Most active online forum?

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 7 months ago #132108 by Davej
Most active online forum? was created by Davej
I've stumbled across a few other treeclimbing forums but which ones are the most active? Some really seem to be for arborists and not really for treeclimbers and some really seem to simply be there to promote their own climbing classes and packaged outings. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #132115 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Most active online forum?
Activity varies with each Web site. I participate in at least three boards regularly; TCI, TCC and TreeWorld and read regularly Treebuzz and look around a couple of others. This board is one of the best for Recreational Tree Climbers and new climbers. The TCC site gets most of the regulars that have a lot of experience but few of the climbers taking their classes also participate regularly. TreeWorld is mostly operated for Arborists that same as Treebuzz but I learn a lot of techniques from either one and they have cool videos and contests that I enter sometimes. I keep my comments to the minimum since I am not an Arborist I do not want to wear my welcome for being opinionated and a pain to deal with so I mostly read and enjoy from the background. :(

Thanks for staying active. I Hope that you get your gear soon and get some training so that start enjoying the benefits of Rec Tree Climbing in full view from the trees!:woohoo:

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 7 months ago #132135 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Most active online forum?
oldtimer wrote:

This board is one of the best for Recreational Tree Climbers and new climbers.

Well it seems like there are only maybe a half dozen of us here. Is this the off season or something?

More
15 years 7 months ago #132139 by oldtimer
You can look in the bottom part of the posts and see who is on-line and how many people have visited that day. Many climbers never post and just read others postings but that is Ok for their time restraints; others post more regularly and others well... you know are here more than we should! :laugh:

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #132149 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Most active online forum?
Davej wrote:

Well it seems like there are only maybe a half dozen of us here. Is this the off season or something?

This is the \"on season\" :-)

If you look at any of the rec tree climbing message forums, there are only a handful of people who post regularly. As Oldtimer mentioned, there are many more who read but don't post. I think that many of the experienced climbers are concerned about giving instruction over a message forum, the responsibility is heavy once you tell a beginner on a web site how to do something in a tree.
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by moss.

More
15 years 7 months ago #132201 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Re:Most active online forum?
oldtimer wrote:

I keep my comments to the minimum since I am not an Arborist I do not want to wear my welcome for being opinionated and a pain to deal with so I mostly read and enjoy from the background.

You don't EVER have to worry about that at TB Desi:cheer: Your comments are always welcome and well composed.

Until cutting tools are added to the mix we're all tree climbers. There's little different from pro/rec climbing issues. Gravity doesn't differentiate :blink:

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• mdvaden
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 6 months ago #132437 by mdvaden
Replied by mdvaden on topic Re:Most active online forum?
Tom Dunlap wrote:

oldtimer wrote:

I keep my comments to the minimum since I am not an Arborist I do not want to wear my welcome for being opinionated and a pain to deal with so I mostly read and enjoy from the background.

You don't EVER have to worry about that at TB Desi:cheer: Your comments are always welcome and well composed.

Until cutting tools are added to the mix we're all tree climbers. There's little different from pro/rec climbing issues. Gravity doesn't differentiate :blink:

Tom is pretty much on the money about that comment.

For a short while, I even lent a hand to the Australian based forum until it felt like the admin of that site began to turn on a some folks like an Internet-Hitler.

But the Buzz has been rather professional for a long time.

More
15 years 6 months ago #132438 by jerseygirl
Replied by jerseygirl on topic Re:Most active online forum?
Davej wrote:

Some really seem to be for arborists and not really for treeclimbers. Thanks.

that is a funny statement - as Some Arborists are treeclimbers and some treeclimbers are Arborists - some rec climbers are treeclimbers and some arborist are rec climbers - it is a CIRCLE of the trees.

I LOVE THE BUZZ and i feel very welcome there - I am a PURE Rec climber. Everyone on Treebuzz has made me feel welcome and if I had to call one forum home over all others it would be that site.

Each forum has it's pluss and minuses and you get out of it what you put in. Be a lurker or a poster.

jz

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132444 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Most active online forum?
jerseygirl wrote:

Davej wrote:

Some really seem to be for arborists and not really for treeclimbers. Thanks.

that is a funny statement - as Some Arborists are treeclimbers and some treeclimbers are Arborists - some rec climbers are treeclimbers and some arborist are rec climbers - it is a CIRCLE of the trees.

Well, by treeclimbers I was implying rec treeclimbers. It is no different than any other situation where there are a mix of amateurs and pros. If I go to an electrician's forum there will be some there who feel that it is pure foolishness for a homeowner to do electrical work him/herself. That is a job for a professional.

More
15 years 6 months ago #132445 by jerseygirl
Replied by jerseygirl on topic Re:Most active online forum?
to me climbing is climbing. it's like sitting about the camp fire at the buzz everyone leaves the profession somewhere else. we talk about knots and rope and boot all the SAME things that the so called REC only climbers that are here.

why pigeon hole yourself

BRANCH OUT - spread your limbs - take in all that you can

anyway my 2 cents worth and with inflation it is worth less

More
15 years 2 months ago #133271 by Johnny O
Replied by Johnny O on topic Re:Most active online forum?
Old Timer,
My gear is arriving this friday. I can not wait to try it out on my big oaks in santa cruz.
Johnny O

More
15 years 2 months ago #133273 by oldtimer
Be careful in your new Adventures. Make sure to try everything low and slow first, before going all the way up.
Enjoy your gear and your new hobby! :laugh:

More
15 years 2 months ago #133275 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Re:Most active online forum?
I think there are indeed mostly readers here, with few that write. TCI averages around 8,000 unique hits per month. Next time I look at the stats I'll tell you the percentage of people that go to the forum pages.

People tend to post more often when there is a controversy in progress. Everyone seems to amp up and get involved. But it seems that posters are a bit more civil here, which I personally like.

So maybe you can help us out here on our forum by asking questions (a favorite for triggering activity) or presenting new things you discover while keeping out of the disaster threads. You might even create your own revolution here. Tree climbers have been known to step out into new directions.

Thanks for posting here.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds