Ever been harassed by police?

• Keiffer
  • Keiffer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 1 month ago #133447 by Keiffer
Ever been harassed by police? was created by Keiffer
Hi All, New climber here and just had a thought, Has anyone ever been arrested or harassed for climbing a tree on public property, Like in a state or city park?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #133448 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Ever been harassed by police?
Whoa, careful with the accusations there. By harassed, do you mean asked nicely, by a public official, to leave? Yes. Arrested? No, because I left when I was asked to do so.

More
15 years 1 month ago #133449 by Baker
Whoa, careful with the accusations there. By harassed, do you mean asked nicely, by a public official, to leave? Yes. Arrested? No, because I left when I was asked to do so.

More
15 years 1 month ago #133451 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Ever been harassed by police?
Agree, harass is the wrong word. I've been approached by very nervous officers with hand on their gun/holster and told to freeze. Classic misunderstanding, it was reported that there were homeless people camping in the woods. Once they calmed down a little I explained that I was tree climbing everything was fine and the officers let me be. The experience gave me a better understanding of what people who actually are homeless have to put up with on a daily basis. I was approached in the woods (different location) by a park ranger with the same question, I explained that I was not a homeless person camping in the woods and everything was fine. Apparently the general public who are the ones who call the police are much more afraid of homeless people than tree climbers.
-moss

More
15 years 1 month ago #133452 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Ever been harassed by police?
Most City or state parks have specific rules that you need to learn before you decide to climb their trees.
Ask first if you have to and if asked to leave just do so after you apologize for not knowing their rules. We do not want the local municipalities making specific prohibitions to Recreational Technical Tree Climbing.

For sure if you are free Climbing (without safety gear) definitely do not even try it. It is No legal, No safe! :blush: :ohmy:

More
15 years 1 month ago #133456 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Ever been harassed by police?

moss wrote:
I've been approached by very nervous officers with hand on their gun/holster and told to freeze. Classic misunderstanding, it was reported that there were homeless people camping in the woods.

\"Dang it, come down or I'll shoot?\"

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #133457 by moss

Davej wrote:\"Dang it, come down or I'll shoot?\"

Haha! Not quite. I was on the ground, as they approached and asked who I was I automatically reached for my ID without thinking they might be nervous. This caused them to reach for guns and shout freeze. I smiled and put my hands out. They calmed down eventually.

Whenever you're doing an activity in the woods that is not familiar to the general public, be prepared to be confronted and then work to calm things down. Obviously try not to reach into your pockets before you've explained to the officers what you're doing. Lessons learned.
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by moss.

More
15 years 1 month ago #133459 by Baker
Note: To a wary officer, the handle of some limb saws could look a lot like the stock of a sawed-off shot gun sticking of of your pack too. Move very slowly and deliberately.

More
15 years 1 month ago #133460 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Ever been harassed by police?

moss wrote:
Haha! Not quite. I was on the ground, as they approached and asked who I was...

Oh, and you were standing there with your shopping cart full of your worldly possessions... rope, gear, etc...:laugh:

More
15 years 1 month ago #133461 by moss
Davej wrote:

moss wrote:
Haha! Not quite. I was on the ground, as they approached and asked who I was...

Oh, and you were standing there with your shopping cart full of your worldly possessions... rope, gear, etc...:laugh:

I used to use my woods cart because of a bad back, my back is stronger now don't use it anymore except when I'm hauling gear for more than one person. The cart definitely makes people think I'm a roving woods gypsy.

-moss

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds