Help Wanted Climbing TWO trees (St. Charles, IL)

• w1cun
  • w1cun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 9 months ago #131871 by w1cun
I am looking for an experienced tree climber to climb two trees at my residence in Saint Charles, Illnois. I need to have screw type eyebolts to fasten a pulley with rope at the 40 or 50 foot height for a ham radio wire antenna. I offer resonable compensation and travel gas and mileage rembursement for anyone within a 60 mile radius of St. Charles, IL. The two trees involved are a Sugar Maple and a Black Walnut. I will assist as a ground helper to hand up hardware as it is needed. I cannot climb any longer as I have a physical disability from military service. Here is a chance to do what you love and get paid to do it! Anyone interested can send me an e-mail and we can discuss this further.
Thanks for reading my post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #131935 by treeweasel
I was just curious, did you ever get your antenna installed?

• w1cun
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 8 months ago #131936 by w1cun
Yes, Ihired a tree service when there was no response. They installed two pulleys and rope. One at 60' in the Maple and one at 45' in the Walnut. All is well and the antenna performs like a champ. Thanks for asking.

More
15 years 8 months ago #131948 by treeweasel
Good to hear.

I live in Indianapolis IN which is too far from you. And since I'm basically just a beginner, you may have needed the Fire Department to get me safely out of the trees . . . :O)

I was somewhat curious though. You were using a two pully system to raise a lower a ham radio antenna, correct? You were raising the antenna in the middle of those pulleys? I couldn't visualize the set up?

TW

• w1cun
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 8 months ago #131950 by w1cun
The antenna is just a wire antenna. It's 182' long so what I had them do was install a good sturdy stainless steel eye hook in the trees. To that is shackled a pulley. The ropes go all the way from the ground up around the pulley and back down to ground level and than quite a bit of excess besides. The end of the rope that goes up the tree has an insulator on it for which the wire passes through freely on the maple tree. The other end is on the walnut with the same rope setup except the end of the wire is rigidly attached to the insulator and the insualtor to the rope. In this manner the entire wire antenna can be raised and lowered at will. I just drop the rigid end (Walnut) untie the maple rope and pull the whole thing down. It works very well and no climbing need now that the pulleys are installed.

If you need more detail, I will draw a skech in paint and attach it?

Bob

More
15 years 8 months ago #131952 by oldtimer
Hello Bob
Looks like a you need a \"Professional Arborist\" to do the work correctly and with some level of confidence on the durability of the project (to much potential liablity for someone that is not insured to take.)
Look for the local arborists to see if you find one interested in Amateur Radio Operations and he or she would be able to help you get this Antenna Installation project completed safely.
No many Recreational Tree Climbers are willing to take the risk on something like this.
my 2 cents.
:ohmy:

Here is a link I found in Google.
http://www.illinoisarborist.org/CertifiedArboristsNew.htm

• mdvaden
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 8 months ago #132016 by mdvaden
w1cun wrote:

The antenna is just a wire antenna. It's 182' long so what I had them do was install a good sturdy stainless steel eye hook in the trees. To that is shackled a pulley. The ropes go all the way from the ground up around the pulley and back down to ground level and than quite a bit of excess besides. The end of the rope that goes up the tree has an insulator on it for which the wire passes through freely on the maple tree. The other end is on the walnut with the same rope setup except the end of the wire is rigidly attached to the insulator and the insualtor to the rope. In this manner the entire wire antenna can be raised and lowered at will. I just drop the rigid end (Walnut) untie the maple rope and pull the whole thing down. It works very well and no climbing need now that the pulleys are installed.

If you need more detail, I will draw a skech in paint and attach it?

Bob

This reply answered what I was curious about. You opened initially with eye bolt, and I was wondering why not something less invasive like a lag eye or lag hook.

So it sounds like that's what you finally chose.

I used to work for a radio operator near here - I forgot about him after moving, and should go say hello. He has a tower in the back yard.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds