Decompression climb.

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126665 by treeman
Decompression climb. was created by treeman
MarkF mentioned decompressing on a climb. Could anyone tell me more about decompression? I know what it means as far as diving is concerned- my Pop used to be a diving instructor.

What does it mean in psychological terms. I've heard corporate people use this term. Could it be related to a corporate ladder?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126690 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic Decompression
Did I see the word "psychological"? How could I not chime in?

For me, decompressing means getting away from the pressure and rejuvenating myself.

At times things feel so tense and stressful that it seems hard to breathe. Whether it's corporate ladders, or family, or traffic we sometimes feel closed in and tight.

When I get up in a tree (or anything in the woods - or water - or anything in nature for that matter) I feel a relief. It's like a weight has been lifted off of me. The pressure's gone, I can breathe freely. These times recharge me so I can gather strength and go back at it renewed.

So in many ways it is just like decompressing from a deep dive. As we come up (or climb up), the pressure is lessened and our bodies adjust. We are not designed for these kinds of pressure so being under them does funny things to us and we need to get back to what should be normal.

As a further validation of your analogy, the guy who first used the word "stress" as a psychological term was a civil engineer. He figured the mental stresses we encounter are just like the physical ones he used when building a bridge. And just like a bridge, too little stress and we float away, too much and we fall down.

Probably way more than you really wanted to know, but I couldn't stop my fingers.

Happy new year all!

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126691 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Relax, Decompress....Climb a tree!
I agree w/ docteric.
Climbing for fun or even to remove a dead branch gives me the sense of freedom, doing something few people can do. Relax, even though I get very tired after a climb but the feeling of satisfaction and happiness is very positive afterward.

I did the partial removal of one of my trees this week. It kept me busy for almost the entire day, cutting , dropping branches and finally cleaning up the mess. A great worked out. I saved some money, and now all my friends get free firewood but most important the feeling of relaxation and accomplishment afterward is great. Only problem is that one of my favority tree is dead now.
So relax, decompress....Climb a tree!

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126693 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Decompression climb.
Sorry to hear about the death of your tree Oldtimer. It's a significant event for sure. After you get to know a tree like a friend it's tough to lose it.

I could go on and on about the benefits of tree climbing :-) As far as decompression goes here are some aspects of climbing that contribute to this:

1. Focus and emotional relaxation
A friend asked me if I meditate when I'm in a tree. I don't intentionally but the focus required in climbing creates a related conciousness experience. Each deliberate step in the tree requires relaxed and focused mental attention. Doing this for 2-3 hours or more moves the climber into an invigorated yet calm mental space. I guess this is an important part of what is often called "tree time".

2. Fear/release of fear or processing fear
I don't have as much fear response as I did in my early climbs but fear is always there in some form. Working through this fear in the tree has a tremendous positive effect. I have no idea what's going on on a neuro/emotional level but I think it has something to do with the rewards of working through an internal obstacle. There is a release effect which is very powerful. This is not the same as dealing with panic. Panic is out of control and is not useful in a tree :-)

3. Reconnecting with nature
Many of us suffer from thinking that we are separate from nature. Being in a tree for more than ten minutes starts to break this idea down. Being in a tree for a couple of hours helps you connect with your true self.

4. Healthy physical exertion
One of the things I love about tree climbing is that you can pretty much climb no matter how strong or not so strong you're feeling. Go slow or push it 'til your muscles beg for mercy. Either way you're creating benefit for all of your major physical systems. It plays a big part in the decompression effect.

-moss

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126698 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Psychology and tree climbing
Thanks Doctoric. Psychology is a big interest to me- you can ramble for a few more pages if you would. The psychological affects of tree climbing always has me wonder at my own altered feelings up in a tree. I know others too have altered feelings, that is why they keep climbing and bringing thier friends up for sharing.

No doubt a root of these peaceful interludes in our hectic lifes is that of an oasis. It is like we live in this pressure cooker, this society of ours. It amazes me we as humans have half the sanity to continue on.

Is the air better up there? Is it the solitude? Possibly looking down at the "bottom feeders" (in the world of water) gives us a different perspective. Maybe it's the heart rate. Fear confrontation in direct contact. I'm sure it is diffeent for everyone- yet there are common threads. What IS it about the treetops?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126701 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic Decompression climb.
Ditto to all the above - I meant it in a psycological sense. Being a prof involves a lot of sitting at a computer (or in front of a stack of papers to grade), standing in front of students blowing hot air (usually known as lecturing), or otherwise talking to people. At the end of a semester, one is usually getting physically and mentally worn out. Coming home to Wendy and the kids is wonderful, but often a bit hectic until the kids are in bed. Doing something physical - and connected with nature - gives a feeling of renewal and perspective. You often literally feel a weight come off. As time goes on, that weight more and more seems to come off of me as the weight goes on to the rope.

The concentration needed to ascend safely only adds to the effect; you have to disconnect from all of the other cares of life while you're going up. Once you're up there, the life on the ground is literally seen in a different perspective.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds