopy access?
I'd go with a caving line...Blue Water II, KM III, something along those lines. (pun intended)

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127327 by moss
Thanks Nick, I 've been looking at the Bluewater II+ 10.5mm, I think that's going to be it.

Another possibility is the 9.5mm New England Ropes Spider line that New Tribe carries which has an impressive 6500 lb tensile rating. It would be a challenge for me to get used to climbing on such skinny stuff despite its rating.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127328 by nickfromwi
My response to your first post WAS going to be, "10.5mm, skinny?"

But I changed it.

Go for the 9mm. Less weight to haul around and you can fit a TON more rope into the same sized rope bag.

You'll get used to the skinnyness.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127329 by moss

Originally posted by NickfromWI
My response to your first post WAS going to be, "10.5mm, skinny?"

But I changed it.

:-) don't hold back, that's what
I need to hear.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127330 by elliotsu
Replied by elliotsu on topic Spider line, DOOD
Moss,I been use the Spider line with Tengu on last Rendezvous in Oregon New Tribe. that is a very good line for SRT.no bounce at all since we set up the line up to 90 feet high.
the line we use was an orange color,It makes the line very shiny in forest.Tengu told me that New Tribe maybe made some special order in the future.
Let's ask New Tribe.
Regard

Elliot Su / Tree Climbing Taiwan

Elliot

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127331 by moss
Thanks for the comment Elliot (DOOD!) :-)

I used to think that I wanted all my gear to blend into the woods but now I really like certain things to be high visibility. Especially rope that you're looking at 90 ft. up. Orange Spider line would be very good. If New Tribe is listening it would be good to know if it's available. I'll try asking them if they don't respond here.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127332 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Favorite static line for SRT canopy access?
The Orange Static rope is a KMIII, the one that was used at the Rendezvous was 12.7mm (1/2inch) that is designed for rescue. They also make a 9.5mm for personal use in a varity of colors. heres a link to it and one of my favorite websites.
Enjoy.

http://www.ahsrescue.com/pc-434-88-cmc-nfpa-new-england-km-iii-static-kernantle-rescue-rope-light-use.aspx

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127336 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Favorite static line for SRT canopy access?
7/16" KMIII is really popular. I've used it for years and haven't found a better SRT rope.

It comes in black, white or orange

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127337 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Static KMIII
I have 150 ft of KMIII and it works great for SRT climbs. It would be nicer if I could get someone (Nick) to put a spliced loop at the end. ( Not Sure if this rope can be spliced thou).

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127338 by nickfromwi
Splicing that rope is not recommended by the manufacturer.

I have spliced reeving lines in static lines, but I won't go beyond that.

love
nick

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127341 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Favorite static line for SRT canopy access?
Anyone consider the PMI ropes or the Sterling? These are considered some of the most premier ropes on the market for SRT in the caving arena. Sterling is a little pricy, is about 11mm, and has such little stretch that not only is it used for rescue, but has been called "wicked" by rock climbers because it has so little stretch(about < 3%) and of course is on the opposite end of the spectrum for them(opposite of dynamic or stretchy lines) and is even considered deadly for their purpose.
But that also means for us SRT'ers they should be great, right? Cavers certainly do savor them.
Then I wonder why we arborists don't consider these ropes more seriously.
Any comments.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127342 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic KMIII Rope Advise
Thanks Nick, I had checked into this before and you are correct there is not way to put a loop on it but I do not have loops on my other ropes anyways so it is not a big deal. I tie a knot or use a knot and a carabineer to tie it down to the tree for the SRT climbs. The rope has become more supple and easier to use now after a few climbs. It was very stiff when I got it from a friend in its original manufacturer package. It is the Black color and it also comes in White w/ blue stripes. It is light weight according to the New Tribe Catalog.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127343 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Favorite static line for SRT canopy access?

Originally posted by charlieb
Then I wonder why we arborists don't consider these ropes more seriously.
Any comments.

For at least eight, maybe more, years I've been using KMIII as my ONLY access line for SRT. When I use it for a working line I am VERY careful not to put myself into a position to take a fall. Since it has little stretch the load would go to this bag of salt water and minerals that I claim as a body. Too fragile to take a slam-dunk :)

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127345 by moss
I think charlieB was asking why don't more SRT tree climbers consider using Sterling or PMI static ropes as opposed to the popular NE Ropes KMIII. I think the answer is that they do.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds