• fan5tastic
  • fan5tastic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 8 months ago #133975 by fan5tastic
telescopic poles (Ascending tek) was created by fan5tastic
Quick Question:-

I have been stuck in the tree I am climbing recreationally due to the ackwardness of throwing my beanie bag over to the next available anchor point. There are some branches and much leave cover in the way to use the throwline teks and I am an awful shot when dangling around up there like a psycho squirell.
I thought to myself -'If I only had a telescopic pole with a loop in the end of it, I could reach up to the next anchor point and just put my beanie bag with throwline right over that next anchor point'.
This would save a lot of throwing/sling shotting attempts which can often cause damage to the tree when I get the beanie bag caught up in leaves and small brances.
Please see the link as an idea:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skyblue-5-metre-Telescopic-pole/dp/B0013UVQRM/ref=pd_sim_sg_3/279-5976949-0353230

Am I treading on familiar territory here or am I set to waste money and fail with this brainstorm??
I am new to recreational tree climbing.
Would appreciate any tips, hints and also comments on this potential idea flashing through my brains.

Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #133976 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Re: telescopic poles (Ascending tek)
Hey Phil- you are not the first to have considered this route. In fact, there are two already made and sold products that might work better for you. One of them you can find on this very website http://www.treeclimbing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=229:retreever&catid=36&Itemid=111

The other...I can't remember who makes it or what it's called, but I think many think it to be better. Hopefully someone will chime it.

Obviously the hook would need an attachment to allow you to push a rope over the limb.

Many tree workers have the advantage of often carry a 12' pole saw with them. The saw has a hook at the top specifically for this purpose- and it's a huge help.

I believe that your best bet is to practice, practice, practice the throwing so you don't have to haul so much stuff around the tree.

The poles that you listed....what are they for?

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• fan5tastic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 8 months ago #133977 by fan5tastic
Replied by fan5tastic on topic Re:telescopic poles (Ascending tek)
Thanks Nick. The reviews don't look too promising and its only 10 feet in length.
The link I sent is for flag poles. I am going to enquire about how much they weigh and if I have one that extends (screw pieces together) up to 10 metres - Then I should have no probs. I doubt I would ever use that length - But hey its there if I ever do need it.

Phil

More
14 years 8 months ago #133978 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Re:telescopic poles (Ascending tek)
Phil- please do not take offense to this- but I think you're looking at it the wrong way. A 10 meter pole will be a crutch. Though you may not feel comfortable right now (feeling like a psycho squirrell!) I think you just have to refine your rope throwing or in-tree throwline technique.

A 10 meter throw is a pretty big toss, but it's very do-able.

The thought of hauling around 10 meters worth of pole...seems debilitating.

Let us know if you get the pole!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• fan5tastic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 8 months ago #133980 by fan5tastic
Still in thought on it. I appreciate your advise though. I will wait to hear back from the telescopic pole company and assess my thoughts when I know how much this thing will weigh.
I'll let you know if or if not.

Phil

More
14 years 8 months ago #133983 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:telescopic poles (Ascending tek)
I have the retreever and It could be used for that purpose but I am with Nick on this one:
"I believe that your best bet is to practice, practice, practice the throwing so you don't have to haul so much stuff around the tree."

I short throw like 10 feet is easily duable with some practice and tenacity. Also use a lanyard to stabilize yourself in the tree so you have a better aim while throwing. Good luck

• fan5tastic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 8 months ago #133984 by fan5tastic
The pole brakes down to 116cm pieces (believe it screws together). It weighs all in all with the carry bag that it comes with - 1.1KG.
Naturally one does not have to have the whole 8 pieces of the pole up in the tree with them. They may just have 3 or 4 of them.
I will most certainly practise the throw bag teks too. But sometimes I just want to get on and up as my time is limited.
Can you recommend a lanyard fro me please (links if possible).

Thanks for your responses on this topic.

Phil

More
14 years 8 months ago #133986 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:telescopic poles (Ascending tek)
fan5tastic wrote:

I have been stuck in the tree I am climbing recreationally due to the awkwardness of throwing my beanie bag over to the next available anchor point.

I admit I'd like to get one of those "retrievers." I've seen long telescoping poles for swimming pool use, but I don't know if I'd want an 8ft pole hanging from my belt.

• fan5tastic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 8 months ago #133990 by fan5tastic
This one I am getting is extendable to 8 metres. http://www.funkyleisure.co.uk/large-8m-telescopic-flagpole-484-p.asp

I found my climbing today zig zaggy when changing anchor points and could really have done with a retriever and this tool with an adapted hook on it would be perfect. The anchor points we are going for might not necessarily be directly above our heads.

Phil

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #133991 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Re:telescopic poles (Ascending tek)
The packed up length is about 4' long. I am skeptical, but very interested to hear how you like it.

Keep us informed!

love
nick

Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by nickfromwi.

• fan5tastic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 8 months ago #133994 by fan5tastic
It packs down to 116cm in length.
Ordering mine today. Should have it in the post tommorow (all going well with Royal Mail).

Phil

More
14 years 8 months ago #133996 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:telescopic poles (Ascending tek)
Here are a few links to a lanyard. The ones I use I made with a piece of rope and one carabiner at each end and centrally attached to the lower part of the saddle bridge. See photo.

Look in the TCI resources and on the Catalogs from Sherrils and Wesspur for examples of lanyards. Also look under NewTribe.com here is one they are offering now using a Trango
http://www.newtribe.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=431
But you can come up with your own idea that works better for you at a lower cost.

More
14 years 8 months ago #133999 by Davej
fan5tastic wrote:

I am an awful shot when dangling around up there like a psycho squirell.

You can search for homemade lanyards on about any forum. Mostly they vary only slightly. Here is one on a UK climbing forum with photos...

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/7299-sidestrop-advice-5.html#post132772

• fan5tastic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 8 months ago #134005 by fan5tastic
Thankyou. I have never used a lanyard and the pics are great but I wish there were a DVD that could teach beyond the basics as shown in Peters DVD so that Novices like me could see these pieces of equipment being used and recommended. I have a book but its not helping me understand any of the pics that I have seen posted here for me.
I get the idea of a lanyard and thats as far as my brain allows me at present (bet I sound right simple)!!
Phil

More
14 years 8 months ago #134006 by Davej
fan5tastic wrote:

I get the idea of a lanyard and thats as far as my brain allows me at present (bet I sound right simple)!!
Phil

The experienced people here always strongly recommend that you try to find a local experienced climbing partner or better yet an instructor, and with any new piece of equipment or new technique to be sure to try it "low and slow" at first.

The most commonly recommended introductory booklet in the US is "The Tree Climbers Companion" by Jepson. Many tidbits of information can be found in the various online forums as well as Youtube.com and equipment catalogs. There are also some cautionary tales which are worth careful reading.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds