climbing a tree with no lowerlimbs

• docteric
  • docteric's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124998 by docteric
climbing a tree with no lowerlimbs was created by docteric
Thanks to the advice I got from a bunch of folks about using a throwline, I'm now pretty good up to about 30 feet from the ground and 15 or 20 from in the tree.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience climbing the tree without throwing a line over a limb. For example, I'm thinking of trying (yes, I plan to do it low and slow) to use the trunk like I would the rope on an SRT ascent. Probably use a girth hitch tied into my harness on top and another as a foot loop. The plan is to go up the trunk just like a rope. Advance the upper hitch, then sit and bring up the lower hitch. Stand and advance the upper, sit and advance the lower.

Kind of similar to how hunters use a climbing tree stand. Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #125005 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic climbing a tree with no lowerlimbs
That system will work but it is a lot of work. YOu'll be exhausted when you get to the limbs.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #125016 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic uh-huh
Then consider the damage that you are doing to the tree. You will inevetibly (I don't think I spelled that right) remove alot of bark, inviting infection.

I'd say stick with the basics. If you can use a throwline work with that.

By the way, I used a throwline for years that was only 60' long (don't ask). I managed to climb several LARGE trees by making entry shots into neighboring trees and transfering over from the lower tree. This is a whole lot of fun too, you've climbed two trees at once!

Climb Safe! Be kind to your trees.
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• docteric
  • docteric's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #125060 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic climbing a tree with no lowerlimbs
Tom, you were right. I tried it this weekend. 'got about 10 feet up (took 10 minutes) and climbed back down. Way too slow, way too much involved. Interestingly, it wasn't very physically taxing, but it sure took forever. Part of it was I took Icabod's advice and was very careful to not scrape up the tree. More tree friendly, more me unfriendly.

Oh well, I had to try what my wife calls my EGI's (Eric's Great Idea).;)

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds