Backed-up free climbing

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126838 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic Backed-up free climbing
The painful part is coming down. You use the tree like a firemans pole and just slide down and when your shirt comes up and you don't pull it down you have some beauty marks to show off.

Climb high,
climb safe.

See you at the top.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126930 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic Backed-up free climbing
Would it be safe to say that if I had two lanyards on my saddle or fall arrest harness and could tie off to any branches safely in reach and of size that is good, would be safe way to "free solo" any tree?

slingshot

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126932 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Backed-up free climbing
Yep, that would work. the idea being that you're always tied in with one lanyard while you're moving the other to a new branch.
-moss

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128166 by ajakz12
Replied by ajakz12 on topic Assisted Free Climb
Since I was about 9, I have use my "tree hook" technique for getting a "leg up". 30 feet of rope, tied in the center of a 1.5 foot hard wood stick, about 2.5 inches thick. I toss it up into crotches, the high ones it's used SRT, (hand over hand), shorter but still to high to grab, let the stick come down, sit on the stick and pull your self up (not like pulley, kind of like a vertical scoot, while taking in the slack)
Now since I'm older (more breakable) and getting back into climbing, I'm revising my skills of youth. With ascenders and a harness, foam covered steel pipe (bike handlebars) reinforce with stiched webbing for a good tie off point. Admitedly it's not as fool proof safe as a DRT, (the old up and over), but set right it wont come down untill all weight is off the line and then you still have to shake the bejeezus out of it to bring the "hook" down.
Being paded it wont hurt the trees easily, and using two, give me a chance to place multiple pitches in fast order. Like I said I've done this for years, first over the wooded marshes of Southern Florida (tree to tree), then in the BIG trees of Northern California. Now i'm working on "two hook" techniques, It takes practice to set and clean, but you can toss one in to, one tree, set the other in your first tree and slide across nice and slow, with a figure eight on the back line and ascenders on the lead line. Unlike using one and "tarzaning" tree to tree, Like when I was young and stupid and had that as a good aliby.

The only person you have to be better than, is yourself from yesterday.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds