Fingers

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #133464 by Davej
Fingers was created by Davej
Finger strength? Did you ever think about the fact that you don't have any muscles in your fingers?

\"We work our fingers by remote control. Of course, in one sense, we work all of our moving body parts by remote control - the control center is our brain. However, the fingers are special, because there are no muscles inside the fingers. The muscles which bend the finger joints are located in the palm and up in the mid forearm, and are connected to the finger bones by tendons, which pull on and move the fingers like the strings of a marionette.\"
---from http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/facts.htm
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by Davej.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #133466 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Re:Fingers
Good post.

I'd add that one really has no idea how important it is to take care of your hands. I've worked with computers for 10+ hours a day for the last 12 years or so. Before that I was a computer nerd in school, so when I wasn't at school I was at home working on my computers. After I lost my job in October I have taken several assignments that got me back in the field swinging hammers. After the first day my left hand was numb, after the first week both my hands were numb and swollen, and my arms and hands burned constantly below my elbow. Carpal-tunnel problems it turns out affect even the (relativly) young. I've since healed, but I realise now the strenght that I've lost in my hands.

Before it was difficult to climb on small diameter ropes, now it's extreemly difficult, I just cant close my hand that tight anymore. Descent is a little scary if I don't involve a descent control device.

Long story short, take care of your arms and hands.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds