Diversity on the Climbing Community

• oldtimer
  • oldtimer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago #132792 by oldtimer
Diversity on the Climbing Community was created by oldtimer
So in the times we are not actually climbing or doing something to earn money to pay for more gear we started a discussion about why more guys than gals post on the Tree Climbing.

So there were all kinds of opinions including:
The age of the posters (mostly older guys)
The familiarity with Computer ( most comp geeks are guys)
There is not \"friendship\" with the regular posters.
Most guys like to talk about gear (gals are not much into that).
Guys like to brag about going to swamps. ( Gals not to much)
Guys are easier to relate with? We have some nice \"girls' friends but they never post.
Guys talk about \"technical\" junk more readily.
According to the trainers thay have trained as many guys as gals.

Anyways, any ladies visitor on this site that can shed some light into this mystery? :blush:

I noticed that more ladies post at Facebook than at these \"technical\" sites even though they are also tree climbers.

That's all for more psychology class for today!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132796 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Diversity on the Climbing Community
Hi Oldtimer!

It's been a while since I posted a message - maybe I'm getting in touch with my feminine side lately :laugh:

I certainly agree with your comment about gear. Men like tools and there are probably ten times as many posts about gear and experiences with gear then there are about sharing climbing experiences.

If any girl climbers reading this don't fancy getting into a technical discussion about gear (understandably) then tell us about some climbs you've done. We need more of that kind of stuff!

I haven't done much climbing lately - it's been too wet - but I have just bought a cool slingshot...see what I mean - us blokes just can't help ourselves...

Michael

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132800 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Diversity on the Climbing Community
Ummm, methinks there is underestimation of female interest in the technical aspects of climbing. Last I checked women are intellectually equal to men and are equally interested in safe, efficient and effective climbing technique.

I'm being a broken record but I think it's primarily due to women's (and many men as well) lack of interest in participating in online discussion forums, period. This is is well known for all internet discussion forums, not just tree climbing. People who post regularly on discussion forums are generally a hardy sort with a high tolerance for being misinterpreted. Either that or they enjoy skirmishing.

\"Social software\" sites like Facebook provide a wider range of interactive options and provide controls (you have to allow people to be \"Friends\") that both men and women seem to appreciate. The proof is in the pudding, look how many more women (and men) are actively participating.
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by moss.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132801 by michaeljspraggon
I certainly wasn't implying that women are less intelligent than men. I see what you mean about being misinterpreted! (I once read that the person with the highest IQ score in the world is a woman with 240 (although that was 20 years ago and someone else has probably bettered it by now)).

I was just suggesting that maybe men are generally more obsessed with gear. Maybe I should just stop talking now :S

Michael

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132802 by moss
michaeljspraggon wrote:

I certainly wasn't implying that women are less intelligent than men. I see what you mean about being misinterpreted! (I once read that the person with the highest IQ score in the world is a woman with 240 (although that was 20 years ago and someone else has probably bettered it by now)).

I was just suggesting that maybe men are generally more obsessed with gear. Maybe I should just stop talking now :S

Michael

:laugh: Aha! Classic example. I was referring to comments in this thread in general, not Michael's in particular. Since my post was next after Michael's it was assumed (understandably) that I was speaking directly to Michael's post. I was not. But how would Michael know? This exact same thing happened to me recently on another forum. I thought a pointed comment was aimed at me because it came right after my post. I replied with a completely misdirected impassioned response which somewhat offended yet another poster who thought I was speaking directly to them! In this way a discussion forum can be an argument and minor insult factory. To hang in there you have to be thick-skinned and forgiving, or else just love constantly getting into arguments. This kind of pattern can be discouraging to men and women but seems to be more tolerable to men.

Looking at several comments (on TCC and TCI) as to reasons why women might not like tree climbing discussion forums there were several statements that when added up, start to paint a picture of women being somewhat dull-witted. If someone described you as not being interested in technical matters, not interested in gear and tools and not interested in or comfortable with using computers would it lead you to think that people who made those comments might think on some level that you don't have the intellectual capacity to engage on these matters?

Just food for thought.
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by moss.

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132803 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Diversity on the Climbing Community

but I have just bought a cool slingshot...see what I mean - us blokes just can't help ourselves..

So now that you mentioned new gear when are you going to post a picture so that we can be jealous and feel sorry for ourselves and have to go and buy more gear to make us feel better again!

See I feel better already. Gear... ugggggggggg! like Homer Simpson would say while drooling all over!!!!!! :laugh:

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132804 by oldtimer
Yeah Mike, you better stop while you are ahead!!!! hehehehehe:laugh:

More
15 years 4 months ago #132805 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Diversity on the Climbing Community
oldtimer wrote:

we started a discussion about why more guys than gals post on the Tree Climbing.

More male climbers. I've been told that horseriding is where the women outnumber the men.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132806 by michaeljspraggon

So now that you mentioned new gear when are you going to post a picture so that we can be jealous and feel sorry for ourselves and have to go and buy more gear to make us feel better again!

It's only gear, not love (or donuts: ummmmmm...:P )

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132807 by oldtimer
So now that everyone migrated to facebook to get in touch with their \"touchy feelings side' and \"diversify\" their experience in the climbing community who is remaining 'round here to keep posting technical issues, new gear and made up climbing stories?

Even Mossy-moss is there too. OMG! His posting rate is definitely going to go down. Wow, I may even catch up with him!.
Davidj got tired of talking to himself, Tengu ran away to the Rainforest and the rest of the crew is fixing to go to Panama to hang around with the hauler monkeys at the ITEC site. :S
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by oldtimer. Reason: fixing things up

More
15 years 4 months ago #132808 by moss
Not to worry Oldtimer, it's just a passing fancy. By the way could you explain just how a person goes about \"touching their feelings?\" Ummm... on second thought, never mind.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds