Greetings

• ArborPatrol
  • ArborPatrol's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126513 by ArborPatrol
Greetings was created by ArborPatrol
Hello to everyone on the TCI message board. My name is Josh Galiley. I am a Brooklyn based arborist. I have been climbing professionally for 5 years. I have taught recreational tree climbing at the New York Botanical Garden (where I work) since 2001. I figure with Sherrill making moves and the rec. tree climbing culture growing in general, it might be a good time to more formally join the cause. I hope this message finds everyone well for the holidays. Take care...Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126515 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Greetings
Welcome Josh, looking forward to your participation in the rec climbing community.

From your NY Botanical Garden perspective you have unique qualifications to discuss the problem of where to climb for urban rec climbers. Many of us end up mixing unauthorized ninja climbs into our climbing activities. The ideal would be to gain institutional (private) and public (city) support for designated climbing areas. Don't know exactly how it would work. I wouldn't want to see an individual tree stressed by heavy climbing use. The solution may be to have several trees designated as ok to climb on a rotating schedule to lesssen impact. If such a system was put in place there would be the question of whether or not climbers would need to apply for some kind of permit (show climbing competence) in order to climb in the designated areas.

Don't expect all the questions to be answered any time soon, interested in hearing your (or anyone's) thoughts on how to deal with this problem.
-moss

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126520 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic HI Josh!
Hi Josh. I believe we met in Colorado during Claus Mattheck’s (Of Stupsi book fame) seminar. Am I correct?

Welcome. I am glad you checked in here. You’ll find this a good community to plug into. You’ll probably recognize some of the folks from Treebuzz.com and Arborsite.com.

Patty says you will be working for NYC parks soon. Possibly you can send out feelers on what it would take to get a designated climbing tree approved in Central City Park. Harv at Tree Climbing Colorado did just that in Fort Collins. Maybe there is hope for it happening in your part of the country. Keep us posted please if you make any progress, have tips to offer, and of course share your experiences with us. You will have a very captivated audience here as it is an issue we struggle with; getting the parks and recreational department’s nod of approval.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds