• rocknroll
  • rocknroll's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124693 by rocknroll
Tactical 8 rappel was created by rocknroll
Here is a way to use an 8 plate to rappel and make easier stopping and starting.

When setting up the rappel attach the 8 to the rope as usual. Please know how to use the 8 and always be tied into the tree until you are ready to move.
Then with a prussik loop about 72 inches long, use a basket hitch through the small hole on the 8 and to your harness with biner.

Now with a smaller prussik loop about 50 inches, attach it to the rope BELOW the 8, three wraps prussik. Attach this to your harness with a biner. Start your rappel, the smaller prussik will be your lock onto the rope. Just get the prussik to slide down. When you want to stop just lock the prussik onto the rope.

With the prussik BELOW the 8 you really don't need to take the weight off your rope to get the prussik sliding down again. The 8 then provides friction to help control speed.

Low and slow. Let me know how you like it.

Psithurism - the sound of the wind rustling the leaves.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rocknroll
  • rocknroll's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124746 by rocknroll
Replied by rocknroll on topic 72 inches before tying
I thought about the six foot thing. Yup I ment to say on both of the prussik lenghts that was the length to cut the cords and make triple (double if you like)fishermans knots. I like using cords because it is one less specialized piece of equipment I have to carry. I can use the prussik cord for other things. I also like it binered to the harness loop because it prevents an upside down hanging from the leg loop situation if something goes wacky.

Thanks for the help

This rigging makes it so you can use one hand on the prussik. The other hand does not have to hold the rope as in just using the 8 plate. People just starting out like it because just using their hands and just the 8 plate is scary to them. With this assistance it gives more confidence.

Psithurism - the sound of the wind rustling the leaves.

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #123212 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic
Robert, that's a perfect picture! Where'd it come from? I bet there's more there just like it!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds