Which Rope in Oregon?

• blakeshitch
  • blakeshitch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125808 by blakeshitch
Which Rope in Oregon? was created by blakeshitch
I'm packing my gear to ship to the Rendezvous. I plan to SRT with New England Fly. Should I use 150' or 200'? Will we anchor on a limb or on the ground? If 150' is long enough, I'd like to use it to save weight. Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125823 by newtribe
Replied by newtribe on topic Rope length for Oregon Rendezvous
Hi BlakesHitch--

The Fly will do fine for the SRT climbing we'll be doing at the Rendezvous.

You have your choice for how you secure your rope. We usually use a choker on the anchor branch. That way when you're ready to come down, you can untie the rope and bend it at its center over the branch, and descend on two. Then you can just pull it out of the tree from the ground.

With a 150' rope, you'll be limited to trees that have an anchor branch no higher than 75' up. Most of our SRT trees do. You can climb higher in such trees by resetting your rope and making the climb in several pitches. Then you'd descend in several pitches, too. Of course, you'll need a secondary safety lanyard (like New Tribe's Monkeytail) to tie in while you're moving your rope.

With your 200' rope, you can get into trees having a lowest anchor branch up to 100' from the ground. This means you may have access to trees your shorter rope couldn't reach. It also means you may have fewer pitches to your climb. Your throwline will have to be at least as long as your rope to take advantage of the additional rope length on the first pitch.

Most of the recreational climbs we've done in the past 15 years here in Oregon have been with 150' of rope.

Hope this info helps!

Sophia

More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125827 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic What Rope to Take
Blakeshitch
I am taking a 150 ft KMIII rope for the SRT portions, with all the mechanical ascenders and a Grigri for the descending portions. This is what I hope to the do the most and I am also bringing a 120 ft long SPORTLINE 7/16” 12-strand Arborist Rope that I use for the DdRT portion after I am high in the tree including a basic mechanical ascender, a couple of pulleys and extra stuff like that. The whole mess fits in a small bag that I will check in to comply w/ the for security rules. ( They usually have a great time looking at all the stuff and leaving their little letter saying they looked throw all my stuff) All my clothes and personal stuff I take in my carry on backpack. I travel light so it works fine. See you next week.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds