Looking for large trees in Northern GA/Eastern TN

• Xylem
  • Xylem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 6 months ago #134127 by Xylem
I live in Signal Mountain, Tennessee and have climbed around in the woods all over the mountain. Only one tree that I have found has been truly gigantic. It is a huge Hemlock that is next to this "cave" on a bluff in the middle of the woods. It is the largest tree I have found on the mountain, and I am looking for some new mammoths in nearby areas to ascend into. If anyone has had any incredible climbing in giant trees in Northern Georgia or Eastern Tennessee please let me know.

Are there any areas within these regions that are known for their large trees?

Any information on great climbing locations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #134136 by treeman
Good to see you around these parts Xylem. I'm glad you are still climbing. It always encourages me to see young climbers venture out into the trees. There are too many "grey hairs" climbing out there and new climbers are badly needed.

So make me feel comfortable here.You are climbing with a partner and/or calling in your GPS coordinates when in the woods- right? Many of the big trees you seek are in some remote areas so please make your instructor feel comfortable.

One good way to find big trees is to contact an Extension Agent or Forester in the county you are climbing. Ask educated questions, like where are the big red oaks in this county (or what ever species you are interested).

Keep away from National Parks. State parks are usually OK, but get ranger permission to climb which might be a bit difficult with your age. National forests are good places to check out.

BEWARE hunting areas while in season as there are hunters that shoot by sound, not sight. Wear orange of course- lots of it.

Your state forestry association will also know where the big stands are. They probably have maps as well.

BTW- cell phones get better signals from the treetops- so carry your GPS and phone it in to home base- especially if you are alone. I would like to say never climb alone, but I too was once young and invincible (a mirage to be honest) and climbed alone. SO BE CAREFUL- YA HEAR!

Tell me what you discover. You've only posted a few times here. That's not good enough for a strong young climber. Tell us what you are seeing and make some observations to help other climbers. I'll be looking for your posting numbers to go up.

See ya,
Treeman

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• Xylem
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 4 months ago #134271 by Xylem
Hey Treeman! I know, I need to get on and post more often. Hows TCI going? Hows the new location working out?? I've been meaning to come back down for a climb with you.

Oh! I'm reading "The Wild Trees" again, and love it! I love how you have your own chapter. I was wondering if you know of any other good books involving tree climbing. They are very fun to read.

And yes I am always climbing with a partner, no solo missions for me. Ok great I'll start asking around for some info about where some good trees could be, an I'll let you know what I find out. And yes, I will absolutely get permission before I go. Any suggestions on awesome species to be looking for?

What do you think of using a prussic system for Eastern forests, instead of the Blakes Hitch? I've seen it and read about it, and was wondering if it has any significant benefits. Looks pretty interesting.

Thanks a lot and I'll keep you informed on what I'm up to!

More
14 years 4 months ago #134272 by TreeTramp
Here a trail head that leads to the "Valley of the Giants".

This is where I first meet Don Stanford from Oxford, MI; Bob the way Wray; Naomi Rice; Bill Maher; and others that time has faded my memory.

I do remember staying in a Cabin near Suches, GA and there is a state park that is a real jewel.

Lake Winfield Scott- http://georgiatrails.com/places/winfieldscott.html

For more info contact the locals.

It was the site of a "Gathering" a few years back.

There is a GeoCache nearby that is a hoot.

Geo- http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=%20GCGQG7

Trail Head- http://www.georgiahikes.com/main.asp?url=/trails/trail_disp.asp?id=94

Wish I was there again and see you at the top,
Tree Tramp

• Xylem
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 4 months ago #134277 by Xylem
Awesome! Thanks TreeTramp

So the link that you posted is the trail that passes by the "Valley of the Giants"? Are the trees climb worthy? Do I need permission from any specific people to climb around?

• Xylem
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 4 months ago #134283 by Xylem
Any information on nice climbing areas in the Southeast would be great to have, if anyone has any that they especially enjoy.

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds