Rain?

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132578 by Davej
Rain? was created by Davej
Someone (Baker?) recently mentioned climbing in the rain. What I am curious about is whether anyone preps their cambium savers for unexpected rain? The Dan House conduit sleeve seems capable of internal rust and the traditional leather sleeve isn't going to like being wet. Only the false crotch seems immune.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #132579 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Rain?
As far as the leather cambium saver goes, I don't see a big problem. Leather is naturally water resistant - to a point. Also, water IS a lubricant. It can actually make the rope slide more easily, through the sleeve.

I've never used a house sleeve (It's going to be my next piece of gear though), so I don't know what they look like inside. If they are bare metal, I can imagine a tiny bit of a problem if rust forms. I think the rust would have to be REAL bad to do damage to the rope though. I would also think that you could clean the inside of the house sleeve with a swab - like you would a shotgun barrel.

Finally, like you said, If I was going to climb and it was already raining or rain was forcast, I'd use my ring and strap friction saver to avoid any of this.
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by Baker.

More
15 years 6 months ago #132580 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Rain Impact on Sleves
The Dan House sleeves are made of a metal that does not rust that I am aware of. My sleeves have been wet a few times and I have never seen rust inside them. The leather ones kind of wrinkle up and need to be put to dry correctly or they loose their shape. :laugh:

More
15 years 6 months ago #132600 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Rain?
I'll second what Oldtimer said, rain is no problem for the House sleeves. If you left them in a bucket of salt water for a few days you'd have a problem but otherwise just give them the opportunity to dry if you use them in wet conditions and they'll be fine.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds