training

• dmt500
  • dmt500's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125277 by dmt500
training was created by dmt500
I am new to climbing and have been having some trouble finding training opportunities in my area (western Massachusetts). I have recently discovered an outfit called ArborMaster (arbormaster.com) that has different levels of courses in climbing, felling and rigging (arborist training, obviously) at different locations arround the country on a revolving schedule. So if you are also someone in an area where training does not seem to be available near by, you might want to check these guys out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125301 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Arbormaster Training
Hi DMT500,
Arbormaster does indeed teach working arborists (tree workers). I would suggest these questions be asked before training with them. Ask how much hands on training is in their course. Ask how many participants they normally have at one seminar. Then ask what their student to instructor ratio is if they intend on having students climb. In my opinion as an instructor, it should never go above 5 to 1. Personal attention is critical when it comes to going aloft.
Get references from a recent course. Ask for at least three. Ask the references how much useful information they came away with. What was their level of participation as far as hands on training versus seminar lecture time?
Recreational tree climbing and tree work climbing are two different horses. The gear has some similarities as does technique. But the mindset and intention is very different.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• dmt500
  • dmt500's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125303 by dmt500
Replied by dmt500 on topic training
Thanks for the info. ArborMaster does sound very focused on getting in a tree to cut something off! I may have to make a trip to Georgia yet. Thanks again.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125606 by nhdevildog
Yeah, I live in NH and have had to just use books to learn some of the Teks. Actually going to work for a company to bleed some minds myself.

In war there is no substitute for victory

More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125762 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic training
The renovated New Tribe web site is outstanding!

I just happened to check their site by chance and was quite surprised.
I did not know of the changes in store!

It’s nice to see things are blooming out there. :)

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125769 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic New Tribe and Tim Kovar
E-jake,

Thanks for pointing out the changes at New Tribe. I make a point of visiting the site regularly, but the changes were a pleasant surprise. It seems like a great connection between Tengu's climbing instruction skills and New Tribe. I wish them all the best.

I do RTC as a passtime. I like seeing people make a living from it.

Regards,
JimK
Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds