I have a little question

• CedrikG
  • CedrikG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 3 months ago #134335 by CedrikG
I have a little question was created by CedrikG
Hi Folks,

I began tree's climbing a few month ago as I am doing research in tree's of Central Africa.

Unfortunately, my tree's climbing is the typical one, the one with spike on the boots. This is breaking the tree's a little. I would prefer that my equipment does not injure any tree's. Is there such equipment that could fit with me?

Thanks in advance, Cédrik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #134336 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:I have a little question
Certainly the modern sentiment is that spurs are not needed except for complete tree removals. Spurs injure the tree and the wounds can introduce insect or fungal attacks. Climbing is done on the rope using either hitches or mechanical ascenders. At a minimum you need an arborist rated climbing rope, a saddle, some prusik cord and some throw line. As one example see...

DLRW Climbing System
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by Davej.

• CedrikG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 3 months ago #134338 by CedrikG
Replied by CedrikG on topic Re:I have a little question
This looks absolutely amazing to do ... I can't wait.

I am just wondering if I will be able to do a quick check on a tree with this equipment ?

To put you in the context, I am usually in front of a giant rain forest, and looking for an insect that I have no idea if it is in there, as I am looking for unknown species.

To do so, I have to do a quick check in every tree's, as I am looking for arboreal species, will it be possible with this equipment or it require some time of preparation for each tree?

Sorry for my bad English,

Cédrik

More
14 years 3 months ago #134340 by Davej
Well, there is the added time of throwing the throwline and pulling the rope into the tree. If these trees are like poles then nothing will be as fast as simply climbing them with spurs and a lanyard. If the trees are broader then the rope method would allow you to more easily move around in the tree.

SRT

• CedrikG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 3 months ago #134341 by CedrikG
Replied by CedrikG on topic Re:I have a little question
That is awesome.

just wondering how you managed to throw your cable that high in the first video ?

Any video on that ?

By the way, both video are awesome thanks. :)

Cédrik

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #134342 by Davej
Well, don't get the idea that these are my videos. I'm just finding these by searching on Youtube. To answer your question about placing the line very high in the tree, most climbers use a large slingshot. These are available off-the-shelf at arborist suppliers.

Bigshot
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by Davej.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds