Generous Members, Sponsored Memberships

• pattyjenkins
  • pattyjenkins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124403 by pattyjenkins
Generous Members, Sponsored Memberships was created by pattyjenkins
Hey everybody,
Please read the first several posts of the "Message Board Policy Change" if you haven't read them already. It appears that Docteric has started a chain reaction. Now another generous member has donated memberships for four other people who cannot afford it on their own. This is so COOL!! THANK YOU!! We'll protect your privacy, but please identify yourself to message board readers so everybody else can thank you, too.
If anybody wants to follow suit, please let us know in the comments section of the membership form. Also tell us whether or not we can tell folks who you are. We want to do that if you'll let us.
Now our problem is: How do we determine who should get a sponsored membership? We don't have any clue about this. Please post any ideas you have.

Patty and Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bradley Ford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124405 by Bradley Ford
Replied by Bradley Ford on topic Generous Members, Sponsored Memberships

Originally posted by Patty Jenkins
Now our problem is: How do we determine who should get a sponsored membership?

You're looking for someone who can afford to both climb trees and surf the internet, but for whom the $20 annual fee, followed by $10 annual fees, will be an economic hardship.

Or maybe it should be someone who refuses to pay to post, but whose posts you consider too valuable to do without.

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124407 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Generous Members, Sponsored Memberships
What I would like to see happen is that people who are reluctant to pay apply for the "scholarship." They are now members and get posting benefits. Later on down the line, if it seems that they are active here, then we could ask them to donate to the scholarship fund.

Something about it doesn't seem to work out, though. What about those that come in, get the scholarship, stick around for a month, then leave?

I'll admit it. I sent TCI $100 dollars today. I thought long and hard about this. I just have to put my money where my mouth is. I am at odds with myself about this. On the one hand, I don't think we should be paying to be allowed to post (though paying to be part of the organization....now that I don't mind) but on the other hand, I don't want the website to diminish.

Thank you for all that I've learned thus far.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• stevebullman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124408 by stevebullman
Replied by stevebullman on topic Generous Members, Sponsored Memberships
how about members who make valuble posts in their 7 day trial but decide against carrying on the membership for whatever reason

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124409 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Scholarship Award Process
Patty,

I suppose that any set of criteria could be established to award scholarships. Here's a starter:

1. Don't advertise that it exists - in the future
2. Follow-up with a contributing newbie once the session expires.
3. If they express interest that can't continue due to finances, then establish them as a scholarship candidate.
4. Have a board of members review candidates monthly, issuing scholarships as available. Members off the board could petition for candidates to be moved to the top of the list.

The board of review would be good, because a group of people can have better insight on the most deserving. A board keeps you from being blamed if something unravels in the future.

These were just some non-tree thoughts in response to your posting. I have no idea why it caught my attention.

Regards,
JimK

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124460 by karinholm
Replied by karinholm on topic New policy regarding U2U
Dear Patty,
I think the idea of giving new viewers a week of free membership is a good idea, since it could attract new members and generate the kind of stimulating and challenging input that folks seem worried about losing.

Question: under the new policy post Jan.10th, after the week trial period can non-members still send U2U's? If so, that might be a good way to allow newbies the chance to connect with an experienced climber and get questions answered personally which might then encourage them to later pay for board membership and posting privileges.

Karin

================
Dreaming about trees!

• pattyjenkins
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124474 by pattyjenkins
Replied by pattyjenkins on topic Generous Members, Sponsored Memberships
Thanks for your question, Karin. The answer is no. Once the first week is over, new folks will have to pay to use the message board, period. Yes, we want people to be able to get their questions answered, but Peter and I need to stop paying the expenses of TCI ourselves. We hope that getting a taste of what's available on the board in the first week will encourage new people to join TCI and participate. Sorry, we just can't continue to give this away for free, which is the inevitable result of allowing U2U's after the free trial period.

Patty

• pattyjenkins
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124726 by pattyjenkins
Replied by pattyjenkins on topic New sponsored member
This message came from a guy after he became a sponsored member. We offered him membership after he told us he was laid off from his job before Christmas.

Thank you again for sponsorship. I have good news because of TCI. I became acquaintances with a tree worker. He held the old beliefs of using gaffs on all his work-heck he didn’t know squat about climbing. I took him up with me and the next month he went to Atlanta to take lessons from TCI. Now he gets around his work safer, not to mention the tree, and faster. Thanks TCI.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds