Why is tree climbing not mainstream?

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124582 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Tree Climbing Publicity?
I do not see the issue of attracting publicity as a main concern at this point. I am one of those self taught ones and I learned from the public available books (Flowers and Jepson) and web searches. I made a decision to climb my trees in a safe way and I went out bough the equipment and learned. Attended the Rendezvous in Nebraska learned some more and may even take a class in the future but attracting too much publicity may not be a good thing. First will come the need for permits to climb, next OSHA or some other branch of gov will write rules for safe climbing, them they will remove the trees because some fool fall down, next only goverment Licensed climbers will be allowed to climb on approved "safe" man made trees. You know what already happened to all the local city parks that removed all their monkey bars and merry-go-arounds because someone may get hurt. So now the kids only have boring plastic toys to climb on at the parks. Tree climbing is still a free adventure w/ some risks involved and positive publicity will naturally come to it as times goes by. For those that make a living out of teaching classes they will have to work on their publicity issues as their needs and capacity to teach reaches a good level and their needs are satisfied. This site, the magazine articles, NPR reports etc, have all been positive so far, lets keep it that way!
;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124584 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Why is tree climbing not mainstream?
Oldtimer,
Your post outlines exactly what some of us fear. Especially those of us that have only been climbing a few years. To discover such a wonderful activity and then be trampled over by the up and coming fad. :( Sooner or later a recreational climber is going to get hurt and sue the forest (so-to-speak). That will be the beginning of the end. In the mean time on a more positive note, looking down from the canopy puts us in an element of the forest that on one ever treads upon, and that’s nice!

One last item for ya…
With a handle like Oldtimer and there is not even a hint of what your age is in you user profile? How bout’ clicking on General Discussions and then How old are tree climbers and post a little something in the Treeman’s thread. Perhaps just a hint. ;)

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124593 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Bozo Filter Failure
Recreational tree climbing’s friend, the Bozo Filter, will some day fail. The Bozo Filter is the Darwinian process of naturally weeding out ego maniacs in the recreational tree climber community. There does not seem to be enough ego draw (“Look at me!”) at this point to keep reckless tree climbers doing what they do. They go back to more “extreme” pursuits like sky diving, rock climbing, fast vehicles, etc.

This can of course change, maybe even as I write. Some recreational tree climber could get hurt. The news event could discourage future tree climbers and make bad press. OR- it could appear challenging to younger folks that want to feel their mortality. Rock climbing is an example. That sport alone kills and maims many every year. Yet rock climbing is as popular as ever. The same applies with mountaineering and caving. Maybe tree climbing is too tame. OK by me.

I do not think people can sue the forest or their management from a tree climbing accident. Tree climbing is voluntary and because of that, those who own trees can not be sued. Each state has land use statutes that exempt people from getting sued-- UNLESS they are paying for it like in tree climbing instruction or paid guides. An example to this case is drowning. Lots of people drown in parks each year- but they voluntarily went to or near the water.

The only rock climbing controls are signing in, signing out, waiting line for certain routes, and bans from climbing during certain nesting seasons. Climbers that have to get rescued now have to pay the costs for rescue. I can not imagine Smokey the Bear chasing tree climbers. The reason why tree climbing is illegal in the national parks is because it is new and the rangers are concerned for the welfare of the trees. The latter being a very good reason. Humans have a bad tendency to kill what they love- of better put- love it to death.

There really is not much in the way of recreational tree climbing. The older I get, the more I like this laid back acceptance form of adventure. Just a mere rope on my back and the jangle of carabiners on my side can stop anyone on the trail and have them asking questions about “What are you going to climb? There isn’t any rock around here” When you mention tree climbing you can see their excitement level instantly jump up. They are intrigued! That’s when I hand them a brochure and escape for the tree that is calling me.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124656 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Saddles Sold Tells of Growth
Throughout this entire discussion, I was tempted to write that we need to ask how many climbing harnesses are being sold by New Tribe.

Ponderosa's recent link to a newspaper article about his climbing exploits had the quote.

From New Tribe:

Although hard data about the participants are difficult to come by, New Tribe, an Oregon company that sells equipment for recreational tree climbing, says it has sold almost 1,500 tree-climbing saddles this year, up 34 percent from 2003.

I would take 34% growth any day!

Regards,
JimK

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124663 by Electrojake
As for Mainstream types entering into your world…

Tree climbing to the non-climbing public is probably like this:
* It takes a special kind of person to climb a tree and not get paid for it.
* The gear and training doesn’t come cheap and is unheard of in sports stores.
* Technical tree climbing has the tendency to give non-climbers fear without the burst of excitement or exhilaration that other sports are known for.
* Since it is a quiet sport, it has little spectator appeal.

Personally speaking, It took me a long time to appreciate the “tree” and not just the climb. Then there’s the tranquility thing. Tranquility pretty much doesn’t exist in my world, so when it came as an unexpected bonus to tree climbing, it took me a while to grasp it. Not something I was expecting to find while learning a new “sport”.

It is obvious that the forum clientele here are primarily accomplished climbers. As I gain exposure in recreational tree climbing and learn about who some of you are, I cant help but be humbled. (and I am sincere about that)

Perhaps recreational tree climbing will indeed be getting popular but not with the mainstream…
With an exceptional group of people.:)

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124666 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Age of Climbers
Given the survey results on the thread about the age of climbers I would say that publicity is pretty important. Sorry to point this out guys, but if averages hold, from what I see it will pretty much be Nick and me in 20 years or so.

I would love to have a group of folks in my area climbing like there is in the GA area, but it is pretty much me and two other climbers. I like solo adventures, but frankly, there is little fun if you can't share that wonderful climb and fabulous view.

Attrition stinks, we need to generate some more young(ish) climbers.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• Bradley Ford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124690 by Bradley Ford
Replied by Bradley Ford on topic Why is tree climbing not mainstream?

Originally posted by Electrojake
Perhaps recreational tree climbing will indeed be getting popular but not with the mainstream…
With an exceptional group of people.:)

Maybe recreational tree climbers need to feel something special about trees: respect, reverence, awe, admiration, appreciation, ... even love. I suspect such feelings are held by the majority of recreational tree climbers. And maybe the mainstream generally lacks such feelings about trees, thereby limiting recreational tree climbing's mainstream appeal.

• Bradley Ford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124691 by Bradley Ford
Replied by Bradley Ford on topic Why is tree climbing not mainstream?

Originally posted by Icabod
I would love to have a group of folks in my area climbing like there is in the GA area, ...

Why does the GA area group exist? Because of the local opportunity to learn. So it seems there is the possibility of snowballing growth similar to multi-level marketing schemes, but that the current number of instructors is still too low to affect significant growth.

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124699 by Electrojake

Originally posted by Bradley Ford
...climbers need to feel something special about trees: respect, reverence, awe, admiration, appreciation, ... even love.

Bradley,
I would assume that the mainstream (mainly youth) are not looking for a “peaceful” sport. If they are going to spend the time and money to get involved, they are going to want a “bang” for their buck. Fortunately for most of us here, tree climbing is not a hot-shot, adrenalin-rush type of sport.

Additionally…
A year or so ago I would have read your comments and said to myself “geez, what a tree-hugger”. However, there has been an unintentional change here. It has been a slow process for me to look at a tree as something more than simply a challenge of what I could do with a chainsaw and a 10,000# winch line. Now granted, I haven’t jumped whole heartedly into the poetry of Joyce Kilmer and such but, an outlook such as your feelings about trees has become understandable to me. Even admirable.

As I spend time in the canopy without the sweet stench of 2 stroke exhaust fumes wafting about or the warm, reassuring rumble of a 34,000 pound bucket truck idling nearby, I make it a point to re-think comments like yours posted above. Thanks. . .

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124806 by bareroots
Replied by bareroots on topic lead climbing
i come in on this discussion a little late.

i was wondering about the remarks on tree climbing attracting certain types and ages etc.

i'm young yet appreciate the tranquility of the trees. yet i'm also in love with the thrill of gettting places. not dagerously but with the control/focus. knowing what can be done and doing it. avoiding that which i judge i can't do. I love that responsibility.

some might say that there isn't enough thrill in climbing trees with ropes the way that it is done in 'recrational tree climbing'. I suppose in rock climbing terms it equates to 'top roping'. is there a third way between free climbing and always having a rope above you. Is there a way to lead climb a tree? are there any that do it?

does this ring any bells?

PS i would just liek to add in light of the previous two posts that I've always felt very welcomed by those on thjis site. do take care up there and keep having fun.

:)

seek treedom

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125579 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic because it's not
Trees are alive. But, rocks are not. Therefor, with rock climbing, it's all about the climber traversing an inanimate face with pit-falls. It's nothing more than dangerous golf. Ohh, the traps and the lay of the land that must be MASTERED.
In tree climbing, many people find play again. Do you remember play? We go to a place that is conducive to creativity and enjoyment and we let our playful spirit inhabit us.

As far as the Bozo Filter concept...I don't agree. I seems to me, a notion that supposes "we" are above "that". Bullshit. We are human and endowed with all the ugly, stupid, preposterous qualitites of Christopher Columbus, or Napolean or George W. Bush. Pick your prune. I personally climb with a moderate amount of ego. I think tree climbing is "cool". I like people to look at me. What makes anyone think this sport is without its' show-offs?!? More thematic would be a discussion about dealing with fear. That's part of the ability to show-off. That has value to me.

I like bareroots questions and observations. He strikes on points of why tree climbing is important to him. I like the way he uses the word focus.

Sometime, I'll tell you the whole story of the tree that spoke to me. This 40 year old Ficus Benjamina with a bee colony that lived in the tree the Ficus parasitized spoke, "Take care of me, and I will help you find your focus." It became my focus and the reason I got into tree climbing. Ask genevieve. She climbed it.

Trees are amazing.

RL

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125596 by lizardman
Replied by lizardman on topic TALKING TREES?
WOW TALKING TREES
I am but a youngish climber and relatively new to this forum.
I love climbing trees, I feel a little bit closer to the trees creator every time I climb. Although tree climbing is not mainstream as yet especially in the uk.
But I think it will be soon.

www.mighty-oak.co.uk

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #126098 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic publicity/growth
I know that this is an old thread and all but I as a newbie, would love to see who ever runs the site would maybe use their vast knowlege for more updates on information and even add some online "training" pages on different skills or knots and ropes. More discriptions and pictures(or video) of the different styles of climbing used. That would give those of us who maybe won't be able to attend training with ya'll or dont' understand your terms to get aquainted with the sport. Just more info. at the heart of your already great site to give more opportunity to learn. I know that takes time, but would greatly add to the site and the growth of the sport. :D

It's 40deg. outside and I'm warm inside,
slingshot

More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #126100 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Why is tree climbing not mainstream?
3CLIMBR says that rocks are dead. I don't really agree. It all depends on how living is defined. Rocks might not have the characteristics of plants and animals but there is still an energy associated with them. There is a much different animation of course, landslides, volcanos and other geologic energies. '

With promotion, RTC will become a much more common recreational pursuit. Wait and see.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• john e routon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #126115 by john e routon
Replied by john e routon on topic " Go forth and spread the word "
As the sport of recreational treeclimbing is taught to those who go forth to work at camps, start groves, etc... then the message will get out by the old fashion way --word of mouth. Train them well and they will be a blessing.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds