Parrot Rescue

• NPA
  • NPA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125867 by NPA
Parrot Rescue was created by NPA
My wife and I live in New Jersey, in a densely wooded area. On 09/10/2005 at 3:00PM, our Cacatoo accidentally escaped, landing into a nearby tree. Unfortunately, she was far beyond the reach of any extension ladder. Although she could fly, her unfamiliarity with the surroundings made her uncomfortable and unwilling to fly back to us. Many hours passed as she moved from tree to tree desperately trying to get back to us, and calling for us to come get her. Most people would find it hard to understand, but large Parrots are mostly climbers, not flyers. When they are unfamiliar with their surroundings, they prefer to climb to their destination or climb higher to get a better view. At nightfall we brought out the work lights and were able to illuminated a large area under the canopy, helping us maintain visual contact with her. Once it became completely dark she became nervous and took flight. Unfortunately, we lost sight and she stopped communicating. We camped out that night, hoping she would call to us, but no luck. The temperature had dropped to 58, borderline for her breed, and we naturally feared the worst. The following morning at 6:00AM daybreak, we began our search hoping she would call to us. At 6:30AM she let out one call, but it was difficult to locate her. At 7:00AM, she began calling continuously, and we were able to locate her about 50 yards from her last location the night before. She was 70 feet up in a giant tulip tree.

During this whole ordeal, the local Fire Dept was not interested. Tree Services wanted upwards of $850.

By a stroke of luck, our neighbor located an advert in the local paper for a Tree Service that did Cat rescues for $75. At 10:45AM James Maloney, from Maloney and Son Tree Service was on site with his shiny new 62' Boom. At 1:00PM we had the Parrot. James Maloney is a true professional not out to take advantage of people during moments of desperation. His patients and skill help him guide his boom through the tree like a guided missile, without the Parrot ever flinching. All for $100. Priceless!!

What does all this have to do with TCI?

Desperate for help and having located the Parrot that morning, we began searching the net for possible solutions. We considered tree climbers, and came across TCI. My first contact that morning was John Routon. I can not begin to tell you how grateful we are for John's help! His understanding, advise, and assessment of the situation. But mostly for listening. He assured me he would do what he could to find local help in NJ, and he delivered! Although we were ultimately successful with Maloney and Sons Tree Service, John's professionalism and help was comforting and reassuring.

Our heartfelt thanks goes out to you John. I wish I could say more.

I would also like to that Patty Jenkins for returning our call and offering her advise.

Should anyone need assistance with similar matters in New Jersey, please contact James Maloney, from Maloney and Sons. They can be reached at 973-697-5233 or http://www.maloneyandson.net.

Gratefully yours
Nick Asaro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125871 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Parrot Rescue
Nick,
Welcome to TCI Board. We are glad that you were able to recover your friendly parrot and that John and Patty were able to provide assistance in your moment of desperate need. We will keep Mr Maloney and Sons services in the files for future reference, just in case!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds